Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-01-2010, 12:02 AM   #1  
The Story Re-Written

S/C/G: 384/227/180-235

Height: 6ft 4in

Default Sorta Embarrassing Question

I am almost (a few days away) seven months out from my gastric bypass and for some reason, four days ago I developed a bad case of the runs. I had thought that it may have been something that I ate and would pass (no pun intended), however, that was Monday. Here it is Thursday and I am still having problems, though not as bad as it was.

I have tried looking back on what it was that I have eaten the last few days and for some reason, I am not finding anything particularly that would cause such a severe reaction for days. I tried eating some mashed potatoes to maybe firm things up, but so far, nothing, granted, I just ate some a few hours ago.

So, my question, has anyone else had this problem and is it something that I should be calling my surgeon or regular doctor about?

Last edited by TheStorySoFar; 10-01-2010 at 12:02 AM.
TheStorySoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

honey - is it possible that there's a virus running around your town? just because we had surgery doesn't mean we escape things like the flu or rotavirus or anything else like that.

make sure - most important!!! - that you're keeping hydrated during this. getting dehydrated will land you in the hospital, and we don't want that. and if it's not better today, give the doc a call - even if you have a bug, 5+ days of this is a little much.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I agree with staying hydrated as priority #1!

Beyond that, do you take a probiotic normally? If not, it is possible to have an intestinal bacterial overgrowth.

I'm not sure what mashed potatoes would do, but I would try adding fiber - it can work for many people in both directions (help get things moving when constipated or help firm things up).

Are you taking all your vitamins regularly? I notice that when I miss my vites for a week or so (not a frequent occurrence, but I won't say it doesn't happen from time to time), I start having much looser bowel movements - I think it's the calcium that helps me maintain the consistency.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #4  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I freaked out the first time I got sick...its a completely different experience then before surgery. Just felt very tired and had the same intestinal symptoms you're having.

Maybe try drinking some G2 to replace the electrolytes. If you try reg. Gatorade, dilute it so you don't dump (if you have that problem).

If it continues, I would call your dr.

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:35 AM   #5  
The Story Re-Written

jiffypop ~ I haven't heard of anyone being sick, but that's not saying a whole lot as I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off the last few days. I have made sure to get liquids in so I won't get dehydrated, maybe more than I should considering what's going on. :/ It seems to be slowing a little. I have gone from multiple trips to the bathroom in a couple hours for that, to two today, however, I will be calling my doctor on Monday if I don't go to Urgent Care over the weekend to see someone.

jillybean ~ What is a probiotic exactly? I haven't had either my surgeon or doctor ever recommend I take one, so I am a little in the dark on that one. I have been told in the past (prior to surgery) that when you have diarrhea eat mashed potatoes or rice, things like that which will help to firm things up. They didn't work, sadly. I do take my vitamins regularly, however, I haven't been as diligent with the calcium. Maybe it's finally coming back to bite me.

missangelaks ~ I'm not sure I'm sick exactly. I don't feel sick and haven't had any symptoms of being so, but that doesn't mean that I might not have something, I suppose. I'll give the G2 a try just to make sure that I'm not losing too much of anything important. Definitely making a call to my doctor on Monday, if I don't go to Urgent Care over the weekend.

Thanks for the responses. I had thought things had passed, no pun intended, however, I am still having really loose stools. They aren't as frequent or as bad as they were a few days ago, but still enough to have me concerned that something just ain't right.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #6  
Eating for two!

Definitely make sure you're getting all your calcium in - obviously, you should anyway, but I definitely notice a difference when I don't.

A probiotic is a capsule that contains good bacteria (like the stuff in yogurt, those "live active cultures" that are so good). Our intestines contain, in simplified terms, good and bad bacteria that are normally in a balance to keep things normal. However, some things can cause the bad bacteria a chance to flourish and lessen the good bacteria. I know most DS patients I know take a very strong probiotic call Primal Defense Ultra, but you can buy less potent forms at any drug store (CVS, Walgreen's, Rite aid, etc.) or major store with a pharmacy section (Walmart, Target, etc.). Pre-op, I used one called Culturelle that I could easily find in most stores.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #7  
The Story Re-Written

I ended up going to Urgent Care this morning and found out that it is a bacterial infection. I have prescriptions for an antibiotic and an anti-diarrheal medicine. My boyfriend also decided to inform me that he had been having the same problem for the last four days... this morning! He's heard me going on about it and just decided to let me know. I also found out that I have lost six pounds in as many days. :/ Not too happy about that, only because it wasn't the way to lose it.

I am currently on a bland diet for the next two days and lots and lots of liquids to stay hydrated. Again, thanks to the responses I got here.

Last edited by TheStorySoFar; 10-02-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #8  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Good for you going to see the dr...nice for you to find out what it was! Get better soon!
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #9  
Eating for two!

Glad you got an answer! I still suggest starting a probiotic after you've finished the antibiotic - should help with bacterial issues in the future.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #10  
Old Cackler

what jilly said, and i'm glad that you got an answer. since the surgery, sometimes i'll have some 'intestinal problems' without any other symptoms [although sometimes a slight fever and feeling a little tired] and then i'll find out that people around me are dropping like flies and in bed for several days.

some people do really well with Jamie LEe Curtis's yogurt [can't remember what it is!], and others make sure to eat yogurt that has live cultures, and some take supplements. but it's usually a good idea to do one of these for at least a couple of weeks to 're-set' your innards. whether you continue it afterwards is up to you. some people think they're great. you might want to have a chat with your doc about it.

feel better!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote