Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 09-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 6

Default Is it too early to start?

I delivered my daughter 5 weeks ago and have been itching to jump back into weight watchers for two weeks now. I did weight watchers before I got pregnant and lost 67 pounds. I am exclusively breastfeeding and feel like my diet isn't as healthy as it should be. I am about 14 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight. Most of the people I have talked to waited several months after delivering their children to try to lose weight. Do you think it's too early for me to start trying to lose weight? Is there a recommended time when you should start dieting after having a baby?

Last edited by MandiK; 09-16-2010 at 06:53 PM.
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/211/150

Height: 5'3"

Wait a couple of months until your milk supply is established. I've personally been having some supply problems and my baby is 11 months old. I've never had them before with my first two, but since I've been "seriously" starting to calorie count and eat healthy the last couple of months, if I eat too few calories I can tell my breasts are saggy/dry and not full (I'm talking like 1500 calories here! I HAVE to eat at least ~1900 calories + lotsa water to maintain adequate supply). If this had happened when the baby was much smaller it would have been a serious problem.

So I'd suggest be easy on yourself. (One book I read called "The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy" by Vicki Iovine-one of my favoritest books, suggested the 9 months on, 9 months off plan. IOW give yourself at least 9 months to relax and enjoy the amazing thing your body just accomplished, and don't worry about your weight except on a slow and gradual process).

And make sure you're getting HEALTHY nutritious calories. Your body just went through a lot, give it the right "tools" to get strong again

Last edited by boots; 09-18-2010 at 03:55 PM.
boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:28 PM   #3  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

I personally started trying to lose weight right after my second was born, after I got the okay from my midwife at 6 weeks post partum. But I made sure to keep my calories up around 1500. It's never affected my milk supply (and I'm still nursing both of mine and pg with my third!). I just made sure to eat good foods that packed a lot of nutritional power for their caloric punch. I know that WW plans do afford nursing women more daily points than non-nursing women (at least they did when I tried it).
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:08 AM   #4  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I don't think there's any harm in incorporating more healthy whole food choices into your diet without dropping your calories.

I should have started WAY earlier than I did with my kids. After I had my youngest I left the hospital at 235 and a year later I weighed 257. Yeahhhh not great. Breastfeeding made me RAVENOUS and I made awful choices.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 6

Val, I know what you mean about breastfeeding making you ravenous. That's my problem exactly! I have actually started to gain weight while on maternity leave. I got the okay at my 6 week appointment to start dieting, so I started weight watchers this Monday. So far so good...
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote