South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #1  
chubby punk

S/C/G: tick..tick...boom

Height: 5'5"

Default gluten flour in phase one

does anyone know if gluten flour would be acceptable to eat in phase one. its also known as vital wheat gluten. according to wikipedia its made by washing down wheat until all the starch is gone and its just the elastic protein remaining. its the main ingredient in seitan which is ok in phase one according to the food list.

there is an amazing chickpea cutlet recipe in the cookbook Veganomicon, and its amazing and all acceptable ingredients. i am pretty sure gluten flour will be ok since all the starches are gone - but i wanted to check in case someone knows otherwise?
LaurenBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #2  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

I would think that gluten would be fine, since seitan is considered OK. Wow - it's 23 g protein and 6 g carbohydrate per 1/4 cup!

I looked up the recipe you were going to make from Veganomicon (I just read a very raunchy blog entry about them). Unfortunately, it includes bread crumbs, which aren't OK until Phase 2 (100% whole wheat, or other whole grain), and I wonder how they would hold up if you left that out... Wow, they sound good, though, and interesting that they are kneaded to develop the gluten...
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Maybe add chopped almonds to give a crumb-like texture?
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #4  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

i've always been able to substitute almonds (that i've put through the food processor - be careful not to make nut butter!) in place of bread crumbs to make recipes phase 1 friendly. it gives them a rather nutty taste as well. yum!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #5  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Of course - almond meal is a great idea for a substitution! If I had gluten flour, I would try making Phase 1 chickpea cutlets immediately.

By the way, here is a non-raunchy version of the recipe.

I hope the OP or someone else tries this with the Phase 1 substitution and posts about it ...
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:57 AM   #6  
chubby punk

I will try it with the almond meal and let you all know. Ive made this a few times (obviously while not on SB) and its so good. My favourite tasting vegan faux schnitzel is Frys brand, and although this isnt as crunchy it tastes every bit as good.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:15 AM   #7  
chubby punk

just an update, i made the cutlets for dinner tonight with almond meal instead of breadcrumbs and they were absolutely delicious! there was no noticeable difference in the taste although i did notice the texture of the dough wasnt as firm as usual but they still cooked up just fine. thanks so much for the suggestion, i would never have considered it otherwise! paired two cutlets with steamed broc, cauli, green beans and zucchini and added a little smear of dijon for some kick. have leftovers tomorrow for after my dance class, cos i never feel like cooking when i get home. yay!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Please post the recipe in the Recipe Section. Some of us would love to try it.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote