Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-04-2010, 06:40 AM   #1  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Arrow Birthdays can't hold a candle to...

RE-birthdays!!!! Today is my 4 year anniversary or my re-birthday as I call it. 4 years ago today was when I began to recapture my life. 4 years ago today was when I started to dig myself out of the hole that I dug myself into. I dug myself out of that hole and became whole.

This day is VERY significant to me. Much more so than the day that I hit *goal*.

These past 4 years have been thrilling and exhilarating. But those early days - what a time of self discovery and personal growth. It was a thrill a day. SUCH a learning experience.

My life is SO different now to what it was back than. I lived with SUCH worries. Everything that needed to be done always carried extra concerns along with it - the chairs, the fitting into spaces, the immobility, the clothing situation, social situations, the health concerns, the dreading of the summer. Oh the sadness, the shame, the settling - always settling, the - well I could go on and on.

Now - ahhh, I love life and can't wait to bounce out of bed in the morning to start my day. There's so much to do and I get so much pleasure from just doing ordinary things.

That burden, that huge burden that was ALWAYS there - gone. Gone. I love my life now. It is so different now I can't possibly begin to describe it. So, I won't.

But here's the odd thing, and I was wondering if any of you feel the same thing.

Though I was so unhappy back then and for soooo long, why oh why does that other life seem SO long ago, in certain ways? I'm 46 years old. This is without a doubt a small fraction of my life as compared to the old me which was a large majority of my life.

It's weird. As lengthy as those times were, in a way, it seems so long ago. And really, it's not. I almost want to say it was a lifetime ago. Are we just THAT adaptable?

It's really hard to describe and I know I'm not getting my thoughts out so clearly, but I was very curious to hear from others who may feel similarly... Anyone?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #2  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

14 August 2008 is the day I started, and I "finished" a little while back; even though I'm still trying to peel off a little more weight, I'm effectively done with the major weight loss portion of the project. I have to look at my sig to even remember which day it was I hit my goal weight, but 14 August is a day I have no trouble at all remembering. The funny part is that it didn't seem significant at the time; it was just the day I started, but I suspect it's always going to have huge emotional significance to me, on par with my wedding anniversary, because like my wedding anniversary, it's a date where my life changed so hugely and in ways I couldn't even imagine it would at the time.

Even within a few days of starting, I was feeling better, and within a week or two, I could conceive of myself being in this for the long haul. I've been suffering a little bit of burn-out lately, not of the kind that makes me feel like I'm going to go off the rails, just, perhaps, the sense that I'm tired of thinking about this, and maybe a bit of post-project letdown.

But then, this morning, I was taking a bath, and lifted one leg high to wash my ankle, and then rolled, very inelegantly, over on my side in the bath, because, to be crude, my big old butt wasn't big anymore, and there is a LOT of room in that bath with me. My hips don't even come close to touching the sides anymore. More to the point, I had my leg WAY up over my head, getting it there was effortless, and I don't even remember how long it's been since I could do that, without thinking about it. This led me down the path of thinking about other things I absolutely take for granted now; I fit in chairs, I can slip easily through narrow aisles in shops, I can climb and bend and dig in my garden without becoming short of breath, heck, I barely even SWEAT anymore -- I literally have to be sitting in direct sunlight, wearing reasonably heavy clothes, before I even notice if it's hot. (And yes, like so many formerly obese people, I am hyper-sensitive to the cold.) That nasty rash from my thighs rubbing together in the summer? I haven't even thought about that one in ages. When all of the two-seat benches on the bus are filled with at least one person, I am one of the FIRST people new passengers choose to sit next to, because there is PLENTY of room in the seat next to me. I decide I need to replace some item of clothing that's now way too big, and I basically make a day of it, because there are SO MANY SHOPS where I might find a new one, and I don't have to walk into the plus size shop and take whatever they may have (if they have it at all) because it's not like I have any other options. (And oh my goodness, how much do I love that? I am such a clotheshorse these days.)

So, after this, I'm feeling quite a lot better. I really think part of the recent blahs have been because it hadn't quite sunk in yet that I'm there. This is where just my daily life becomes a constant pay-off in terms of the work I've put into getting here, and the work I do daily to stay here. This is normal, and I do need to occasionally remind myself that there was a Before, and it was incredibly awful.

Congratulations to you on the 4th anniversary of changing your life for the better. Many, many, many more.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post

Though I was so unhappy back then and for soooo long, why oh why does that other life seem SO long ago, in certain ways? I'm 46 years old. This is without a doubt a small fraction of my life as compared to the old me which was a large majority of my life.
I know why

Robin, I know we have different religions but I believe, you and I, have the same God.

I believe, through the power of the Holy Spirit, He allows us to escape the past "sad things" in our lives, done by others or even self-inflicted, as we focus on things that are good and pure.

By switching your mind set to "good" you are leaving the "bad" things in the distance....at the same time not leaving the "good" things of the past...I am sure you still have fond memories of your family in your head that are not weight related....

Happy "Birthday"

Last edited by EZMONEY; 09-04-2010 at 08:26 AM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Happy Birthday Robin! You deserve the best day EVAHHHHH!

I can't answer your question but definitely can identify with it.

Make it a wonderful day. You have helped me so much and so inspired me.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I was thinking of you this morning!

Robin, congratulations on 4 years of "the good life". (That's the Nebraska state motto... ) You mean the world to me, thanks for being there.

I remeber the first time I read one of your posts & saw your avatar. In my mind I though..."wow, I want to be like her someday"...well, I'm still hoping to be like you someday!

You Rock Robin.

Oh and to answer your question... I agree with EZ. Yep.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 09-04-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
RE-birthdays!!!! Today is my 4 year anniversary or my re-birthday as I call it. ...

Happy Re Birthday
R0CKINROBIN

Congratulations on

EVERYTHING!

You have accomplished so much!

Last edited by nancymae; 09-04-2010 at 09:08 AM.
nancymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #7  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Many happy returns of the day! And many, many more!

Thank you for giving so much.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:22 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
I have to look at my sig to even remember which day it was I hit my goal weight, but 14 August is a day I have no trouble at all remembering.
Me too!! I remember it was some time in July, but the exact date always escapes me. I mean always. I just looked at it moments ago and I can't even recall it. I have some sort of mental block with it.

Quote:
He allows us to escape the past "sad things" in our lives, done by others or even self-inflicted, as we focus on things that are good and pure.

By switching your mind set to "good" you are leaving the "bad" things in the distance....at the same time not leaving the "good" things of the past...I am sure you still have fond memories of your family in your head that are not weight related....
Perfect Gary. Love it. It is really something though, isn't it?

Quote:
I remeber the first time I read one of your posts & saw your avatar. In my mind I though..."wow, I want to be like her someday"...well, I'm still hoping to be like you someday!
Ummm, Lori- I'm wanna be like you when I grow up! How's your rosemary doing??

Quote:
I can't answer your question but definitely can identify with it.
Good to *see* you Thighs. I'm glad someone can relate!

Another interesting thing about today, and trust me, this is not why I remember the date so clearly - it's my hubby's birthday, which is always an after thought - sorry babe. He goes around telling everyone that it (my losing the weight) was my birthday present to him. Gosh, I could (should?) smack him some times. .

Thanks all for the re-birthday wishes. I get to get all dressed up tonight. What to wear? What to wear? Different kind of dilemma now than all those years ago, that's for sure! Going out tonight with friends for what my hubby thinks is HIS birthday celebration. Ha. It'll be my (& 3fc's) little secret.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 09-04-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Happy Birthday Robin

I too need to look at my goal date, mostly so I can register for the National Weight Loss Registry, but Oct 6, 2009 is in my head forever. That is my new start at life day.

It isn't as if I hadn't lost weight successfully before, I had with the exception of NoS, but this is the first time I was in control of my weight loss. I made the choices, I did the research, I tailored it to my life. It is still an incredible process of discovery. I am very much a newbie with maintanence and I will take the time necessary to get this right too. Please keep posting:-)

So true about the clothes. I enjoy looking at the ads in the paper and the catalogues that come to the house. Such a change from before and a pleasure I did NOT even know I was missing. I pop into resale shops, look at store fronts. I am not confined to those large sizes any more. I jsut took a gorgeous dress to the tailor to be fitted.

True about being comfortable in the summer. I like the heat because I tend towards being cold now. I always take a sweater or jacket. I look tailored and as DH said beautiful.

RR your posts have been incredibly inspiring and informative to my success. I wish you every joy today and every day
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #10  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Happy re-birthday!!!!

I can relate to everything said here, but surprisingly I've never thought about my start date much until now! January 11, 2006 the beginning of my life!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #11  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up

Happy Re-Birthday Robin

And Congratulations for staying the course.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #12  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Robin, I wish you another beautiful, new year. Happy Re-Birthday!
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

RockinRobin, where's your story. I've looked up and down but don't see it! Thanks!
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Sorry I missed this thread, lovely Robin. Congratulations!!! You are still big in spirit/small in size inspiration

Hey - where is your goal story? I know you have one...right? I just searched all the threads you've started (sheesh) and I couldn't find it either!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

Oh gosh, poor Glory - that's a lot to sift through.

A while back I had up my *story* and my pics, but they are gone. Took em' down for personal reasons and they won't be coming back any time soon.

But you don't have to be on these boards very long to know my plan and where I came from and where I am and where I am never going back and where I intend to stay. I tend to be a bit vocal about the whole thing.

Thanks to everyone for the warm re-birthday wishes.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 09-12-2010 at 02:04 PM.