Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/295/160

Height: 5'8

Default Seroquel and Weight Loss

Is anybody else around here on seroquel, or have you been on it?

Doc is really pushing for me to try seroquel. I've been hesitant to try it for more reasons that just the weight gain but it seems like she's getting slightly frustrated. I'm asking her to give me many options so that we can look at a broader spectrum but she seems to think seroquel is best.

I've just recently made the firm decision with myself to change my lifestyle for what will be the LAST time. I don't want anything messing this up. I can't really handle being discouraged again. I refuse to take something that's gonna make me gain. I just can't do it.

So if any of you have been on seroquel and have any tips, have had success losing, or know any diet plans/specific foods to watch out for/specific foods to substitute to work better with seroquel please let me know. I'd really appreciate any feedback.

BAH, I hate meds and trying to make my brain and my body healthy at the same time.

Last edited by TheActress; 08-23-2010 at 07:13 PM.
TheActress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/295/160

I'm not in any way using this as medical advice. I'm using this as an avenue to find out about other's personal experiences with seroquel and their weight gain and or ability to lose so that I can better advocate for myself with my psychiatrist. I do my own research so that I can decide what I feel is best for me.

I do not let my psych call all the shots. I've been in this game too long for that. I've already tried geodon and abilify and had side effects that were too awful to warrant continuing. I usually do not react well to AAPs and thus am not even really happy about considering Seroquel in the first place. However thats not even really the point of this post.

I welcome anyone's personal experience stories with Seroquel and thank anyone willing to share.

EDIT TO INCLUDE: Also I would like to include that I do understand Seroquel effects cravings, metabolism, and increase in appetite. Especially carb cravings and when left unchecked and without strict personal responsibility has unfortunately led many people to become diabetic. Its very much a sad sight. I understand that portion control and self control can help this; however I don't want to be starving and craving carbs all the time. I came to find other's experiences. That is all.

Last edited by TheActress; 08-23-2010 at 08:00 PM.
TheActress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #3  

Default Seroquel

I'm on Seroquel, and yes, carb cravings can definietly get the best of you is you let them go unchecked. However, I find that if I follow my weight loss plan (I'm on WW), then I lose just as much as I used to pre-meds.

It is frustrating taking medications. I'm on a pretty heavy coctail for my bipolar, and I find it makes me a lot more physically sensitive that I used to be (Nauseous, tired, weepy!)...but I guess it's all worth it for more peace of mind.
rockrgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:36 PM   #4  
Dog Lover

S/C/G: H:226/215/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

I was on Seroquel for a couple of years and honestly, I don't think I had any weight gain problems. It was a few years before I gained all this weight. But everyone is different. That's why I think you should try it and see how it goes. Almost all antidepressants have the weight gain risk, so you might as well see how this particular one works for you. You can always try something different if the weight starts to become a problem.
ravenjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #5  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

I've been on Seroquel since 2004. I gained weight on it, mostly in the breasts and hips though. Keep in mind I handle all medications really well so I didn't have any other side effects. For me though, the benefits of being on Seroquel far far outweigh the weight gain. I'd rather have all the weight than be how I was before. But no, no cravings or anything that I noticed.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/ticker/115

Height: 5'6

I take Seroquel sometimes as a sleep aid. Let me rephrase that -- every night. I didn't notice any cravings or increased appetite, but now that you mention it, I'm not losing as fast as I usually do so perhaps it affected my metabolism. If you're fairly early in your weight loss story, I'll bet the increased exercise alone may conquer a lot of depression. From reading online, it seems that Seroquel is a pretty strong antispychotic so you are wise to be careful.
crimsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #7  
Determined Diva

S/C/G: 321/295/170

Height: 6'2"

My DSD was on numerous meds for bipolar, including Seroquel, and she definitely has issues with weight gain. (She also had fairly bad side effects with Geodon and Abilify.) It seems to cause a pretty serious carb craving that she isn't able to work around yet--her mental health, I think, makes it much more difficult for her to manage her weight.

You, on the other hand, seem to be pretty together and proactive. I'm certain that if you select a trial of Seroquel, you will approach it with a plan and will be able to integrate it (it's a very useful medication) into your new lifestyle plan without a hitch. I think the key is as someone above said, eat in your plan and maybe focus on lower-carb or lower-glycemic-index foods to avoid that possible weight gain-carb trigger that happens sometimes with this class of medications.

Getting your meds adjusted into a good regimen can be challenging, but it seems to me that you're doing it exactly the right way with physician input, your own research, and getting others' experiences. Best wishes!
LiliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #8  
kcx

S/C/G: 212.2/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Seroquel caused a lot of night cravings for me, but I just took it for sleep. A lot of people who took it told me that after awhile on it (a few weeks), your body gets used to it and it isn't as much an issue.

However, definitely discuss your weight loss goals with you doctor. If there is something else out there that will help you mentally AND physically, I'm sure he wouldn't be averse to prescribing it.
kcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 246/233/175

Height: 5'8"

I was on Seroquel XR for 4 months, 300 MG. I gained over 30 lbs. My metabolism is now shot and I am losing weight very slowly. If I could go back I would never take that medicine. I even lost my job because of taking that medicine.

Every night I would wake up in the middle of the night and goto the refrigerator and eat, eat eat.. And wouldn't even remember it the next morning. I walked around like a zombie and do not even remember those few months hardly. It also made me sleep 12-14 hours every night. It caused my hands and feet to cramp and jerk around uncontrollably as I tried to goto bed each night. And even though at small doses, it is prescribed as a sleep aid, I had trouble getting to sleep the majority of the time.

Like they said above, everyone is different. But if I were you, I would google Seroquel and weight gain and read some of the experiences. I wish I had read it before I took that stuff.
jefferzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #10  
Onederland - Gotcha

S/C/G: 252/180/178

Height: 5'9"

I have been on Seroquel for about 9 months. Seroquel makes it a bit harder to lose weight but it IS possible. I am losing slowly on it now, I just got back on plan a few weeks ago. I had a severe manic phase in March/April and was on a high dose, 800mg for several weeks to knock the mania down, I am on half of that now and stable. I am keeping to 1,500 calories per day and exercising for 15-30 minutes 4 or 5 times a week and I have relost a few lbs. Good luck to you!
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #11  
Going back to Onderland!

S/C/G: 289/ticker/189

Height: 5'8"

I was put on Seroquel in 2007, for insomnia and depression associated with PTSD. I gained 70 pounds in 3 months. I didn't know why I was gaining weight, since my psychiatrist didn't inform me that it can cause weight gain. I went to my primary care doctor. He was frightened at how quickly I was gaining weight. When he saw I was on Seroquel, he had me stop taking it immediately. I switched psychiatrists, needless to say. This was especially hard because I was already struggling with being overweight, so it deepened my depression even further.
NurseSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:22 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 272/258.4/150

Height: 5' 5.5"

I don't know how anyone takes Seroquel and functions. My doc(s) have tried to put me on it several times and even one 50 mg. pill puts me out of commission for days. Seriously, I'm in a coma-like state for 24+ hours. My husband has had to check on me to make sure I'm alive. LOL...it's crazy. I save the Seroquel for long periods where I can't sleep...works like a charm except for the whole zombie/coma thing.

Why does your doc want you to try that med in particular?
thewronggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 175/154/135

Disclaimer: I'm clearly not a medical professional.

My best friend was taking Seroquel and she gained 10 lbs., however, she claimed that her doctor told her it wasn't the medication, but the fact that her anxiety diminished meant that her appetite went up and she was less reluctant to indulge. I take trazadone at night for insomnia and I've lost a bit of weight because I'm not as tired during the day so I don't have the urge to eat to keep my energy up.
chanmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 273/268/200

Height: 5'4"

I've been on Seroquel for about 4 years now. I've gained weight, yes, but I was gaining weight prior to that. I take 150mg at night to sleep and yes, my dr. says I am borderline bipolar. I've noticed for myself that I definitely crave carbs and sweets and about an hour and a half after I take it. I find it best to take it moderately "full" and not hungry because I go looking for sweets and carbs and since I'm sleepy my resistance is definitely down.
Swoozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #15  

Height: 5'2"

I've been on Seroquel for about 8 months for severe insomnia. I have gained weight while on it, but I don't know if I can blame just the medication. I've always been a binge eater and gone up and down in weight. For me, the benefits of Seroquel far outweigh the possible side effects. It has completely changed my life... I'm no longer an insomniac and feel amazing. I would suggest giving it a try and seeing how you react to it. If it isn't worth it for you, you can always stop and find something else. Everyone reacts to medication differently. Good luck!!
Jpye is offline   Reply With Quote