Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Default "I'll never gain it back!"

That's what I told a friend several months ago. She and I are in this weight-loss journey together.

Anyway, I've found myself eating those words (no pun).

Within the past few months, I've gotten a new job, moved apartments and been extremely stressed. At my new place, I've found myself within walking distance from an Olive Garden and an On The Border (2 of my favorite restaurants). My local grocery store isn't as convenient at this new apartment - neither is the local Subway (Subway has been my faithful go-to place for quick, low-cal meals). I developed an addiction to Cheez-Its. Really and truly, I believe those crackers have something very addicting in them. It was haaaaard weaning myself off of them.

With my move and new job, I ended up with a longer commute to work plus longer work hours. Anyway, I was rewarded with a quick 10 pound gain. This 10 pounds went straight to my belly (turns out I'm an apple shape) and they kept me from fitting into my size 10 jeans. I felt so insecure and I started disliking my reflection. All I could see was those 10 pounds. It's as if I was wearing them as a sign of failure. I know it's "only 10 pounds" but that 10 pounds felt like 100 lbs on my back. I think this is because I knew that at the rate I was going, it was the first 10 of who knows how many more pounds!

I kicked myself in the butt after about 2 months of this. I started running on the treadmill every day and I am back on track (still over 160 but under 170, thank God). I just wanted to share this with you guys for a couple of reasons:

1) I want you guys to be careful to not get complacent as I did.

2) More importantly, I want you to know that if you do get off track (for whatever reason) you CAN put a stop to the bad behavior and get back on track.

As my friend told me, better to stop it at 10 pounds than to let it go to 20 or 30 pounds.

Love,
Me (not going down w/o a fight!)

Last edited by Cali Doll; 08-31-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:27 PM   #2  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Thank you for your post.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:44 PM   #3  
over and over again

S/C/G: 336.1/328.7/160

Height: 5'6

Yes Cali Doll....Thank u. I've fallen off track for 6 weeks and I've been gaining and losing those 7-10lbs. But I am now back to my weightloss. It is so easy to give up and wallow in that gain. But just like your friend said, at least it was only 10lbs and not 20 or 30. I praise the lord that I didn't gain over 10 lbs back. Wooooo.....btw. u look so good!!!!!!
sarcruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:50 PM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Cali, no one is perfect, but you have done exactly the right thing when you found your problem. Thanks for the honest confrontation, we will all benefit from your wisdom.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:50 PM   #5  
155LBS LOST

S/C/G: 300/145/140

Height: 5'3"

Thank you!!!
JennieLovesKisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:00 PM   #6  
No description available.

There is a reason that the word "crack" is in crackers.

WTG catching the gain and coming up with a plan! Feel free to join the Operation Take 5-10 thread in Maintainers where we beat those regained pounds into submission.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Good job getting back on track! I, too, am working on re-losing the weight I picked up with a move and new job. And, man, do they love food at my new job! But I'm finally adjusting and getting back into my healthy routine.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:41 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Thanks guys!
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:51 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I thank you for posting, too. It's great to hear people talking about how they deal with their slip-ups. I think they're inevitable (we're talking lifetimes and years here) and I think it helps to know that a) they're coming and b) we can deal with them!!

Congrats on getting back on track!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:32 AM   #10  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

We talk alot about the regain. It's quite helpful to be reminded frequently that maintenance really doesn't look terribly different than losing. I know I have a lifetime of being on this plan ahead of me.

Congratulations and what a gorgeous picture of you in your signature! GORGEOUS!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I don't think that you HAVE gained it back.

If you did, than I did too. Plus 5 more. I've been over my *goal* weight as much as 15 lbs. Yikes.

I did tell myself and still do that I will NEVER gain it back - but I mean ALL of it or a large portion of it.

For me, I need to keep to a range - yes 15 lbs was over the range of what I would have preferred, but I know I will never stay the same weight, just as I know I will never gain back majority of the weight I lost. NEVER. There, I said it again.

My intention is to never let it get to 15 lbs again, but THAT I will never say never about.

I think it's about the *catch*. Catching any lapse before it turns into a relapse and than a total COLLAPSE.

And you did just that.

And you very most likely will have to do it again.

I'm glad you're back on track. That track - it's a GREAT place to be.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #12  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 187/175/150

Height: 5'6

this is something i needed to hear as well, that is great that you caught yourself at just 10lbs, i feel the same way you do, i have gained 25lbs back of a 50lb loss and im just like there is NO way im going there again i need to stop it now, i try not to focus on the way my body looks and how my clothes feel and just try to focus on the fact that im stopping it now and all that other stuff will come back soon enough. i just pray that next time i can catch it a lot sooner as you have, im my book that's a huge accomplishment!!
nicolewoods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #13  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I don't think that you HAVE gained it back.

If you did, than I did too. Plus 5 more. I've been over my *goal* weight as much as 15 lbs. Yikes.

I did tell myself and still do that I will NEVER gain it back - but I mean ALL of it or a large portion of it.

For me, I need to keep to a range - yes 15 lbs was over the range of what I would have preferred, but I know I will never stay the same weight, just as I know I will never gain back majority of the weight I lost. NEVER. There, I said it again.

My intention is to never let it get to 15 lbs again, but THAT I will never say never about.

I think it's about the *catch*. Catching any lapse before it turns into a relapse and than a total COLLAPSE.

And you did just that.

And you very most likely will have to do it again.

I'm glad you're back on track. That track - it's a GREAT place to be.
So, in your experience both with your own weight and through chatting with other maintainers, would say many of us choose unsustainable goals in the first place? Just curious...I sometimes wonder if it's unrealistic to maintain our long term goals.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/156/125

Height: 5'5

Congratz on getting back on track!!!! It can be so frustrating. I beat myself up over every lb I gain back. You look great BTW
Lliaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #15  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
So, in your experience both with your own weight and through chatting with other maintainers, would say many of us choose unsustainable goals in the first place? Just curious...I sometimes wonder if it's unrealistic to maintain our long term goals.
This is just my standpoint and others might be like this as well, but when I chose a "goal weight" I was over 200 lbs and had never been a normal weight in my entire life. I think more than unattainable, the number I chose was just arbitrary. I chose 130 as my goal weight. I did get to as low as 127, but that was due to exhaustion. I found that I can most comfortably maintain at 140. My body seems to like that number and I have accepted it. I don't think 130 is necessarily unattainable for me, but my goal weight just sort of "revealed itself" to me over time and it happened to be a different number than what I pulled out of my head at the start of the process.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote