Old 09-24-2010, 08:32 AM   #1  

Default Does Anyone Count Calorie Points (Not WW Points)?

Does anyone count calorie points? I got the concept from an article in Shape magazine years ago and ordered the booklet mentioned in the article.

It's like Weight Watchers points, but easier. Anyone doing this? I've tried everything these past few years, and I'm thinking of going back to it. I lost all my weight counting calorie points back in the late 80's. Weight Watchers points are so much more complicated.

Anyone doing this?
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #2  

Height: 5'0"

No, but I would like to hear more about it. Please share.
leannerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #3  

I did this many years ago and was successful at it. Instead of counting calories you count points, like Weight Watchers, but the difference is it's much easier.

With Weight Watchers you have to convert calories, fiber and fat into points. With calorie points it's a simple conversion table of calories to points. One point equals 75 calories. So if I want to eat 1800 calories in a day I'll eat 24 points. The adding is a lot easier.

The booklet uses two tables. One for figuring your daily calorie quota in points, and another table that lists points for calories. In a pinch I divide the calories by 75 to see the calorie points for the food I'm eating. For example if I drink a cup of nonfat milk for 80 calories, that's one calorie point.

I still have the name of the website for ordering a booklet on it if anyone's interested. The concept of calorie points was developed by a dietician many years ago. Frankly, I think WW ran with the concept, needing to develop their own method so they wouldn't be plagarizing. I keep hearing that Weight Watchers developed yet another point formula to replace the one they have that they'll be unveiling for next year. I bet it still won't be as easy as figuring calorie points.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7

I would LOVE to know the website! Please share!!!
mom2jjl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #5  

Mom, I don't believe we can give website links here, but if you google C.L. Gerwick and Associates, Inc. you will find the website. They are registered dietiicans.

And as a nice bit of trivia, Clara L. Gerwick was a well known dietician who worked for the Kansas Department of Health in the 1950's. In 1968 she published the Kansas City Diet Manual featuring the points system which she found was very successful for her clients losing weight. It is such a shame she never got the credit for the points system that she deserved. Weight Watchers cleverly copied the system in the late 90's, tweaking it to make it theirs. But they could never copy the simplicity in using it that Ms. Gerwick created.

If you go to the "Publications" area on the home page, it will take you to an order form. The booklet is titled "Calorie Points for Weight Control", and I believe it still costs $7.50.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

I don't get how it's easier than counting calories? You have to look at the calorie count of the food you're eating and convert it to points. Isn't it easier to just look at the calories and leave it there?

Very interesting.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #7  
One day at a time!

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bac0s View Post
I don't get how it's easier than counting calories? You have to look at the calorie count of the food you're eating and convert it to points. Isn't it easier to just look at the calories and leave it there?

Very interesting.
You read my mind...I'm wondering why go the extra step when you can just add up your calories and stop there? Is there an additional benefit?
ebenz315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:48 PM   #8  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

for me it is what I finally did not like about WW was the constant need to convert everything. I can add in less time and there are so many free calorie counting tools, apps and websites, it is just that easy!

BUT I am always one to say you have to do what works best for you.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 330/297/165

I was thinking the same. Why bother converting? It seems like an extra unneeded step.
jilly6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:25 AM   #10  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

I can see why this tool might be a good tool for some whom find that "24" is a less daunting number then 1800 and could be used as a transition for someone trying to move from WW to CC.

However, personally I wouldn't find a tool like this useful right now due to my memory bank of calorie counts ect (Its like a magic trick when I get asked how many calories are in xyz by my naturally thin friends).
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #11  

I like this system because instead of counting to 1800 calories I count to 24. Instead of doing the math (calories/75), I just have a conversion chart I look at quickly. For example, a Thomas Bagel Thin is 110 calories. I quickly glance at the chart and see that 110 calories is 1.5 points. It's quicker than looking up calories in Calorie King (which I love by the way).

Everyone has to find a way that works for them. For me, this is it. I love it. And after doing WW Momentum points, this is far easier. However WW is totally revamping their system for a new year, so I am very curious about what they'll come up with.

I guess the bottom line is we have to reduce calories - the trick is finding something we can live with, and I have.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #12  

In a place I go online to get points calculated into calorie is this.

24-31 points would be 1350-1700 calories
26-33 points would be 1450-1800 calories

So, I would think that counting up to 33 points would be easy and you know you cal count for the day.

WW does have the slider and a book to look up all the foods, or just look on the label of the food you are eating.

I will look at your info on google to see what you are talking about.

cook
cookinmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #13  

Well, after trying every diet under the sun, and going back and forth in the process, I finally came back to what really worked for me.

I think the important thing is to reduce those calories no matter how we do it! I've done it all - fat gram counting, carb counting, etc., and nothing got the weight off me like a reduction in calories. It works!
Old 09-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #14  

I checked out the website but what I would like to know is what is the difference between this program and WW?
mom2jjl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joycelyn View Post
I like this system because instead of counting to 1800 calories I count to 24. Instead of doing the math (calories/75), I just have a conversion chart I look at quickly. For example, a Thomas Bagel Thin is 110 calories. I quickly glance at the chart and see that 110 calories is 1.5 points. It's quicker than looking up calories in Calorie King (which I love by the way).

Everyone has to find a way that works for them. For me, this is it. I love it. And after doing WW Momentum points, this is far easier. However WW is totally revamping their system for a new year, so I am very curious about what they'll come up with.

I guess the bottom line is we have to reduce calories - the trick is finding something we can live with, and I have.
I'm glad it works for you, and that's totally the important thing here.

I'm still confused though. How is it quicker than looking up calories when you still have look up the calories to convert them to points? I feel like I am missing something that's probably really obvious here.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote