Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5

Default What are your mantras?

You know, the things you repeat in your head when temptation strikes or when you are in a difficult situation.

A while back I read a quote from some actress she said "it's not hard to eat healthy in a restaurant; it's hard to order healthy"

I don't know why, but when I say that to myself in a restaurant it's way easier to make a good choice.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #2  
Bear Down..Lost 38 in '10

S/C/G: 260.0/219.4/113.0

Height: 5'

My nick name is Bear. So...I came up with BEAR DOWN.
gottadoit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie View Post
A while back I read a quote from some actress she said "it's not hard to eat healthy in a restaurant; it's hard to order healthy"
This is SO true.

I have been making bad choices at restaurants. Although, I'm learning. I've been able to learn how to pick a good lunch at restaurants, but dinner has always taken me down the wrong path.

Recently, though, I made the choice to eat a salad, which was by far the healthiest thing on the menu, and it was hard to order it, especially with a friend telling me that I could "cheat" because I needed to eat something else other than salads.

For a moment there, I was tempted, but then I remembered that I do eat "hot" meals all the time. Made at home. Much healthier than anything I could eat this restaurant. And if I had a hot entree here, I wouldn't make it within my calories that day.

My mantra, with other things, has always been, "You've had that before. You can have it again -- another day. If you still want it. It's not going away. It'll be there."

Because I've traveled a lot, I used to eat things because I could never get them again. Now that we live in such a globalized world, I can get anything I want. There's no need to eat it now. This applies to chocolate, cakes, chips, whatever.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 280/265/140

Height: 5'6

"You've had that before. You can have it again -- another day. If you still want it. It's not going away. It'll be there."

Rana pretty much nailed it on the head. If I tell myself that it will be there tomorrow, I don't have such a hard time grabbing 1 treat instead of 4 treats, etc.
That's my trouble area, the treats.
birdtostone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/205/140

Height: 5'4

this may sound silly but somtimes I get Dr. Phil's voice in my head when I hear him say at the opening of his show 'i know things are tough out there but we can do this' it has saved me from buying cookies and wanting to eat them all at once. Also Dear God, please help me thru this moment.
Ihave also started to look online at the menu's and making a choice before going to the resturant and then sticking to the plan.
Had fries and gravy for lunch yesterday sighhhh went and did 40 mins of exercise at lunch today!
Ashley777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

- Don't drink your calories. (the Bob guy on Biggest Loser)
- To the beat of my steps on the elliptical I chant in my head.. skinny girl trapped in a fat girls body
-Loosing a pund makes me feel way better then eating that gallon of ice cream.
On my computer screen saver I stream a quote from someone on biggest loser. This quote really hit home: Every pound hides a piece of who I used to be.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacygee View Post
Every pound hides a piece of who I used to be.
oooh I like that one.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #8  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

"Eat less and exercise more, you fat f**k."

That's really the big one. Close second is "That is not the last [insert whatever is tempting me here] you will ever see."

Last edited by carter; 10-07-2010 at 03:37 PM.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #9  
Undead Diva

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 5'4.5"

You are not immune to the laws of thermodynamics.

I tell myself that when I'm not seeing what I want to see. The one thing that I've learned is that no one is so special that they are going to break the laws of physics or that dieting and exercise don't work. Guess what, nature very rarely makes exceptions to this rule and anyone who complains is just not doing it right.

So even when I see the scale go up, when I want to eat a burger instead of a salad, when I want to go home instead of the gym, I remember that if I stick to a plan of healthy eating and activity, SOMETHING is going to happen. And usually... It does. Sometimes it takes a while to see results but just remember that it's calories in, calories out and you're good.
MadameZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #10  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
"Eat less and exercise more, you fat f**k.
ROFL!

I'm not a big fan of calling myself names or shaming myself into weight loss, but every now and then we just need a swift kick in the butt. That'd do it! Struck me SO funny! I'm still LOL!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #11  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

At one point I read here "pull up your big girl panties" and do what you know you should, not what you want to (like a toddler). When I'm somewhere being tempted to buy something I know I shouldn't, putting my hands on my waist and picturing pulling up my panties makes me laugh a bit and make the smarter choice most of the time.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #12  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonmb View Post
ROFL!

I'm not a big fan of calling myself names or shaming myself into weight loss, but every now and then we just need a swift kick in the butt. That'd do it! Struck me SO funny! I'm still LOL!
I'm so glad, that's really my intention with it - a little tongue-in-cheek tough talk for myself. It comes from another weight-loss board I was involved in years ago, and was a common refrain of a man who was very unpopular because of the rude, abrasive way he often phrased his comments. Abrasive as he was, though, a lot of what he said got through to me and stuck with me. Go figure!

Careysings: "Pull up your big-girl panties" has become one of my favorite expressions of late. Excellent choice!

Last edited by carter; 10-07-2010 at 05:10 PM.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/130

[QUOTE=birdtostone;3512622]"You've had that before. You can have it again -- another day. If you still want it. It's not going away. It'll be there."

That is my facorite saying also. I also tell myself, you already know what it tastes like since youve eaten a whole one before-you do not need it again-I am a recovering binge eater!
leeshalulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 276/270/160

Height: 5'4

I tell myself that the time will pass either way--whether I'm gaining or losing. I'd rather spend the time losing. I don't want to look back on yet another year, as I so often do and realize that 365 days have passed with not even a single pound lost.
onherweighdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/115

Height: 4'10"

One of my husband and I's dearest friends was a man named Alex. I would be willing to bet that every one you has now, or had at one time, an Alex in your life. Alex was charming, witty, brilliant, kind, generous..all those things that make a person into a good person. He was also, unfortunately, very unattractive. Alex spent all the years we knew him trying to find the woman who would be willing to see him for what he was, and not just the part of him that showed to the eyes. In 1997 at the age of 31, however, I guess Alex got tired of looking and took his own life.
Anyway..many years earlier when we were both about 23 or so, I was trying to quit smoking, and I told him that I guessed I just had no will power. He told me that a "lack of willpower" was the dumbest phrase in the world. He said that your will is your own, how can you have no power over it? The problem was that we just frequently didnt really know what our will was. Kris, he said, you are an intelligent, reasonable, and sane person. No reasonable, sane, and intelligent person, knowing what cigarettes do to them, could actually WANT to smoke. You don't really want to, you have just convinced yourself that you do. Once you finally realise fully and completely that you dont want to smoke, quitting will be a breeze.

So now..when I look at those cookies on my counter, or the nachos on the menu at a restaurant, I just say to myself that sane, reasonable, and intelligent people know better....
TornadoSiren is offline   Reply With Quote