Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #1  
Lorie

S/C/G: 280/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Question What did you do for exercise when you first started?

Hi everyone!

I am currently 6 months pregnant, and just trying to maintain my weight (my goal, set w/my OBGYN is to gain no more than 20lbs this pregnancy, so far I've gained 3lbs). So I cannot do anything very tough right now, but I'm looking to after the baby is here so I can work on getting fit.

Well, right now I am only walking (very slowly) on the treadmill. One mile in the AM and one mile in the PM. I don't feel comfortable doing much more than this because my tummy protrudes now and I can no longer see my feet, not to mention being unbalanced. My OB says walking is fine and good for me and baby, just as long as I don't become very winded or stop if it becomes painful.

My question is, what did you do to start off when you first started to lose weight, and even, what do you do now. I have heard good things about PX90, but I'm not sure if that is to advanced for me to start off with (after the baby is born and I the Dr approves of me restarting my weightloss journey of course). I do not live anywhere near a gym, the closest one is 40 miles away and it is small. I do have a treadmill in my home. Any suggestions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks soooo much everybody!!!!
glenlorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #2  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I've started doing this, http://www.shape.com/fitness/workout...utine/p/page/1
I don't have the kettle bells so I just use my regular hand weights. It doesn't take too long if you only do it once, as you get better, you could do 2 or 3 rounds.

There's lots of DVD's out there, and most fitness magazines have some new routine in them each month.

Last edited by shcirerf; 09-23-2010 at 02:23 PM.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I found this link:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_the-best...gnancy_7880.bc

I wouldn't start the P90X while pregnant for sure lol- I just started it this week and DANG it's hard! I think I felt like I was going to pop out a baby when doing the ab exercises lol. But it is an awesome program.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

I loved the Walk Away The Pounds series for when I was pregnant, because it was mostly just walking and I could modify the moves.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

I am such a big believer in walking! I decided in the beginning to commit to walking just 30 minutes a day outside. Eventually I kept upping it until I could walk for an hour. Only then did I work on speeding up to a fast waking pace. I swear it worked wonders for me!

Also, I did the Wii Fit and sometimes the elliptical machine in my basement. Try walking, and you are going to like it! It really helped trim my legs and tummy (combined with healthy eating).

Last edited by kellost; 09-23-2010 at 02:45 PM.
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

If you are still pregnant, walking and swimming is the best way to go. Meet up with friends and walk with them.

I did P90X about 4 weeks post partum. It is a very difficult program (it will expect you to do 100 pullups and 100 pushups - full - in an hour) but does have some modifications.

As someone fairly athletic though and who just had a baby, I'd have to say a big no to P90X within the first little while post-partum. It is split into body part workouts and are 60 minutes long each - too long for a new mom because you'll keep getting interrupted by baby or skip one from fatigue and then the program will become uneven/mixed up. Not to mention Ab Ripper X has 300 ab exercises in 15 minutes and it's very unwise for a new mom who has distorted abdominal muscles.

My recommendations...
To begin with- walking, swimming, fitness classes (do you have a city rec centre nearby?), mommy/baby stroller groups, simple body weight exercises

http://www.bodyrock.tv/
^^ All body weight exercises that can be done at home. If you are able to purchase any strength training equipment, Crossfit is a good quick workout.

Quick, simple, full body! I would say ditch the treadmill for now and go out on stroller walks - it's good for you to get out, good for the baby (they love the vibration and go to sleep), and provides resistance (weight of stroller). If you can get a good sling (Moby Wrap, Ergo), you can go on long walks with the baby strapped to you (newborns love this anyways, it reduces crying)

Whoah, that's a big post. Well, my son is 14 weeks so I just went through all this. Good luck!!!!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'2

While I was pregnant I stuck to walking. Of course if we had a pool available I would have thrown that in too. I would try out some prenatal yoga dvds or classes, it will give you the strength you need to give birth, plus the endurance.

After my 2nd was born, I'd pop him in the sling, and my older son in the stoller and take a nice long walk. I started at about 1 week post partum and it was very easy and I took it very slow. However, I also had an uncomplicated birth and most pain was gone by then.

I really recommend looking for prenatal abdominal exercises, they're out there. No crunches though! One I remember entails sitting on the floor with your leg straight out in front of you and use your buttcheeks to "walk" across the floor, VERY effective and no pressure on the vena cava.

Last edited by Kyla0709; 09-23-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Kyla0709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #8  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

After I had Logan, I found a jogging stroller on Craig's List for $25 (whoo hoo!). That has been great, b/c if I have to take him, I can toss him in that (though, I prefer jogging with out him).

I got PG in May of 2008. I started jogging in Jan. 2008 and tried to keep up with it through pregnancy, but didn't last very long. I see women at 5k's that must be 7 months (or MORE) along running way faster than me... I have no idea how they do it. It is my secret wish to be able to be that women next time around!

Walking/jogging is great b/c you can do it outside when it is nice out. You have a TM for when it isn't. You can take your little one in a stroller. Or you can put him in a bouncy seat while you do the TM.

Walking while PG is GREAT! I should have done more of that. I read that while you exercise, the baby also gets "exercise". Something about your heart rate going up and that makes the baby's heart rate go up. And they get exercise and come out healthier for it. IDK - I read WAY too much when I was PG.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Walk Away The Pounds (DVD series, you can find it online or at Wal Mart) did it for me. It is the first regular exercise I have ever been able to do and enjoy.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 306/240/140

Height: 5'5

I started out by walking. I bought a pedometer and started slowly, doing 4000 steps a day (which at the time took about 45 minutes) and worked my way up. Now I try to do a minimum of 10k steps a day. I aim for 1000 steps every 10 minutes, and it takes about a hour and a half.
Kaonashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

I started out doing about 5 minutes at a time on the exercise bike twice a day. I inched that up week after week until I was going for over an hour twice a day--that took months, but it really showed me that it doesn't matter where you start as long as you stick to it and keep increasing.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote