Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-18-2010, 05:33 PM   #1  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

Default Has Anyone Ever Quit Smoking WITHOUT gaining weight?

I suppose I am rather inadvertently quitting smoking. I've been thinking about doing and wanting to for some time, but always thought that I would maybe drop a few pounds below my fantasy weight to compensate for any gains or indulgences. It was something I wanted to schedule lol.

I ran out of cigarettes last night though and just haven't gotten anymore, Idk why. Yes, I am craving them very badly, but it's manageable and I figure, if I've gotten through about 14 hours, might as well see how long I can go?

So....is it inevitable that I will gain? I've heard people say that you'll only gain if you start overeating because you aren't smoking, but I've also heard that there are some chemical (?) reasons? Please, any advice is welcome...advice on how to get through this, your stories, your tips or tricks...and definitely how you avoid gain when you quit smoking or how you dealt with it if you did gain...

Thanks
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

When I started loosing weight, I decided that i'd quit smoking as well.. so far it's been pretty good. I'm not sure if i'm the right person to advise anyone on making the transition easier.. I've fallen off the wagon once or twice, it's very difficult.

But some things that help me out are chewing gum, it helps with giving my mouth something to do. And I find that removing myself from people that are smoking helps too.. if I don't, I usually end up bumming a cigarette.

best of luck though!
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I quit and didn't gain. I have a link in my siggy that leads to a response someone else here asked me about how I quit smoking while losing weight if you want to check it out.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 234/187/145

Height: 5.6

I Quit about 2 month ago and i didnt gain any additional weight so far .
I been a smoker for 8 years(a pack lasted me 2 days) and i don't crave them anymore i don't think about it .The first two weeks were really hard i would get frustrated (usually when frustrated i would smoke a cig to calm down ),but instead i just cried lol.
I always been scared to quit because i always though it would be impossible to sustain it and that i would fail.

I replaced cigarets with working out 5 time a week .

Well after quiting smoking losing weight is my next goal

Good luck and just take it as a day to day challenge at first .
Bree 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I quit smoking (pack/day), drinking alcohol (3-many/day) and changed my "diet" all within a week of each other...and lost 193 pounds. Can be done. Smoking will kill ya faster than just about anything...so it's a good idea to quit.

This is probably terrible to say, but a couple weeks ago we were in the city and went to a health food store to pick up a few items, there is a 24 hour fitness center in the same strip mall. A couple girls came out of the gym with their cigarettes in hand and lit up the minute they walked out the door. My mother-in-law and I both agreed that it was such a pity that they just did all that work "to be healthy" and then they continue to destroy their lungs. It's kind of like wearing your seat belt but continuing to drive 120 miles per hour while texting.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 09-18-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

well.. I read nicotine does cause your body to lower it's set point. here and here, there's some more info if you google. I have to admit I did lose weight more easily chewing nicotine gum, but it's not realistic for the longterm to keep the weight off.

but it's still basically calories in, calories out...so if you are watching the calories and exercising you should be ok!

Last edited by ringmaster; 09-18-2010 at 08:57 PM.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #7  
One day at a time....

S/C/G: 288/234/199

Height: 5'5''

it's like double the temptation, no food, no smokes. I am doing ok its been about 3 days. I just take it one second at a time. I will see if I lost this week. no advice, just wanted to say you arent alone!
srr728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:52 PM   #8  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

AAGGGH! Cigarrettes! I have a love/hate relationship!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #9  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

First of all good for you for trying to quit....took me almost 30 years but did 12+ years ago....

If you replace the bad habit with good ones such as .....

Gum ~ A nice walk ~ hugging that kid ~ walking a 5K ~ eating an apple ~ listening to Neil Diamond ~ reading a Psalm ~ going to the store to buy a small bag of groceries for a needy family ~ taking your dog or a neighbors for a walk ~ calling an old friend (not texting! ) to say hello ~ taking in a high school football game ....

well then I can guarantee you that you won't gain any weight
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

I started jogging while I was a smoker (3 - 4 cigarettes a day). I could jog okay, with only minimal breathing problems. However, every little injury would set me back for weeks. A knee problem would never heal, for example. Or, inner ankle pain would persist until I took a long break.

I read an interesting article about how the body's healing process is majorly stunted from smoking (e.g. why it is a terrible idea to smoke while one has a cold). After really giving them up for 3 months, I noticed I was jogging SO much better and little problems would heal instead of persist and keep me from jogging.

I didn't gain any weight. The things in life that I have gained weight from were: 1. a broken collarbone and the inability to exercise. 2. a new boyfriend and his influence on my eating habits.

You will eventually quit, and the smell of people who have just come inside from smoking outside will reek of staleness and make you a bit queasy. I did recently have a very stressful day and I had a cigarette. But, it didn't help anymore. It was a bit sad - they used to make me feel better. Now, I didn't even have that comfort anymore! Good Luck - just do your best.
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThicknPretty View Post
So....is it inevitable that I will gain? I've heard people say that you'll only gain if you start overeating because you aren't smoking, but I've also heard that there are some chemical (?) reasons? Please, any advice is welcome...advice on how to get through this, your stories, your tips or tricks...and definitely how you avoid gain when you quit smoking or how you dealt with it if you did gain...

Thanks
I smoked two packs a day for fifteen years and when I finally quit, I didn't gain any weight.

What helped me was upping my exercise (short, brisk walks swinging my arms and breathing deeply as many times as I could during the times I was awake, lots of water, and sucking/munching/nibbling on cinnamon sticks. (Sometimes I'd hold them between my fingers just like a ciggie! Ha!).

Quiting smoking is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I figure I've saved over twenty thousand dollars by not buy cigs since 1986. My skin and hair are fantastic. I hardly ever get sick anymore.

You think you feel good after losing the weight? Wait until you go six months without smoking. You will want to run for president...
Hiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #12  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

So many awesome reasons to quit!

Bonnnie brought up some excellent points. One with healing. My parents couldn't heal. They both died at the age of 50, (yes, 50 years old) from smoking related diseases. My dad died from chronic emphysema in 1986 and my mother died from small cell carcinoma lung cancer in 1992. Thankfully they were 6 years apart in age. I also have a friend who is a heavy smoker who just had a very serious car accident. (She had her seat belt on, but was driving while texting) and it almost killed her. It has taken her MONTH to be able to walk...as she sits in her recliner and chain smokes.

Oh...and when you are sitting at the doctors office for a check up and a smoker comes in and sits down by you...omg HOW THAT STINKS! It really does make you want to gag. I can't believe my husband ever kissed me when I smoked. Poor guy. He put up with so much from me.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #13  

Height: 5'8"

Good for you!!!

I just quit smoking 6 weeks ago. My body was really telling me it was time to stop and go down a different path. Since then, I started going to the gym, going on endurance bike rides and mild strength training.

Six weeks later I feel like superwoman, but I've only lost ONE DAMN POUND in over a month. However, I feel so much better without those nasty cigarettes that it really doesn't matter - I know once my body adjusts to life without smoking I'll be back on track.

Good luck getting through the next 72 hours. They aren't going to be fun, but it's so worth it! Once three days have gone by, you're pretty much a free bird!
missgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #14  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

I didn't gain at all when I quit in January. I did experience a stall in my weight loss for about 3-4 weeks but it was well worth it! I think quitting does slow your metabolism slightly and smoking is an appetite suppressant. I think the combination of increased appetite, habit and slower metabolism cause people to gain. If you are already restricting your calories, you will do just fine but don't be alarmed if you see a little stall until your body adjusts. Good luck! I know you can do it
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:27 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'2

I quit too, about 7 weeks ago now. Ever since the weight has been falling off! I've also come to terms that I can't replace smoking with food though, so that's worked in my favor. I think it finally clicked that I just had to stop was when I saw my 3 year old pick up a sucker stick and pretend it was a cigarette! We never smoke in the house, but he must've seen us occasionally. I also wanted to start getting serious about my exercise and running is just so hard, being a smoker. I read this arcticle that inspired me too, all about how smoking actually causes you to collect more fat around your middle. So far, for me, it's true. My very stubborn love handles are finally starting to shrink!

If you're worried about your metabolism slowing down, drink some green tea everytime you feel like smoking. It's an appetite suppressant AND it's proven to speed metabolism.

Last edited by Kyla0709; 09-19-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Kyla0709 is offline   Reply With Quote