Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-30-2010, 03:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/ 129 /120

Height: 5'7"

Exclamation Batter Binge

well it started with the cookie batter & only got worse.

It's about 02 in the afternoon & I'm completely undone. About 3000 calories today so far. So how do I continue my day as to not gain too much weight & not feel horrible enough to continue the binge? ...Right now I feel pretty low.
hippy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 172/150/145

drink lots of water and get back on plan! one binge will not undo all the work you've done- stop now!! you'll feel better by stopping the binge in its tracks, rather than horrible for giving up. you can do this!!!
pucedaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Take a deep breath.
Have a glass of water.
Go for a walk.
Plan a light but reasonable dinner -- salad with grilled chicken, or roasted veggies over brown rice.
Have another glass of water.

You can stop now, and the day is not a total disaster. You can keep eating, and feel worse. It is up to you!

(I spent the last week binging, so I can relate... )
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/160/130

Height: 5'2"

Smile

pucedaisy and thesame7lbs are right, great advice. After reading your post I wanted to send you some words of encouragement because I have been there so many times before and know how it feels. You can do it! You are not your binge! Just move on, maybe journal and start anew. I'll be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way. Enjoy the rest of your binge free day!
jenjen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

You just need to move on. Let it go. Don't feel guilty enough to say "screw it" and do it again, but also keep in mind that doing this again in the future will stall your efforts.

Do not try to compensate by eating wayyyy too little. It'll only lead you to binge again.

Just do something active like cleaning or going for a walk. Plan a healthy dinner, and while you're at it, plan tomorrows meals.

For the future, know that for some people (ask me how I know!) it's never "one lick." It's a lot easier to just keep the gate closed than to try and stop myself. I can have sweets and treats, but they must be planned; no random licks, no "harmless" bites. That's just me. I have a bunch of helpful quotes for myself in a file on my computer for when I'm feeling ehhh. Here's one that applies, "It is easier to suppress the first desire than to satisfy all that follow."

Good luck! Keep your head up!
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
You can stop now, and the day is not a total disaster. You can keep eating, and feel worse. It is up to you!
This, times a million.

Get away from the trigger food, drink some water, take a walk, and decide that no matter what happened until this point, from this point forward you're making healthy choices.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I have nothing new to add. I agree with all the others and just wanted to offer an additional hug!
Hickory0305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/ 129 /120

thanks everyone. Even though I've heard it all before, once more doesn't hurt. Although my scale has jumped 6lbs from this morning & I know won't go back down even though it should...I'll just start over...again. Not tomorrow but at supper. & maybe a cleansing walk.
hippy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I just have to ask...What kind of plan are you on? Your BMI is 20, the lower end of normal. Could your body be telling you something? Like FEED ME?

Hopefully you are not being unrealistic about a goal weight. 120 for a 5'7" person is very low. Borderline underweight...and that is if you have tiny little bones and frame.

Sometimes binges are not out of mental weakness, or disordered eating, or some other diagnosis code...SOMETIMES they result when a person is truly starving.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #10  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Great advice so far.

I am currently reading The Thin Commandments and commandment #7 is all about nipping a binge in the bud and learning from the experience. Here are my notes on it (and if they don't make sense, that's my fault, not the author's! I am just jotting down what resonates or is what is new to me - also it's very condensed)

Quote:
7. Slips Should Teach You, Not Defeat You. The single biggest cause of excess pounds is not a food, or a behavior—it is a mindset. It’s a mental habit that reacts to a diet slip by giving up. No one ever gets heavy from one mistake, one meal of extra calories, a bag of candy or food at a party. It’s only when you lose control of the eating that comes after the mistake that the weight gain begins. Don’t fall into: “I’ll be perfect or perfectly horrible.”
a. Instead of saying “I blew it” say “Stop now”
b. Write out a revised plan after a slip up of all the foods for the rest of the day – employ “SLIP TO SLEEP” - COMMIT TO FOLLOWING THE PLAN UNTIL BEDTIME
c. The day after: Start with exercise, even 15 minutes. Plan the foods for the day. Get rid of the cheat food if it’s still around. Don’t under-eat.
d. Discover your predictable pattern in eating mistakes – with certain people, with certain types of foods, certain places, time??? Learn from this.
e. Use binge-busters to end a craving:
i. Sugar blocker gum or breath strips – make you feel like you don’t want to eat anything
ii. Drink low-cal sweet beverage or carbonated beverage or tomato juice
iii. Soup
f. Make a negative association with the foods that tempt you.
i. imagine wearing it
Maybe something in there helps? I know, all of it is easier said - or written - than done.

Good luck to you in getting back on the healthy eating wagon!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:28 PM   #11  
One day at a time :)

S/C/G: 157/134/122

Height: 5'3"

Sugar is such a trigger for me that I just kind of keep away when my mom and sister are baking, and allow myself nightly little treats, like weight watchers icecream, ices, froyo, or even better, a frozen yogurt or pudding cup. Maybe try that -- if you don't deprive yourself of it, what is there to crave and binge on?
ElanaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

A great analogy (or 2), I believe they're from member Jayell:

"If you were to trip on a step, would you throw yourself down the rest of the staircase?"

"If your car has a punctured tire, would you proceed to puncture the other 3?"

No, of course not, on either front.

Our food has GOT to be the same way.

Cookie batter? Risky stuff. I've got to be in a real good state of mind to resist that stuff. But I do find it easier to not have that first bite. I don't allow myself the option to. Once I do - I'm usually gone. Gone.

LoriBell spoke of a plan. Do you have one?

For me, having a plan - mapping out my food schedule in advance is the only way to go. I have that sensible, intelligent plan that I've made when I'm rational and reasonable. I know exactly what I'm eating for each and every meal and snack AHEAD of time, in advance. No veering. Makes it MUCH easier to stay on plan when you've got one.

In other words, wanting "it" is all fine and dandy - but I've got to set myself up for success - I do that by keeping my trigger foods far away and by planning ahead.

And that Thin Commandments Book - the best, the best, the BEST.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote