Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #1  

Default Eating Meat

Hi Everyone,
I am new here and this is my first post. I am 3 months post-op. I love my WLS for the most part so far! I have lost 74 pounds and feel great! So, here's my question, I can not eat meat, no matter how teeny I make the pieces or how much I chew them, they feel stuck and within a few minutes, they come up. I have no problem with fruits and veggies, liquids or some seafood. I don't have a stricture either. I was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem and does it get better with time. Like I said, I'm only 3 months out. maybe in a few month it will get better? Or maybe I need to train my pouch to get used to it? (sounds stupid I know but I'm grasping here) Some advice from some fellow WLS-er's would help. thanks!

Aimee
ahubertus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #2  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Aimee whatever meat you eat has to be really moist! REALLY Moist I remember Jiff saying she'd make a can if italian wedding soup and eat only the meatballs.
LF Luncheon meat might be a good option to start also
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

hi aimee! [and the lovely, talented kier!]

3 months out is when the FUN begins - all that trial and error. are you trying to eat things like - um - cooked chicken and turkey - the real kind that you cook on the stove or oven? roast beef? whatever? i found all that CHALLENGING for quite a bit longer than 3 months!

i lived on THINLY SLICED stuff. and ground stuff. that meant thinly sliced deli chicken and turkey - the least processed. thinly sliced pork, chicken, or veal scallopine [i live where there are several wonderful italian delis].

my surgeon told me that gravy would be my friend - who knew??? his take was that if a tablespoon or two of gravy was what would make the meat go down, then go for it. the protein was most important and the teeny little bit of gravy made the difference.

lots of people find chili works well.

and the leader of the support group i attended said that there were RED MEAT people and WHITE MEAT people. and that there was very little cross over of the two. i evolved into a red meat person - but it has to be RARE beef. or cooked to death [like pot roast]. can't tolerate much chicken or turkey - dark meat works better than white meat.

and the leftover syndrome - lots of us have it. we can eat the meat for one day, maybe two, but after that, we're DONE.

umm. oh. the soup. can you get progresso soup where you are? the italian wedding soup and the chickarina both have those cute little meatballs - kier's right - i fished them out, nuked them, and was fine.

does any of this help? and just so you know - i'm now - um - 8 years out, and just ate a chicken drumstick, and it's been coming up. it's a leftover. might be time for me to toss the other one!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #4  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I do both red meat white meat and my personal favorite dark meat Chicken thighs anyone? Nuking any leftover meat is really bad

Ground turkey Chili is really really good

Pork loin in the crock pot with a jar of salsa (mind the sugar) is a slice or indeed a falling a part bit of heaven I may have posted a recipe here

Major thing tiny tiny tiny bites and chew

That being said if you are cooking only for you
go luncheon meat or maybe those prepared meat with gravy jobbies in the fresh meat section.
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:11 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

Kier - why aren't we asleep??????
Old 09-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #6  

Well I'm 6 weeks out and I had baked chicken tonight,
it felt like I had died and gone to heaven
kellyd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

kelly - i saw your post on the other thread - and i'm wondering if you've had your first fill yet? you might not be losing weight yet because you have no restriction. Aimee had the gastric bypass, so the rules are a little different than for a lapband.