Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #1  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Unhappy I'm an inch shorter than I thought...OH NO!

I'm really freaking out right now. I had a physical the other day and the nurse measured my height. She said I was 5'6". I told her..."no, I'm 5'7", I've been 5'7" since I was a senior in HS". She said, "no, you are 5'6"...it says so right here!" She then told me my BMI was 23.1 (Weighed in at 143 with clothes and after breakfast at the clinic). A few hours before at home I has at a happy 21.9 BMI.

So anyway, I went home and remeasured myself...yep, 5'6"...SO I went on a bender last night and now I'm up a couple pounds...Oh well, When you lose an inch it's like gaining 8 pounds anyway. Oh Gawd...I am so depressed.

So 1500 calories a day...every single day until I'm back to a middle normal BMI. This really sucks.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

But you look the same as you did when you walked into the doctor's office. Nothing really changed, just your perception.

On the other hand, I know that sucks. Our eyes are so bad we rely on our tools to tell us how we're doing.

Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #3  
Chuggin' along...

Lori, I know this seems to suck , but.... did the way your pants fit change? Did the way your lungs work when you're exercising change? Did all of your other "numbers" change - your blood pressure, your cholesterol, your triglycerides (which I'm willing to bet are in a very healthy range)? Did the way you feel when you put on your skinny jeans change?

If she had told you that you were an inch taller than you thought, would you have immediately set out to gain five pounds to get back that same BMI number you like? I doubt it.

Don't let yourself get too wrapped up in numbers games. Our weight, BMI are tools we use to help keep our bodies in a healthy place, but they are that. Just tools. Take a few deep breaths. Nothing has really changed.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #4  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

That's the thing Eliana, when I walked out of the clinic, even though my Doctor praised me and gave me all kinds of Kudos for keeping the weight off...I still FELT like I had just gained 10 pounds. I'm a freak. All I could think about is that freaking inch.

I can lose 190 pounds and never look back, but I want that damn inch back NOW!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

That stinks Lori. I know height is something we all identify with. I have a very short aunt. and she always makes sure to say the and a half after her height. The fact that it's something you can't change makes it all the more annoying. Just remember you're the same beautiful woman you've always been. P.S. I wish I was even 5'5" let alone 5'6".

*hugs*
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #6  
Workin' It

I know how you feel, several years ago I discovered I was 5'5", when I have thought I was just over 5'6" my entire life. Annoyed me.

to you sweetie. You still look fantastic and that inch doesn't matter a bit.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #7  
weight, be gone!

S/C/G: 227/191/125

Height: 5' 4"

I know how you feel. When I had my height measured in July I found that I was not the 5'5" I thought, but 5'4". It was devastating, it made my weight seem that much more horrible. I'm using weight and BMI as a guideline to get me in the vicinity of where I want to be, but it will be how I feel in my new body that let's me know that I'm done.

Now, I'm more like, "Meh. So I'm 5'4". It doesn't really cross my mind much anymore.

Last edited by lolcat; 09-02-2010 at 11:27 AM.
lolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Lori, we are ALL going to lose height as we age. It's just true. And at that point, how can BMI make any sense anymore? Obviously if one has lost height due to natural processes, BMI makes no distinction there.

Keep taking those calcium supplements... Stop with the bingeing, that won't help anything. As Bright Angel pointed out in a thread in here the other day, our bodies are going to keep changing. We can do our best to stay healthy, of course, but things aren't going to stay the same.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #9  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Lori - two possible beacons of hope for you.

1. Was this incident in the morning or the afternoon? I understand from the boy I live with that you're taller in the morning than later on in the day. This is because of the pressure of the torso, head and arms bearing down on the legs. My 10 yo recommends early morning appointments.

2. I gained an inch or so after I'd been to the chiropractor. I was measured during a pre-op thing the next day. 5'6" she said. I'd been measured as 5'4" at school but thought I was a bit more. And so I am, if my spine etc is all aligned.

Moral of all this? That height *can* vary depending on time of day, state of the skeleton and posture.

btw, your new avatar is lovely.

Last edited by silverbirch; 09-02-2010 at 02:46 PM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

I'm fighting that "you lose height as you age" thing. I've been 5'4" since I stopped growing - and I'm 65 now and am still 5'4". I practice good posture, take my calcium, eat well and exercise. I watched my mom and my MIL both get shorter and in the case of MIL get that hump in her spine. Neither of them was particularly overweight, but neither did much exercise, or took any supplements. I say we don't have to slip into being "little old ladies!" Sure, we may end up a little shorter, but dang, I'm working so it happens later than sooner!

Last edited by WaterRat; 09-02-2010 at 02:35 PM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #11  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Makes me think of that 70's era poster "Just when you think you're winning the rat race they breed faster rats!".

This journey is hard enough without your body moving the finish line on you!

BMI is a guideline - useful for large populations but not always very accurate for individuals. There was just an article about this in the NY Times yesterd: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/31/he...r=1&ref=health
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Sending hugs your way. Your posts are inspiring and I am hope this is a just bump in the road called life.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #13  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Hey Lor, No worries, you can gain an inch or two with some cute heels or boots yanno or **** even gain 4 inches in height with stilletos!
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I have been, and still am 5'4" tall since I was 11 years old. Somehow I never thought of my height as freakish or abnormal or anything. I still don't. I think I am very average height for a north american woman.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Dagmar, if you went to the doc and they told you No, you're really 5'3", you might find it a little disconcerting--no?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote