Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #1  
No description available.

Default Things that make you go MMMMM

We all know that eating healthy can be delicious too. What are some of the things you've eaten recently that are yummy and healthy?

Yesterday I had protein pancakes that I folded around fresh sliced strawberries for "strawberry tacos." Monday night we had roasted chicken with roasted zucchini and potatoes. Simple and yummy. Tuesday night I sauteed mushrooms, zucchini, spinach and green chilie and had it with some beans and avocado.

How about you? Anything extra yummy lately?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #2  
Meg

Grilled marinated sea bass ...

Buffalo burger with lettuce, tomato, onion and guacamole (no bun) ...

Honeycrisp apples ...

I've been making a kind of protein pancake using equal amounts of Bob's Red Mill High Fiber pancake mix, FF cottage cheese, and egg whites, with a shake of cinnamon ...
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #3  

Mmm....I like guac on pretty much anything, but that burger sounds particularly delicious. Who needs the bun when all the good stuff is what's in between anyway?

Do you grill the seabass on an outdoor grill? I have to say I've never grilled fish. I've grilled shrimp, but I usually cook my fish in the oven.

Apples! Best time of year for them! Mmmm!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #4  
Meg

I've grilled fish on an outdoor grill, but an easy and quick alternative is to use a grill pan. Mine is made by All Clad and I bought it at Amazon.

It's also fantastic for grilling onions and peppers for fajitas (you should try buffalo fajitas!)
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Pomegranates are back in the market! I had some arils on my arugula today. And a little bit of goat cheese.

Roasted portabella mushrooms, marinated first in olive oil, balmsaic vinegar, a bit of black pepper & some crumbled thyme.

A Dr. Praeger's veggie burger. (I'd never had that brand before & had a coupon & one of those grocery promotions where they double your $1 coupon.) Is that okay to mention, as it's not a natural food? It wasn't burger-ish but I really liked it.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #6  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Last night I made cod 3 ways, all baked with zero oil and took 10 mins including prep:
- with ginger and grapefruit
- with lemon thyme and fresh lemon
- with heirloom cherry tomatoes and basil.

Steamed some green beans to go with.

My fav quick thing is kale. God I love me some kale!
- lightly steamed with a ton of garlic and a lil salt
- barely steamed to make easier to wrap, then wrapped around veggies like shredded carrots, cabbage, jicama, apples, etc (add green goddess dipping sauce if you like!)
- raw, with purple onions, lemon juice and feat (add walnuts if you like)
And I recently heard about shiratake noodles, but havent had them yet. Its made from the root of a japanese veggie and found in the cold section packed in water. Basically tasteless when drained from water but CARB and calorie free. Just a lil fiber. Add a bunch of spices and veggies and mmmmm noodles! Cant wait to try.
Also - Grissini, the italian breadsticks that are like 18in long have only 20 cal and are so crunchy they really help my carb desires
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 211/130/140

Height: 5'-8"

My boy made me bbq roasted zucchini brushetta last weekend. Its was incredible!

I needed it too because I've been living off fridge/freezer/pantry leftovers in anticipation of a move.
Cally Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Howdy,
I revently spiced up my "riced" cauliflower with the same seasonings I did for the family's spanish rice and it was heavenly. I truly enjoyed each and every bite more than I would have with the rice. I was born in Louisiana and this is saying something.

So I try cauliflower exactly like rice when needed, including the seasonings. Too much fun.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Homemade baked falafel patties with a cilantro mint yogurt sauce.

Turkey and black bean chili packed full of veggies and cooked in the crockpot all day.

Those were the standouts from this week, I think.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:42 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
Do you grill the seabass on an outdoor grill? I have to say I've never grilled fish. I've grilled shrimp, but I usually cook my fish in the oven.
I grill fish - in my case salmon - on my gas grill most of the year. I don't like the fishy smell in my kitchen. I just make sure the grate is clean, and give it a swipe with olive oil. I usually put the skin side down first and then when it's mostly done, flip it over to get that grill flavor/look on the other side. I do bake it sometimes, esp when it's too snowy on my deck, but mostly we grill it.

Best thing this week, "fried rice" from leftover brown rice. Sauteed onions, peppers, patty pan squash, celery, mushrooms, then added in the rice (heated up first), stirred altogether, added a little Yoshida's gourmet sauce, and served (DH adds a lot more sauce at the table). Served with butternut squash - my very favorite!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #11  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Homemade baked falafel patties with a cilantro mint yogurt sauce.

Turkey and black bean chili packed full of veggies and cooked in the crockpot all day.

Those were the standouts from this week, I think.
Is your recipe for the baked falafel patties & sauce here somewhere? It sounds really yummy! Can you direct me to it or would you post it. I'd really like to try it.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:40 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I have a similar grill pan and I ADORE it.

Cauliflower? Love and adore it as well.

I've been making frittatas. Soooo good. Lots of sauteed, seasoned veggies, placed in a round tin, with egg whites poured over it and topped with sliced tomatoes which I first roast in the oven. DELISH!!

I also made this past week a kind of savory squash pudding, using zucchini, onions and mushrooms that is quite yummy.

I made lemon chicken this week.

Hmmmm, anything else?

Okay, nothing new, but worth a mention - roasted green beans with onions and garlic. The green beans happened to be at their best this past week.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 174/174/145

Height: 5'7''

xty-
Shiratake noodles are awesome! Just mke sure you rinse them well. I usually let them sit in hot water for 5 min before mixing then with some veggies. Be sure to drain them as well. I blot them with some paper towels before adding extras. This is a great way to use any leftover veggies from previous dinners. Just reheat them and toss them in with your noodles. Yum!
peevah00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #14  

I agree with WebRover! Recipies please!! I am particularly interested in the falafel and squash pudding recipes as well as the technique behind the cauliflower rice. If you please, ladies! (crossing fingers in hope)
Old 09-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I too would very much like that cauliflower recipe. I happen to have 2 cauliflowers sitting in the fridge.

SAVORY SQUASH PUDDING

8 large green zucchini, peeled and cut into 4 or 5 chunks each

Place in a large pot, cover with water and boil till very soft. Drain in a colander. Right there in the colander, mash the zucchini with a fork. This will be easy to do. Let it continue to drain in the colander for a while. You want to remove the liquid.

Meanwhile, in a large non stick skillet, heat about 1 tsp oil. Saute a large, diced onion. When the onion is brown, add 1 8 oz pkg of white mushrooms, sliced. Brown those as well.

I now put the mashed zucchini back in the pot I cooked it in (instead of a bowl - less clean up), add the onion/mushroom mixture. Beat one whole egg and one egg white, add to the mix. Season with salt, pepper and onion powder to taste. Pour into a 9 x 13 pan, till it is set in the middle and edges are brown in a 350 - 375 degree oven. Enjoy!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote