PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #1  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Default PCOS October 2010 Support

It's Ocotober 2010! (The September thread is here.)

Let's have a roll call! Who's here this month? How are you? What are you working on? How was last month? How's your PCOS management going?

Here's the exercise minutes for October too.

Let's beat this PCOS thing!

best wishes,
A.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Who's here this month?

I'm here and hopefully will be more present this month! And "Astrophe" still rhymes with "catastrophe."

How are you?

I'm ok, but a bit tired. Helping my divorcing friend move to apartment... friend is sad, but I think establishing new home will help the healing process.

What are you working on?

Getting back on the wagon! Last night I cleaned up the kitchen. Today I did groceries and my full 7 day Bistro MD box came in. I ordered my replacement sneakers so I can work out with proper shoes.

I anticipate another 2 weeks at least of work crazy before it's normal there again, and then slowly tapering down the friend support as things become the "new normal" there... but I'm not waiting any more to refocus on me. I'm just going to plow through it and get back on track as best I can.

I don't need to do this at 100% A+ level. Even 70% is passing grade right? And so what if I don't lose 5 lbs this month? I'd be totally fine losing 70% -- 3.5 is 3.5 lbs!

So go me!

How was last month? How's your PCOS management going?

Last month was super busy, but ok on the PCOS front. I'm doing well on the OrthoCylcen, I'm sleeping well, and my energy is good. I have my next doc visit in early November... we'll see how labs turn out!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 09-30-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #3  
HE'S my motivation!

S/C/G: 238.8 / 238.8 / 140

Height: 5'3

Who's here this month?
Me! Mally here. Hope you all had a wonderful month of September. =)

How are you?
So far so good. I have lost 9lbs. Trying to stay active & motivated & not let anything hold me back.

What are you working on?
Eating healthy, working out more & longer [building up to the longer]. Also getting support from friends, family & especially a nutritionist & OB/GYN.

How was last month?
Last month was good. It could have been better. Each month I walk away with do's and don'ts for the following month. This month is "Don't give in!" That's to bad foods and the little voice inside that tells me I'm too tired to go to the gym. LOL I hope this month I can have another 9 lbs loss.

How's your PCOS management going?
Always could be better, of course. Just taking it a day at a time with the weightless & I hope eventually all the symptoms will either not be so noticeable or just go away. But we will see. I'll take either one.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Who's here this month?

I am. I'm new to 3FC. I joined recently because I need support to get through this whole thing (losing weight with PCOS).

How are you?

I'm okay. Not great. I hate to admit that a pound on a scale can affect me so much, but it did today.

I tend to be so optimistic about everything, that this is strange for me.

What are you working on?

So many things! But all of them good things. My new thing is lowering my calories to 1500 in the month of October (I'm currently doing 1600).

How was last month?

Last month was frustrating. I saw my weight go up and I needed it to go down. I went to see my endo, which was a good experience, because he knows his PCOS (rather than my previous endo who didn't). I did my bloodwork, which came out great -- my cholesterol levels are at 116 (with great HDL, great LDL, and great Tri numbers). My testosterone is slightly elevated (of course), but I passed my GTT with no problems. My doctor is thinking about putting me on Metformin and later this month, I have an appointment to talk to him.

I guess I say all of this to point out that despite the scale going UP, I was doing the right things -- I wasn't eating a ton of junk, I was watching my calories, I was exercising (5 - 7 hours a week or more).

So, I get sad and frustrated that despite all of that, the scale AND inches do not go down.

Good, because of the appointment with the doc! My next step is to continue to figure out what works for me in terms of weight-loss. I'm going to start lowering my calories to 1500, which I know means less options for treats of any kind. I'm hoping 1500 is enough to get the weight-loss started again.

I'm also going away for the weekend in a couple of weeks and that's going to be an interested test for my 1500 days. I will have to go prepared.

And I guess, if I get the Metformin, that will be interesting. I've heard both good things and bad, but I don't know if I want to get on it. I tend to go more the "natural" route, with minimal processed foods and no other medication, and I'm worried about side-effects.

I've also started taking my vitamin D supplements and I'm going to be adding to that Chromium as well, which is supposed to help insulin resistance. Maybe with those (in addition to the other supplements I already take) I might get this under control before resorting to Metformin.

I'm giving myself until my doctor's appointment later this to month to lose a substantial amount of weight (5 pounds in three weeks). If I can't, then I'll accept the Metformin. If I can, then maybe my new changes mean I don't have to start taking it immediately.

Wish me luck.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:00 AM   #5  
chubby punk

S/C/G: tick..tick...boom

I'm here! I'm doing well. Last month I started the South Beach diet, today was my second weigh in and I lost another 3lbs, which I am happy with. I'm now into Phase 2 of the diet so I can have some bread with breakfast again.
As for my PCOS, I had a doctors appointment this week to get a pap test since I hadnt had one in five years. Oops! Waiting up to a month for the results to be posted out, which is annoying. I asked my doc if she would recommend Metformin and she said only if I was trying to conceive, which I am not, so for now I guess I go without.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/168/140

Height: 5' 6"

Who's here this month?

I am also new to 3FC. just started today. Dieting with MRC. In Meta-slim yellow phase day 2

How are you?

Doing well except cheated a bit on diet by eating a bread with butter and cheese. Feeling a bit guilty about it.

What are you working on?

Working on losing 30-40 lbs to get to goal weight. Working on school, 4 classes away from BS, working at work and working to keep my family healthy and happy.

How was last month?

Last month was good and bad. Good at work and with family life but it seems all my friends are not really the friends I thought they were.

So far, so good. On Metformin and have an IUD in place. Also taking too many supplements for MRC which I will list below. Can't wait to see how my labs are the next time I go to doc appointment.

CoQ10
Vitamin D3
Essential Fatty Acids
Multi vitamins
B6
B12
MRC Fat burner

There may be more but that's what I remember off the top of my head.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:07 AM   #7  
pgh

Who's here this month?
I am!

What are you working on?
Working out! Doc & I are trying to work thru the natural way (weight loss etc) for 6 months before starting any medication. I am currently on month 5.

How was last month?
Last month was frustrating.. was stuck on the same weight for nearly the entire month ... despite doing low GI foods and averaging 4 days a week working out.

Better .. or so I feel .. skin is great, TOM is regular on the clock, mood swings are more stable. Still losing quite a bit of hair from my head .. its becoming a cause for concern now. Probably go back the the doc by the end of October to check on things... especially ovulation.

October the target is 6-7 lbs. Really want to achieve it .. will definitely try very hard!

161 / 139 / 115
healthier living since June 2010

Last edited by pgh; 10-04-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:24 AM   #8  
HE'S my motivation!

Today was a lazy day for me. Regret not walking the dog but I am sore from swimming last night. I found a way to do push ups on the stairs in the water. OMG! My arms hurt. But I'm glad because I always work on my legs and hardly on my arms.

Making it a short post. Way past my bedtime =| Blah to Monday.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:34 AM   #9  
kellie105

S/C/G: 292.5/284.8/170

Height: 5'6

Hi! im a bit of a lurker but i really want to try and lose some weight! Finally i am done with the TTC issues and i think we are done having babies...maybe! I have been on MET for a few years and it does stabilize my weight but in the last little bit ive not been taking it like i should since Ella was born. I am going to try calorie counting again since at one time i lost 60 pounds this way. My target is 1800 calories
Old 10-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Nice to see so many on board in October!

I'm getting ready to make an Italian-style brown rice with artichoke and peas recipe for a community potluck I'm going to. I don't know if you guys would like it, but it's on plan for me.

It's page 124 in this book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=tjP...page&q&f=false

Anyway, when I get home from the gathering I want to try to get a short workout in. I'm way more accountable on exercise when I tell the group. So I'm telling!

More later...

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 10-04-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #11  

My weight came down again! Yay, back to 180(.6).

Today was my first day of 1500. Over the weekend, I did two hours of exercising on Saturday and then over 4 hours on Sunday, so my calorie intake was higher. I did stick to high protein and reduced/balanced my carbs for both days so I could at least do that.

I've also started taking the chromium but I don't feel any different. I guess we'll see if it makes any difference in my weight loss. My body is such an experiment.

But, I was looking at my inches lost this year and even though I was weighing 180 for many months right now, my inches have gone down. People are now commenting on how much weight I've lost, but the sad reality is that I haven't lose any!
Old 10-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #12  
WW Moderator

Who's here this month?
Me! And hopefully more interactive this month! Soooo many sticks in the fire last month.

How are you?
Doing well. Symptoms seem to be light, and shedding a few pounds! NOT looking forward to fall and fall weather. I'm such a sun and heat freak.

What are you working on?
Working on getting in more exercise. It's the only area in my life that is being neglected. Oh, that and sleep!

How was last month?

I'm doing great with food, even while I was on vacation. It's really easy for me to say 'no' right now. But I'm having a terrible time trying to get in exercise! When I do, I find it harder to control my eating. I suppose my body is asking for more calories, no matter which form.

Right now I'm doing great. Me and my tweezers can tackle anything. No breakouts, no hair loss, or any other issues. I've been eating clean since June and it's made a huge difference in my life.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #13  
WW Moderator

Rana, what kind of chromium? My nutritionist said to take chelated chromium. It's a bit harder to find, but she said it works better and also empties from the body much easier. She doesn't recommend any other kind of chromium.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 3FC View Post
Rana, what kind of chromium? My nutritionist said to take chelated chromium. It's a bit harder to find, but she said it works better and also empties from the body much easier. She doesn't recommend any other kind of chromium.
I'm taking chromium polynicotinate, which is a chromium that is chelated with Niacin (B3) which is another vitamin that we also need to process sugar better.

I found it at my Whole Foods.

I am not taking the piccolinate because of the studies that show chromosomal damage and honestly, there's enough cancer in my family already, I don't need to add more to it.

They say this is the best "absorb-able" chromium.

I hope that helps. I can get you the brand if you want it.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #15  
HE'S my motivation!

Quick post before I go to work.

Down 10lbs!!!! So happy!!! On a journey to lose another 10lbs. Small goals is best for me.
Closed Thread