General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Default gas issues/help (tmi?)

Does anyone have any ideas for preventing gas? I know some people say it's food, but I'm not sure what in my diet might be causing it. I eat mostly the same foods throughout the weeks and have tried eliminating ones I think might cause it. I'm not sure if it's my weight, because when I got down to 160-170lb it was still a problem.

umm.. jokes aside, any ideas? do I have to take beano everyday?
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I recently heard that carbs can make you gassy if you have insulin resistance.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #3  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Interesting, because I am having the same problem. I have so much gas, and I think it is because I am not used to eating so much fiber.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #4  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I was having extremely bad gas a year or so ago and found out it was from sucking on hard candies during the day . I cut those babies out and now I just uhh fart like a normal person
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo381972 View Post
Interesting, because I am having the same problem. I have so much gas, and I think it is because I am not used to eating so much fiber.
Speaking of fiber, those fiber one bars are TERRIBLE- I bought one box and that was the last box- they made me so gassy it was embarassing!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #6  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

I tried low carb for 5 weeks in May. My doctor advised me to discontinue for medical reasons. I was worried, because although I had begun to feel exhausted and generally crappy, the one good thing had been a Total Absence of gas. It was wonderful! I mean really life-changingly liberating!

However, although I've reintroduced most things into my diet, I've not brought wheat back in - and I'm still virtually gas-free. Can't swear it's the wheat but I'm not risking it!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
Speaking of fiber, those fiber one bars are TERRIBLE- I bought one box and that was the last box- they made me so gassy it was embarassing!
OMG, I LOVE those things!

I never have more than one a day, though. I think I'm immune to their effects at this point.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #8  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

do you chew any sugar free gum? Use Sugar free products (like syrups, puddings, jellos?) the sugar alcohols can make people extremely gassy and bloated (happend to me-- took me about 8 months of discomfort and embarrassment before i figured it out) Some studies also suggest that splenda/aspartame can cause the same issues for some people.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #9  
Soul Cyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bac0s View Post
OMG, I LOVE those things!

I never have more than one a day, though. I think I'm immune to their effects at this point.
Don't get me wrong- they taste good- but something in them makes me so gassy And I usually get around 25-30 grams of fiber a day!
Old 09-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 282/265/165

Height: 5'8"

Oh Yes!!! Sugar-free gum will do it for sure. I had a habit of chewing gum at work right before meetings. Well you can guess what happened at every meeting - I had to hold onto my chair to keep from floating away. I discovered the cause when I had to get a crown on a tooth and couldn't chew gum for a few days. I limit the gum and candy sweetened with aspertame.

Good luck.
Queen Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #11  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Couple suggestions...

- when troubleshooting my diet I reduce the variety and troubleshoot one item at a time (ex: pineapple and watermelon give me gas and an upset tummy, no other fruit!)
- eat slowly, chew throughly and drink water in between to ensure you arent inhaling a bunch of air
- insoluble fiber can be a culprit, as can any refined food (even if its pretty healthy)

if you do get gas, a couple helps:
- lay on your left side, it helps with digestion (laying on your right helps your heart beat easier)
- massage your tummy in a counterclockwise motion
- focus your core, engage and then release outward tummy muscles (its hard to do if you arent in tune with your core, but mental image it and it will happen)

good luck!
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:05 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 180/175/130

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
I tried low carb for 5 weeks in May. My doctor advised me to discontinue for medical reasons. I was worried, because although I had begun to feel exhausted and generally crappy, the one good thing had been a Total Absence of gas. It was wonderful! I mean really life-changingly liberating!

However, although I've reintroduced most things into my diet, I've not brought wheat back in - and I'm still virtually gas-free. Can't swear it's the wheat but I'm not risking it!

BINGO

I am off all grains and beans and I am going to convert to meat and some dairy...sounds odd, but I will report back what happens...This will be low carb too...
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #13  
this space for rent

S/C/G: 274/274/140

Height: 5'8"

beans, fruits, and veggies cause gas. a lot of people notice becoming more gassy after starting a veggie rich diet. it is in part due to how our bodies are breaking down the fiberous tissue of plants. Beano and other like products can be taken before eating to help deal with the gas. the upside is that veggie farts wont strip the paint off a foot locker like a meat & fried food fart will
eroica27 is offline   Reply With Quote