PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/145

Height: 5' 5.5"

Default New PCOSer with ??'s

Hello ladies! I have been around these boards (20 somethings) for a while now. However, I noticed this pcos thread and thought I should come on over here!

I was dx'd with pcos about 2 years ago. My OB put me on Metformin and Yaz. However, I could not deal with the gastro effects of the Met. I took the Yaz for about a year and never noticed a difference.

My main symptoms are weight gain (ALL in my abdomen) acne, and moodiness. I went from 120ish to 160ish at the age of 20 in about 6 months time, and then after children gained up to a high of 220ish. At the same time (age 20) I developed horrible cystic acne, which I have to this day. It has ruined my skin, I have scars and constant cysts. No treatment that I have found helps the acne. The best results for me came from a combo of tanning/chemical peels. But, I can hardly afford the $100/week for peels and dermabrasion and the $40/mo for tanning. So I just gave up.

What kind of results did you all get from the Met? I am afraid to take it cause it seriously (severly) interfered with my work- I spent way too much time in the bathroom. I tried taking it at night, all at once, etc., and nothing controlled it. And have any of you found anything that helps with the acne? Also, what kind of diets are you following that you see results? Any books you recommend? I have the hardest time losing weight! I have to work out religiously every day just to see a little drop, and the only time that worked was when I mainly relied on a liquid protein diet. I obviously could not keep up with that routine! I would love to hear some of your success stories on what you did to lose weight and get rid of the acne!
jaimie1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

I have tried both the patch & ring for birthcontrol that has instantly cleared up my skin. Maybe you should ask your doctor to put you on a different kind of birthcontrol. Also I noticed that most of my cyctic acne were around my jawline where I was plucking excess facial hair. Once I got the hair follicles zapped with laser, I have had almost no breakouts. I would probably get 1 pimple in a year.

I have never been on metformin. Most of the doctors I go to about my pcos are hesistant to prescribe metformin because I am relatively small compared to most PCOS'ers.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #3  
chubby punk

S/C/G: tick..tick...boom

Height: 5'5"

Hi! I am fairly new to this too, having been diagnosed only a year ago and having only taken naturopathic supplements until now. On Monday I am starting a vegetarian version of South Beach, which from what I have gleaned from these boards and other PCOS sites is a good way to go since the focus a low, healthy carbs works well with the glucose resistant issues. I also have a doctors appointment on Tuesday to look at Metaformin. The website says only 30% of people experience stomach problems when they take it but from these boards it seems more like everyone has problems. It makes me a bit nervous, but I have to try something.
LaurenBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/145

Height: 5' 5.5"

@Nina- I, too, have major jawline issues. I don't pluck hair, but that is where all my cysts are, and sometimes they are really bad, swollen and painful. I have never done the patch or the ring. I have my tubes tied, so I actually never thought of that. The doc always wants to put me on bcp's. Good to know! Lucky that you are so small! I remember being small, a long long time ago! Thanks for the tips!

@Lauren- I agree, I think that almost everyone has issues with Met. I have 3 friends who have/do take it, and they all had problems but they got over them after a month or so. I worked in an office aka cubicle farm, so my gas was not going to work. It was horrid and I sat very near many people. That and the bathroom trips were interfering with my productivity. I agree that low carb is the way to go, and I am thinking of getting a pcos book for advice. I don't know that I could handle the vegeterian version! I like my meat, lol.

Thanks to you both for the welcomes and advice!
jaimie1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

What kind of results did you all get from the Met?

I did badly on plain Glucophage. I did better in Extended Release. Also, stair step it up. I had to take 2000, so one week was 500 with meal. Then 1000. Then 1500. Then 2000 to ease into it. Jumping right to 2000 was a recipe for a dire rear.

Also tried Glumetza because that is digested in a different area. So talk to doc about your options.

And have any of you found anything that helps with the acne?

Eating healthier and being on BCP. Also, a good cleansing routine. I like Burt's Bees Orange face cleanser or Yes to Tomatoes.

Also, what kind of diets are you following that you see results?

For what? For PCOS symptoms? Lowering cholesterol?

I go with Low GI / whole foods / even out to the vegetarian/vegan end.

For weight loss? It seemed to be more about exercise for me. When I exercise, I lose. When I don't, I don't. The actual diet didn't matter as much -- just healthy and lower calories. I've lost on both a non-vegetarian and a vegetarian routine.

Any books you recommend? I have the hardest time losing weight!

Lately I suggest Helen Foster's Low GI on -- slim, lots of pix, gets right to the menu plan.

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Gi-Diet-G...ref=pd_sim_b_2

Or if you like the diabetic exchanges, there's some free chart links in red in the middle of the page here on the left side. Scroll down.

http://diabeticgourmet.com/Food_and_...Meal_Planning/

I have to work out religiously every day just to see a little drop.

Yup. I'm the same. It is what it is. I even know what it takes -- 45 min, at least 4x per week, and my thyroid meds have to be right.

Just do what you gotta do to be active. Try your best, ok?

GL!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote