Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/134/115

Height: 5'5

Default High Protein Diet Contribute to Kidney Stones?

Hi there! I was wondering if anyone here know anything about a correlation between a high protein diet and kidney stones?

Okay, so I had gotten a kidney stone about 7 years ago during my senior year in college. This was right after I had lost 15lbs from diet and exercise. I figured the weight loss had to do with developing this kidney stone, I don't quite remember what my diet of choice was back then, but earlier today I experienced the same pain I did back then. Over the past week I started a high protein diet, and after a little internet research, found that this type of diet can increase your chances of developing kidney stones. I am worried that I have another stone again.

I will have to see how I feel as the day progresses before I go the hospital or doctor, but I am wondering if anyone has had any knowledge or experience with this. I do love how this new diet gives me a lot more energy, so I would hate to stop it right now.
Lissare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #2  

High protein diets are hard on your kidneys. So are cola-type drinks, carbonated beverages (even the sparkling waters). Usually its more diet related than exercise. My husband had End-Stage Renal Failure and I learned a lot about kidneys. I had one kidney stone. After testing the stone, it was determined it was caused by carbonated beverages. Haven't had one since 1984 because I'm not going through that again! Plain water and plenty of it is your best defense.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #3  

Thanks Sucks that I have to be careful about my protein. Hopefully I don't have another one, and looks likes its back to just calorie counting. I have limited my intake of caffeine over the years because of my last kidney stone, and have pretty much cut out all carbonated beverages over the last few months, 99% of what I drink is water. Glad to hear I have been doing that right at least. Thanks again

Last edited by Lissare; 09-16-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:33 AM   #4  

I tried a high protien diet years ago and ended up with a kidney infection, so as the other poster stated they are hard on your kidneys. Some people do fine with them but I am a firm believer that not every diet is for every person.
hlaoroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #5  
I CAN DO IT

S/C/G: 300/ see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

I have had 2 kidney stones my first was when I was 19 and it was the size of a golf ball it left my kidney and got stuck in the urniary track talk about pain it was worse then labor with my 3 kids I had to have surgery to remove it I cut soda out except when I would go out to eat then I had one this year it was the size of a grain of rice doctor said its probably from my hypothyriodism and me being more prone to them since I had one before thankfully it passed by itself. You can still get them even if you dont drink soda because you are more prone to them also I read drinking non filitered water can cause stones also doctor told me to drink filtered water at the least 80oz a day which I wam doing now and sometimes more because Im trying to lose all this weight.
Ky30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #6  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Once you have kidney stones, you are 50% more likely to get them again in the next 5 years (or so my dr told me when I had my first ones).

The same doctor issued an amusing quote: "some people say kidney stones hurt more than childbirth, dont try to be a soldier, take vicodin liberally."

There are many different types of stones, and if yours werent lab tested it is hard to know what might have caused them. As everyone noted, make sure to drink a TON of water.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #7  

Thanks all! I did end up in the er last week, the pain was too much. And yes, I have my vicodin, its always been my savior I just hate it cause I couldn't pass the last one, and it doesn't look like I can pass this one on my own either. My last one was tested as calcium oxalate. Even though I drink about 5-6 bottles of water a day, I upped my water intake, but since my last stone was jagged it got stuck. This one might be like that too. Thanks again all!

Last edited by Lissare; 10-10-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:28 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 208/143/150

Height: 5'6"

FYI-There are different kinds of kidney stones. The uric acid type stones could certainly be related to excessive protein in the diet, because uric acid is a by-product of protein synthesis. Dr Atkins said at top of page 131 in his 1972 Diet Revolution book, that although it's rare, if patients he saw in his clinic had a history of elevated uric acid or if it became elevated after going on his diet, he prescribed medication prevent uric acid formation.
joyful retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #9  

I have a friend who has problems with kidney stones and her Dr has restricted her from caffiene.
hlaoroo is offline   Reply With Quote