Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Question Wii Fit Plus or My Fitness Coach?

I dug my Wii Fit out today and had fun but I think it sucks that it doesn't give calories and I can only do one exercise at a time, so I remembered why I QUIT doing it.

I have read that Wii Fit Plus pretty much fixes all of my issues listed above but in my search I also found My Fitness Coach and I think that looks interesting as well. Both have good reviews. Even Gold's Gym's game looks good! I don't know which to get!

I guess I could try to find them used on ebay but if I could just get one at Walmart, which should I get?

Any thoughts??

Thank you!!

Last edited by ElizabethG; 08-22-2010 at 09:22 PM.
ElizabethG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/178.5/155

Height: 5'7.5"

I only know about Wii Fit plus, I don't know about the others. The Wii Fit does give you calories now, so you know how much you're burning. But to be honest, if you were bored with the first one I don't know how different (other than the calorie count) the new one is. I was VERY excited about it, but now I just play with it every so often for fun - not because I think it's a good workout.

Not too make it more confusing, but I have Your Shape by Jenny McCarthy, and that game is a good workout in my opinion.
Alicia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 226/200/140

Height: 5'1"

Hi, I own both 'games', and wii fitness coach is a good workout, and thye do tell you what you burned. However, I am wondering how accurate the scale is, because according to two different scales I have lost approx. 6 pounds, but the wii scale hasn't moved at all... have you had this problem??
elaine19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine19 View Post
Hi, I own both 'games', and wii fitness coach is a good workout, and thye do tell you what you burned. However, I am wondering how accurate the scale is, because according to two different scales I have lost approx. 6 pounds, but the wii scale hasn't moved at all... have you had this problem??
Thanks for the opinion. Actually my balance board was dead on yesterday. I weighed in at 205.8 and it was between the 205 and 206 and closer to the 206 on Wii Fit. I put in that my clothes were 'light' which makes it subtract 2 lbs though, but I think that is probably what my clothes weigh as well as any food so far that day since I did it in the evening. Are you having it subtract anything for clothes? Also I usually weigh in first thing in the AM with no clothes so that weight is always going to be less than whatever Wii Fit tells me since I'm doing that fully clothed later in the day.

Hope that helps!

Also I am really interested in the yoga portion of Wii Fit Plus. I am a major beginner to yoga but I enjoy it on the Wii but hate having to click between the exercises. I want to just get a dvd but I like the 'feedback' the balance board gives me to form/weight distribution/etc. I figure once I hit 'expert' on all of those exercises maybe I will try a dvd and be more confident with my form.

I know Wii has a yoga game but I hear it sucks.

Thanks for the suggestion Alicia87, I will check it out!

Last edited by ElizabethG; 08-23-2010 at 02:29 PM.
ElizabethG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #5  

The only issue with putting together a yoga program on the fit plus is that in order to take away all the clicking between exercises you don't get a score. So I still do them one at a time because I like seeing my score at the end.

But I do love the fit plus! And I have a bodybugg so I can tell you that the calorie count it gives is pretty accurate.
Remisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I have all 3. My fitness coach, golds gym and wii fit and wii fit plus. Ok, 4 of them

All are good. My fitness coach is like having an unlimited number of exercise videos. There is very little interaction. Basically you turn it on and about 3 times during the work out she'll ask "how was that?" you can pick, I couldn't keep up, it was too easy, or I was working hard. I get tired of her little motivational snippets she throws out and a few other annoyances. But all in all, it's pretty good. I've had a year now and haven't done the same exercise routine. I like that it modifies the work out according to your ability. MFC also has a yoga workout but it's not very good. She doesn't explain how to do the poses well, and while you've got your head down on the ground she changes her pose and doesn't tell you. After every 12 workouts or so you check your progress with how much you weigh-you have to have a scale it doesn't interact with the wii fit board. your measurements and how many pushups, crunches and pulse rate resting and after doing 2 minutes of jumping jacks. It seems to do a good job of adjusting the workout according to your fitness level.

Gold's Gym is primarily a boxing game. A good workout, it does have other things to round out your work out. I used it for several months but started getting a weird twinge down my arm, like a nerve pinch or something so I think I wasn't punching correctly. And I never got the hang of bouncing back of forth.

Wii Fit plus is really nice also. It's much better the regular Wii Fit because you can add exercises together to get a workout, the aorebic exercises can go pretty long. I just opened up the expert bike and spent 45 minutes trying to find all the flags and finally just gave up. And it does have yoga moves that are pretty good.

So, if I only could have 1, I think I'd take Wii Fit Plus because it does have a lot of different things and you can get a work out if you try.

MFC is good if you just want to do exercise routines without much planning.

Have fun chosing your next game.
Sarah in MD

Last edited by sarahyu; 10-29-2010 at 04:33 PM.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180.6/177.2/120

Height: 5'1"

I have wii fit and some other horrible exercise game (drawing a blank on her name .. biggest loser lady). anyways, i dont care for either of those - the best luck ive had on the wii is dance dance revolution. your working out and it doesn't even feel like it plus its a ton of fun and wicked addiciting!
sailyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 235/149/135

Height: 5'5

it's fun, but honestly don't burn that many calories doing it. it's good for just starting to work out, but not for long term.
elleohelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailyn View Post
I have wii fit and some other horrible exercise game (drawing a blank on her name .. biggest loser lady). anyways, i dont care for either of those - the best luck ive had on the wii is dance dance revolution. your working out and it doesn't even feel like it plus its a ton of fun and wicked addiciting!
How long have you been using DDR? I sort of want that one but have heard horrible reviews for the dance pad itself. HOw they slip around on hard wood floors, don't work properly after awhile.

Which dance pad did you get and how long have you used it?
Thanks
Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote