Old 08-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #1  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Default Share your favorite seasonings?

What are some of your favorite seasonings and what do you use it on? I find myself getting bored with seasonings and I buy the same ones. I pretty much hate cooking but when Im up for it I want to try some different things.
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #2  
weight, be gone!

S/C/G: 227/191/125

Height: 5' 4"

My absolute favorite is curry..... I use it on everything, and I have several different blends of it.... my favorites are from Merwanjee Poonjiajee & Sons, and Kohinoor.
I use a LOT of black pepper...
chili powder
cayenne
tandoori powder
garlic
dry mustard
Mrs Dash
mixed seasonings (McCormick Vegetable)
sage
paprika

I have tons of spices, but those are being used most right now. I will use any spice on anything, I love to experiment, different combinations on roasted vegetables, baked fish, chicken, etc. I do not like salt, so I do not use very much.

I also take a pre-packaged veggie dip mix and mix with lowfat sour cream and use sparingly as a veggie or potato topping (YUM!!!!).
lolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/158

Height: 5ft 7in

My favorite seasonings are:

Cayenne
Dry Rosemary
Dry Oregano
Cumin
Paprika
Fresh Garlic
Black Pepper

I use some combination of these seasonings on just about everything I cook.
joyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 266.2/See ticker/133.0

Height: 5'5

I <3 cumin!

It's good with things like chickpeas, freaking AWESOME on roasted potatoes, and I'll even sprinkle it on salad. It's kind of nutty and makes me think of middle Eastern food. I LURVE it.

I also use fresh lemon juice and lots of cracked black pepper on anything I can get my hands on.
DaughterOfVenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

My fave herb to GROW and use is BASIL!! It grows sooo easy and sooo much! It's like a weed! I love the taste and smell too. I add it to anything with meat whenever possible because I'm not a big fan of meat, weird, I know.
ElizabethG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 306/255/160

Height: 5'6"

Yeah, I second ElizabethG on the basil!! Sooooo good. I personally try to use fresh herbs whenever possible, I cook a lot though and grow my own herbs (totally easy BTW if you want to try it!) I also love love love love love dill! I put it on eggs a lot and I especially love it on potatos. Chives I think are great too, just a light sprinkling helps finish any dish.
I also second the cumin and garlic, I love the warmth that you get from their scents. Ginger is great too, just be careful not to go overboard with it. I think my use of spices, herbs, etc has really kept me from becoming insanely bored with my food, as it is quite basic now.
swtbttrfly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Fresh lemon, lime or orange peel (good on chicken or mild fish but it makes even plain yogurt seem kinda fancy). I go through a lot of lemons and limes for my water, so I figure I might as well not let the peel go to waste.

Yes, fresh herbs in general are a nice change from dried, I have a couple of basil, rosemary, mint and parsley plants on the balcony. And you can stick a couple of leaves or even flowers on the side of a plate or in a lunchbox to make it look more Martha-Stewartish. If you don't have practice growing them, buy a couple in small pots from the nursery, replant them all together in a bigger pot, give them lots of sun (that is, put them outdoors). Don't worry if you kill 'em a couple of times, we've all done it. Just go get another 2" pot and stick it place of the last one.

A squeeze of lemon (REAL! not the bottle), a few drops of olive oil, salt and pepper are traditional on lots of Greek salads and dips and vegetables. There is a popular shredded cabbage-carrot salad where that is the only dressing, that I eat a lot as a side, or put as a filler in wraps. Also on beet and other greens. The next Greek accessories are always dried oregano and some olives, and then you have a whole meal. Works well for all kinds of grilled meat and vegetables.

I like sun-dried tomato in a lot of things too. You can add it to spreads on crackers, last week I snipped some up very fine with scissors and put it in deviled eggs.

Fresh cilantro, soy sauce, ginger, and a couple drops of sesame oil to make things "Asian", esp leaf/cabbage salads. I put hoisin sauce on a lot of things too. Like, on everything, if I had a spouse he would probably have strangled me by now. Really good with steamed broccoli. I have it in a ketchup squeeze bottle so it's easier to dispense and control amounts (though it's not TOO bad calorie-wise: like ketchup).

My grocery store has just started stocking "Naked Chef" spice mixes which come in a grinder jar. There's a spicy Asian one with pepper, Asian chilis, and ginger I've been using a lot.

I bought some fancy oils last month when I was at home in the US (like walnut oil and "truffle" oil -- I know it's not really squeezed from truffles but wanted to try it). They were really cheap at Marshalls but haven't had a chance to use them yet.

Also got some Chinese five-spice powder I'm eager to try, and stocked up on the chipotle and ancho chili powder. Although there was a particular recipe I wanted the five-spice powder for and now I've forgotten.

I have a friend whose husband does all the cooking, and goes through lots of phases, and apparently he is currently on a "liquid smoke" kick. Hee hee. I brought her a "curries and Persian spices" starter pack from the Gulf to see if we can jolt him out of it. I hope she got the preserved lemons through customs successfully.

Last edited by bronzeager; 08-25-2010 at 07:27 AM.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #8  

Height: 5'0"

Cilantro
Basil (I freeze homegrown so I have it on hand all year)
GARLIC!!!!
leannerenee is offline   Reply With Quote