Old 09-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 277/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

Default Heavy Cream?

This may be a silly question, but are heavy cream and heavy whipping cream the same thing? What is it you all put in your coffee? I looked in the dairy section at the grocery and couldn't find anything called just heavy cream in with the other creamers. I ended up buying half and half which is only 1 carb per serving because it's all I could find. Any clarification is greatly appreciated!!
AydaKenzington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #2  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Ayda, hope this helps...often "Whipping Cream" has an additive in it to stabilize the cream once it's whipped, and "Heavy Cream" doesn't and has a little more fat in it. I use Heavy Cream for everything.

Whipping cream and heavy cream are not always the same thing.
The USDA regulates how much fat must be in certain dairy products sold in the US. What they are called has to do with fat content, not additives like carageenan.
By law, to be called "heavy cream" a cream must have at least 36% milkfat and can have more.
By law, "light whipping cream" must have at least 30% but less than 36% milkfat.
"Light cream" (sometimes called "coffee cream") must have at least 18% milkfat, but less than 30%
"Half and Half" must have at least 10.5% milkfat, but less than 18%

and:

The dairies near me use carrageenan or other additives in their "whipping cream" to help the cream remain stable. Whipping cream also has a little less fat, in some cases. I prefer heavy, and you can use heavy cream in any recipe that calls for whipping.

Source: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/368546

The Chowhound boards are a pretty reliable source of information (and amazing recipes, but not for Atkins chicks); if anyone makes an error, there are plenty of "Chowhounds" quick to correct!

Last edited by sandyfanny; 09-26-2010 at 03:53 PM.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:17 AM   #3  
cher37

For "Heavy Cream" recipes, I use "Table cream" 18% milk fat, 15 ml = 1 g carb

For "Whipping Cream", I use "Whipping cream" 35% milk fat, 15 ml = 0 g carb

I'm not much of a milk or cream person, but will whip up some "whipping cream" for on top of sf/ff jelly or for a dessert coffee - and just tonight, used some to make ice cream

I made some of sandyfanny's cauliflower soup this week, and bought & used "Table cream" for it - the soup turned out great!

... guess it depends on where you live, what's available from your dairy & # carbs you want to 'spend' on your cream - enjoy it all the same!
Old 09-27-2010, 06:51 AM   #4  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Soup anyone?

I'm glad you enjoyed the cauliflower soup, Cher. Everyone loves it, even cauliflower "haters." It's one of my daughters' favorites.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 277/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

Thanks for the help ladies!
AydaKenzington is offline   Reply With Quote