Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 11:13 PM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Default quick question

Hi Ladies (and Gents)
I've been mulling over the decision for WLS since the summer when my sis had it done And I'm going to make an appt with her doc
I just had a question How long is the recovery process? my sis had some complications but now shes 4 months out and doing great
I came to the decision b/c/ I'm 26 and for the last few years I ahve been losign and gaining he same 30 pounds I'm 205 I'm 5'3 and I have cerebral palsy My physical abilities are waning due to the stress the weight has on my frame and I dont want to be stuck in a wheelchair at 36 its not a looks thing its a life thing
thanks for the ears
Kier
Old 10-28-2002, 07:48 PM   #2  

Kier,

Recovery times for WLS differ. It all depends on which surgery you choose. Which surgery were you talking about?

I have the Lap-Band and can only speak from that prospective. My surgery was on a Tuesday and I was released from the hospital on Wednesday. Most Lap-Band paitients feel well enough to go shopping and such about 2 days after surgery. You're not bunging jumping, but it just seems that you heal fast. Everyone is different though. As far as going back to work, that is up to you and your Doctor. Some people go back quickly, like in a week or less, and some which may have higher stress jobs wait until they are on solid foods because you are making a big life change and sometimes the healing is just as much mental as it is physical, if not more so. I believe that would be the case with any type of WLS.

A good website to check out any type of WLS is:

www.spotlighthealth.com

Good Luck!

Blondee
Lap-Band
10/1/2002
-30 lbs.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:17 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

Default hey there, kier...

i'm with blondee... what are you planning???

from the rny view.. in on tuesday morning, home on thursday afternoon. 4-6 weeks recovery, and some folks need a little more. things hurt REALLY BAD for a couple of days [like, tieing shoes isn't easy, and find someone else to clean the litter box!]. it goes away.

and the next 3 months are not always pretty. you eat something and throw it up. you're forcing yourself to eat, and drink. the weight is pouring off, but you're constipated and tired and throwing up. gee... are you now anorexic or pregnant????

some days, it's just tomato soup with american cheese melted into it.

but after those 3 months, life gets MUCH MUCH easier. and going into this, i decided that those 3 months would END, and having a lifetime of lower weight was worth this temporary pain and frustration.

you're doing the right thing by asking all these questions.... keep them coming!!!
Old 10-29-2002, 12:19 PM   #4  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I'm going to ask about the surgery my sis had the roux err i can't spell it
rou y en or something like that but i think it will have to wait for the summer so I dont screw up school in case my recoverys not stellar
Closed Thread