Old 09-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Red face Kind of shocked... *pics*

I really just need someone who can relate.

My mom has been worried about me because of my weight and because I'm still losing. I know she's just showing her concern but I don't want her to worry, so I took a quick picture in my bathroom to send to her to shower her I'm not too thin.

I e-mailed the picture to myself first and then went to forward to her and I looked at the picture and I was shocked...

That is NOT what I see when I look in the mirror everyday. I actually look... kind of thin? What? Maybe my brain isn't catching up properly or something, I don't know. Only 8 lbs to my goal and I feel like I still have a little more that I could lose, but for a while I was feeling like an anomaly.. like I'm the only person at my weight who still looks as big as i do. I've maintained at 145ish for the past 2 years and only recently seriously buckled down to get to goal. I guess I'm just so used to seeing myself at 145 that my mind hasn't caught up yet? I don't know why I can't look in the mirror and see what I should look like. Unless I am? Can ya'll even tell a difference in between the 3rd and last photo?

I don't know.. this is a weird feeling. Has anyone felt like this before? How did you handle it?

For reference, the first two are pictures of me at my highest weight (one is for my senior pictures, that's why I'm all fancy schmancy ), but they are pictures of pictures so they're a little blurry. The 3rd picture is me where I maintained at for a good 2 years, and the last picture is the one I took earlier today for my mom.

Last edited by FreeSpirit; 09-21-2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Put that there were pics in the title.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 283/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'9"

I can see a big difference b/t #3 and #4; in the last photo, you look like you're at a great weight! Very trim and healthy, but not *too* thin, not thin enough to worry. How do you FEEL? If you are eating healthily and exercising and feeling well and strong, maybe you are at a perfect weight now.

I think almost everyone who has ever been heavy has trouble seeing themselves/ourselves "correctly" or "clearly" after losing weight. Your self-perception doesn't catch up with reality. (Others have spoken about this much more eloquently.)
guynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I don't think you look too thin, I think you look great !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #4  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

you look great to me. just make sure you dont get underweight. i plugged your weight and height into an online bmi calculator and you about 20.7 now, which is great! I also plugged in your goal weight and its good too, its still in the "normal weight" range. As long as you don't reach the underweight range you will be fine. lose more weight if you want to, or don't.

If your only lose weight because your mind hasn't caught up maybe you should just try to maintain for a while and get use to your new body. if you get use to it and still want to drop a few pounds then go ahead.
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I think taking lots of pictures at any size is a great idea to help you adjust to your actual weight and feel comfortable with it. As long as you're healthy and happy with your weight, that's all that matters.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #6  
Motivated Chick!

S/C/G: 224/224/200

Height: 5'2"

I see a big difference between 3 and 4! You look awesome right now. I am not sure you need to loose more weight...
miriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #7  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

Height: 5'4"

It takes time for our mental impression of ourselves to catch up with our physical reality. I had the same problem, but opposite direction (when I gained weight very quickly, I would be surprised to see myself so big in pictures or in the mirror).

I, too, see a difference between your 3 & 4 pics. As pinkalarm says, it might be time to pause and get used to your new self before going further. Also, I don't know what your conversations with your mom have been. However, as a mom myself, I can say that if she's been left with the impression that you still want to lose a lot of pounds, you might want to clarify. You've lost nearly half your initial weight (great job!), so she might be under the impression that you're still in that mode.
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #8  

Thank you everyone for your comments! It's greatly appreciated.

Those of you who suggest maintaining for a while - I've been considering that, just to see if maybe my head will catch up. I think one of the main reasons why I'm still in losing mode is that when I see myself naked I am able to see all of the loose, wrinkly skin which kind of makes me seem larger than I am, I guess? When I pinch it though I can tell that it is mostly skin...
Old 09-22-2010, 02:13 AM   #9  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

I agree, I can also see a big difference between 3 and 4. In 3 you looked really good, in 4 you look perfect- imho. Honestly, I can see how your Mum may be worried because another 8lbs might leave you looking frail.....however, you know your body best and we all have lumps and bumps we obsess over and you see yourself daily naked so you know best. One of the things Mammas to best is worry. :P
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:25 AM   #10  
One Day At A Time

Height: 5.6

heya, there is a bit difference and you are thin in the last pic, it depends whether you feel like it is a good thin or a bad thin. I personally prefer to stay more curvy and have a higher weight that i feel comfortable with. Ask yourself why are you still losing? Why do you have this goal? Because in the past I have taken great pleasure in losing weight and it was all control issues, it had nothing to do with my actual weight. Also my brain is even slower than my body, I cannot mentally get used to the new stuff. I know I need more time. I still think I am fatter than I am, with the shopping as well. I get surprised by the way clothes fit me these days.
hope for recovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 266.2/See ticker/133.0

Height: 5'5

Oh, mahgawd you look amazing.
DaughterOfVenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Seriously... your last pic is what I hope to look like when I'm done losing and begin maintenance. You look great! I think that maybe she just got used to you looking like you did in the 2nd to last pic and the loss has her a bit concerned. I sometimes have to remember that some people's thinking is skewed nowadays... as in most people (in general) are overweight. So the average person sees someone as thin as you are now and mistakenly identifies you as too thin. You're doing great and as someone else mentioned, if you're eating healthy and you feel healthy, by all means finish your journey. =)
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #13  

Thank you so much you guys! I've really debated about it and I do think I will finish towards my goal. I don't want to be too thin, however I want to try and get there and then evaluate again but I don't think that I'll feel too thin at that weight.

I really appreciate the compliments! It's so hard trying to adjust my view. I think one of the biggest factors is that I don't really see myself next to other people to "compare." It's so weird to hold up my pants, or a shirt and think that it's not going to fit, only for it to slide right on.

I guess, as with most things, it just takes time.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #14  
Love on a Diet

S/C/G: HW:155 SW:147/141/107

Height: 5'2"

From what I can tell from your face pictures, you are and always have been a beautiful girl...and I bet you're a real hottie now! There is a HUGE difference between #3 and #4 - and let me tell you, I'd kill for your body right now 0_o.

The way we perceive ourselves can be very distorted. Years of negative thinking/feelings/shame about our own bodies will not reverse overnight, and they do not magically reverse even if you suddenly hit that goal weight! You can lose another 8 lbs if you want, but really, you look absolutely fantastic. You just need to get that through your own head, and congratulate yourself on all the hard work you've done.
MiniMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #15  
BAMF

S/C/G: 253/251/150

Height: 5'5

it sounds a lot like your mind set.. maybe it couldn't hurt to talk to a counselor, it could really help a lot with not going too overboard if you feel like you're flirting with that line. Sometimes we all just need a little reality check!

p.s- you look GREAT!
shamrockin32 is offline   Reply With Quote