South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 09-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #1  
Feeling like a Fool at 52

S/C/G: 173/ticker/133

Height: 5'1"

Question Planning Ahead

Hi everyone,

I'm 50 years old, (still) 5'1" and so far in my lifetime I think I've lost and found several hundred pounds. I started back on SB on 9/7/10 and my goal is pretty much to just stick with it and lose as much as I can before my husband and I go on our trip of a lifetime to the Galapagos Islands in January! Being of a certain age, I'm more (ok, maybe "as" would be more accurate!) concerned with my health than appearance, altho looking good is pretty nice too.

My long term goal is to conquer whatever the issue is that causes me to gain back the weight I lose. Two years ago I lost about 30 pounds, then on Halloween of 2009 I started packing it back on. I felt helpless to stop myself. It's just bizarre. Before that I had lost 40 lbs and I remember the very moments when I started to gain all of that weight back. I don't understand myself in this regard at all. I can lose it but I never seem to get comfortable with maintaining my weight. My goal weight never seems low enough, so I guess I always feel like a failure no matter what.

I quit smoking and have never looked back. Why can't I lose the weight and do the same?

Thanks for listening!!!
Purpleegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Welcome Purpleegg! I started on SB January of '08 when I was 51. Lost about 25# and have maintained it for over 2 years. I've never been able to maintain my weight with any other food plan and I love SB for not having to count calories or points. My husband loves the recipes I've used from this forum. I really had to decide that this is a lifestyle change and that I won't go back to eating white flour and sugar. Every day is a challenge, but it is so worth it! I am much healthier than I was a few years ago. My cholesterol is lower, heartburn gone, less joint pain.

Congratulations on quitting smoking! You can do this!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #3  
Thin Girl in Training

S/C/G: 285.5/269.4/180

Height: 5'5"

I can see the difference between issues with weight and smoking. With an addiction like smoking, the solution is just never having cigarettes again, whereas with weight issues, you still have to have food, you can't swear off of it! You have to change your relationship with it. That's a whole lot tougher for sure!

It sounds like some of the folks who inspire us all with being at their goal weight and maintaining, have some great tips for success.
chubbybunny29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: maintaining

Nice to meet you purpleegg. I can very much identify with you. I am a yo-yo dieter. I have asked myself several times why I do that. And still can't decide if it is bad habits or something deeper. Sigh. I know I feel better, physically and emotionally, when I eat on plan with SB, so why don't I stick with it? I think maintaining has been harder for me, most times, than losing.

One difference with quitting smoking - you still need to eat every day.

I want to go to the Galapagos!!!
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Wow, what an awesome trip to look forward to! I just want to second everything Anne said. I'm 49 and lost 93 lbs with SBD and have maintained it for 27 months and counting. I've lost a lot of weight in my life and never maintained more than 6 months. SBD really helps with the cravings and for me that means less binge eating. 3FC and this forum make a huge difference too. Knowing I have a support system that is always here when I need it, where people cheer, and suggest and when needed has helped me stay on track this time. It's not easy as we get older but the differences are really noticeable and so worth it.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #6  
Feeling like a Fool at 52

S/C/G: 173/ticker/133

Height: 5'1"

Thumbs up Thanks Chicks!

I have experienced the joys of weightloss and remember them well! So many positives altho sometimes the attention made me uncomfortable for sure, especially stuff like "boy, your husband must be chasing you around like crazy" and stuff along those lines.

Please tell me what you are all telling yourselves during your weightloss journeys...what kind of "self talk" do you try to practice? And if you are maintaining, what is the key to making that less painful (well, now we know I have to change my attitude about that!).

As for the Galapagos...OMG, I'm jealous of myself, I'm so excited! I have to lose 2.8 lbs a week to lose 30 lbs by December 30, which is when we're leaving!
Purpleegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I never want to go back. I felt 10 years older, everything ached. It doesn't feel hard most days. When I look at other people, see what they eat I know that hard is an illusion and the lifestyle that includes lots of fried foods, sugar and processed carbs was much harder than I realized. For me my body aches less, has more stamina and strength, looks better and frankly, my moods are easier for everyone. When I have an off plan day or two I remember what I would be going back to and that other food no longer seems so appealing. I'm not saying it's not hard sometimes, just that I remember how hard it was being obese.

Don't focus on 2.8 lbs/week, focus on creating the best, healthiest eating habits you can, getting as fit as you can, and finding your rhythm with this way of life. Then be proud of what you accomplished and how much better you will feel. And share your pictures
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote