General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Height: 5'

Default Sizing charts always wrong?

So I've always seemed to have this issue. I'll be wearing size 14 jeans, and the manufacture size charts says I should be wearing 22's. Usually, I just buy what feels right in fit, and don't worry about it. But I'm trying to buy the perfect Halloween costume, and it's looking like I may have to order one.

So, I tried on this "teens" costume, and to my amazement, the 11/13 fit. It was a little form fitting, but in such a way that it was flattering. I did not get it because it was a little too tight on my always-not-to-proportion-huge arms. Now, the waist on the 11/13 says it's 28". My waist is a 40". Ok, they have this costume in an adult large, which says the waist is 31". So what the heck do I do? Do I assume the slightly bigger measurements than the one I tried on will make it still form fitting/not too baggy, and let my chubby granny flab arms breathe? If I go with what their size charts say, I'd be in a XXXXL!

Anyone else have this problem??? I feel like a freak! How can my 40" waist fit COMFORTABLY in something labeled 31"? It's not remotely tight. Am I not understanding something about sizing charts? Advice? Thoughts?

Edit to add: It's not just the sizing chart. I found one website that said they had literally measured the dress, because they did not trust the charts. Yeah, don't blame em!

Last edited by Gold32; 10-05-2010 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Adding info.
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #2  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I'm right there with you. I actually just posted something very similar about jeans sizes. Something that is way too baggy on me is usually labeled a lot of inches smaller than me. I think it's vanity sizing. Either that or I really, really can't measure myself AT ALL. I'm off by like 10 inches. Lol!

It's not just you. Everyone has been noticing this, and it's pretty likely due to the fact that the population is getting larger but doesn't want to buy larger sizes, so the size title stays the same and clothes get bigger. It's very confusing when trying to buy clothing. The best thing to do is guesstimate and/or try things on.

I'm struggling with the same issues. I don't know what will fit me just by the size, generally. It's trial and error. I think we need standardized sizing...

Good luck!
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #3  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Are you measuring at the right spot, the smallest part of your waist?
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4star View Post
Are you measuring at the right spot, the smallest part of your waist?
I attempt to. I've tried measuring at several spots to be sure, so it's possible I'm off by a little bit, but not by too much. I hope.

LiannaKole- thanks! Good to know that at least I'm not the only one. I know vanity sizing is an issue, but it seems like it's getting absurd, or that they are downright lying at this point. Is that your name by the way? I love Lianna.
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #5  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

I was just remembering when I order I have to measure my "waist" just under my ribs b/c of my roll of fat. If I use the measurement from my actual waist with my roll, the size charts say I am several sizes larger and my proportions don't match up. I have to kinda leave out the waist measurement and go by bust and hip measurements to find my size.

I would imagine with different cuts and styles of clothing they couldn't do a standard and no one could wear the same size all the time b/c they wouldn't always fit the pattern cuts the same. Sometimes, you just gotta go up or down a size to suit the style to your body. I sympathize though, I have a big boobs and it's hard to find clothing. Most clothiers just don't make tops cut the way I need them unless they are trashy styling which is fine for clubbing but not carpooling.

Last edited by 4star; 10-05-2010 at 04:07 PM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #6  
this space for rent

S/C/G: 274/274/140

Height: 5'8"

It is also important to know where & how the manufacture thinks the item should be worn (like low on the hips in the case of jeans). the problem is that the manufacturers/designers don't share that info with the customer. Personally, i like the taylored look that an ordered costume gave me. (I cosplay, so a good fit is important for certain characters). Ask to try on costumes at the halloween stores. the sales folk are fairly accomodating.
eroica27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #7  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Personally, I try to measure where the charts say I should, but even if I'm not measuring the right place, I don't think I should be 5-10 inches off in most places. In fact, if the jeans are meant to be worn lower, I'm actually even MORE off because my hips are bigger than my waist and even measuring my waist I should be too big for the pants (that are actually baggy).

Unless they're meant to be worn around my ribs, I think the sizing is probably off...

Gold32 - Nope, you're not the only one. Definitely an issue for me. And thanks! I love the name too, always have, luckily.

Last edited by LiannaKole; 10-05-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Spelling and typos, as per my usual issues.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote