Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #1  

Default Getting stuck

So I'm curious: what do you guys do when you get stuck at a weight? I've been doing well with keeping up my diet and my exercise. I'm now walking one mile at least every day. I've been stuck at 224 for a while now and it's really annoying. I know that I'm doing more than just losing weight. I'm getting in shape and getting more healthy, but it is a pain to stay at the same place for a while. So I'd love any advice. Oh and I do have thyroids so I dunno if that has anything to do with it??

Last edited by LittlePinky82; 09-15-2010 at 01:20 PM.
LittlePinky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I only have a very prosaic answer and that is, like my avatar says, to keep on plodding at it. If you know that you're eating the right number of calories to lose weight, and you're keeping up the exercise, then there's no way weightloss won't happen.

Sometimes the body just panics a bit when we're losing well, and hangs onto water for a while to try and protect itself from losing too much. Sorry it's not more exciting but keeping on going is the sure way to break through.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
I only have a very prosaic answer and that is, like my avatar says, to keep on plodding at it. If you know that you're eating the right number of calories to lose weight, and you're keeping up the exercise, then there's no way weightloss won't happen.

Sometimes the body just panics a bit when we're losing well, and hangs onto water for a while to try and protect itself from losing too much. Sorry it's not more exciting but keeping on going is the sure way to break through.
It just gets annoying. Sometimes I'll lose at a steady pace and other times I won't budge at all. The good thing is I'm not gaining, but I'm also not losing. This happens various times throughout a year. I can tell with clothes that I'm losing inches which is good and I'm getting in better shape.
LittlePinky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 224 211 180

Height: 6ft

I found that going a day or two carb free helped me. I would never go carb free all the time, but a day or two can't hurt! (I think)

~Amanda
AmandaMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #5  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

if inches are coming off and you can tell your getting healthier, sounds like your loosing pounds of fat and building pounds of muscle.
I think that's why I 'stuck' at different places when I knew i had enough water, enough healthy calories, enough exercise etc . . . . was getting smaller just not dropping numbers. If you feel like your making progress, don't worry if they scale stays the same.
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

no suggestions littlepinky, just wanted you to know you aren't alone with getting stuck. it doesn't always make sense when the numbers should be equaling weight loss. don't give up, remember not gaining is something to be thankful for!
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #7  
pleasantly plump from '82

S/C/G: 208/ticker/155

Height: 5'9

I've been pushing along for about 9 months and my weight jumps up down and around all the time. So, when my weight has stayed the same I thank my lucky stars that it hasn't gone up. Ofcourse when it does go up I put myself on the raw foods only diet for 48 hours. Works everytime. Good Luck!
sal27253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #8  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

Three things that helped me every time I got stuck:

1. limit all forms of sugar (I would drop all dairy & starches, and only eat 1 piece of fruit) for a couple of days only.

2. mix up your caloric intake on a daily basis so your average comes out the same - in other words, alternate high & low calorie days

3. ditch the artificial sweetner & anything with it (I don't know why, but it does have an adverse affect on my weight loss)

Good luck to you! Don't get discouraged. Have you been taking your measurements? I also found that most of the time when my weight loss stalled, my measurements were decreasing, which helped me to stay motivated!
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #9  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

Hi Littlepinky,
I'm not sure what your diet plan is but perhaps there is a food that is causing a stall. Even exercising can cause a stall. Try changing your diet just a bit, maybe upping your calories a tiny bit, and changing your exercise routine just a little. I was in a stall recently. I am on Atkins. I found out the onions I was eating was contributing to the stall. I was also keeping my calories rather low at 1200 or less. I was told to increase them by 100 or so and to change my exercise routine. IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM I hope this is helpful to you
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:31 PM   #10  
patience and perseverance

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

LittlePinky ~ I haven't had a long stall yet, but the last one I added fat to my diet. Turns out a nearly no fat diet doesn't agree with my body. Eating more gave me a woosh and got me back on track.

islandchick ~ can you tell us why onions contributed to your stall? I eat a ton of them and am curious.
JayLei is offline   Reply With Quote