Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/216/180

Height: 5'7

Question Lapband after Bypass

Hello... I'm new here and have a question. I had Bypass 6 years ago. I did get down to my goal weight of 170 then a year after the surgery I had an ulcer that perforated which took me down to 150. I looked so sick... too thin! Since then I have gained about 75 pounds back! UGH! I still have the goal of 170-180 with 45 lbs to lose and I can't get there. I don't eat a lot or eat things that are bad for me. No soda, sweets, icecream, chips etc... I was wondering if it would be possible to get the lapband. Has anyone here gotten the lapband after Bypass? Any info would be appreciated!
liss68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I have seen people get a band over bypass if it is confirmed that their pouch or stoma has stretched. However, this will only help to limit the volume of food you can eat, and if you are truly not eating a lot, as you say, then I'm not sure this is a fitting solution for you.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

Hey Liss - there are several things you can do - but ya gotta go visit your surgeon. first of all, some docs think that the bypassed intestine sort of returns to 'normal' function after a time - so that the degree of malabsorption is lower than right after the surgery.

Also, while there are some ways to help, nothing 'cures' this problem, and it's important to find a surgeon with enough experience to do these procedures.

with the bypass, TWO things could expand: the stoma [that little outlet] OR the pouch itself. there are some surgeries that'll tighten things up - and some docs are doing them by sliding a scope down your throat rather than making incisions. these revisions work - to some extent.

some docs are putting lapbands in - and there's evidence to suggest that they work, but please consider that you'll have to now follow all the lapband rules, which include going in for fills/unfills so you can hit your sweet spot.

soooo, please have a heart-to-heart with your surgeon. and keep us posted! many of us are facing the same issue. I know I am. but i also know that i have to clean up my eating first. it's getting better..
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote