South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #1  
Queen of shifting minds

Height: 5'6-1/2"

Default Gearing up to start SBD

I'm currently around 160 pounds and my normal weight is 132-135. I really want to get back there. I have lost weight in the past with Weight Watchers, and kept it off for years. I recently met and married my husband, and we both have put on weight. since then, I have not done well with WW, and think I need a new approach. Plus with WW, I got caught up in the points, and found I wasn't making the healthiest of choices.

Recently all of my efforts have been failures, as I lost the steam and motivation.

I am a bit frustrated right now. My DH is getting geared up to start the SBD, I am planning on making lifestyle changes, but am reluctant to be on a strict diet as I would be setting myself up for failure.

So, I am gathering up the courage to start. Hoping that hanging out here will help me get going. I am excited to be making healthier choices and eating real food instead of making unhealthy (even if they are low cal) choices.
BelovedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #2  

Welcome! I'm new to the forums here, but not new to the beach.

SB really isn't a "strict" diet. The first 2 weeks are going to be very restrictive, but as you move into P2, you are just changing the way you eat to move over from processed foods to their unprocessed whole grain versions. If you're in it for the long-haul, those 2 weeks are just a drop in the bucket.

I've been in P2 for 7 months. I eat lasagna, spaghetti, rice, bread, etc. I just eat whole wheat pastas, brown rice, and 100% whole grain breads. Those starches are not the focus of my meals anymore, but just a complement to it. It's a lot about learning proper portions. 1/2 c. of cooked rice or pasta is a serving, not a plate full. 1 oz. of bread is a serving, not 2 large slices. If this was a strict diet, there is not way I would still be on it. It's just a healthy way of eating with the added bonus of weight loss!

It's just a shift in your way of thinking. Good luck!
SusanMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

I've lost 22lbs in 1mth on this program.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #4  
Thin Girl in Training

S/C/G: 285.5/269.4/180

Height: 5'5"

I too have had success with WW in the past, losing about 35lbs last year, and gaining back about 20 of those! I came to SBD for the same reason, WW just wasn't working for me when I went back to it.

I've been doing this for a month, and have lost 14lbs. I eat out about once a week or so and have always found something tasty on any menu that worked for how I wanted to eat. I am not ever hungry, and I don't have carb/sugar cravings anymore. (I shocked myself when I turned down pizza the other night, not something I could have done 6 weeks ago!)
chubbybunny29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #5  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I don't consider following SB to be a "strict diet", but rather a lifestyle change which emphasizes whole foods.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: maintaining

I envy you having your husband on the plan at the same time! It will make life so much easier for you both. I have also done WW before and was the queen of low-point foods that may not have been the healthiest of choices. I think the key to any of these is that we change our paradigms from the notion of a diet that ends to a way of eating that lasts. I think SB is much more doable long-term than counting points.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #7  
Queen of shifting minds

Thanks guys This sounds really promising. DH has been hogging my SBD book, so I found a new one on clearance, so I can motivate myself. I am slowly easing into it. I will finish some of the foods on my shelves (the refried beans with sugar added) and stuff that I want to use, and is not really unhealthy. I also have groceries and a menu planned until this weekend.

I am thinking that by the end of this week we will commit. When I plan next week's menu, it will be phase one.

I am so excited!!
Old 10-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #8  
Queen of shifting minds

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaistingTime View Post
I have also done WW before and was the queen of low-point foods

This was me, and I picked up a diet soda habit