Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 380/see ticker/194

Height: 6'2"

Default Clothing frustration... ugghh!!

Hi everyone! So, I am getting really frustrated that even though I have lost around 40lbs, I have only gone down like 1 size in my clothes. I started in a 26/28 and in 28 pants (they were on the tight side) and now I can fit some 22/24 tops and 26 pants. I know that any loss is a great thing, but it is hard knowing that there are so many inches between sizes on the upper end of clothes sizes. I mean, it is great on the way up (I wasn't having to change sizes every time I gained 10 lbs). But, it is really annoying on the way down! I have a friend who is dieting as well and she has also lost around 40 lbs. She started at an 16 or 18 and is now in a 10 and can fit in some 8s. I went clothes shopping the other day because my 28s were getting way too small but I barely fit in the 26s. They were still pretty tight!

Do any of y'all find it really frustrating at times that it seems like when you are at such a high size, it takes forever for the sizes to go down?!
southernbelle102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:13 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I understand exactly what you are saying. There is no way around it, but through.

Hang tight. Stick with your plan, stick with your plan, STICK WITH YOUR PLAN!!! Before you know it, your weight and your dress size will be plummeting.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I think a lot of it has to do with being tall. I have to drop around 15 pounds to drop one pants size, and that is frustrating, because I know I'm making good progress.
you are doing an amazing job! Keep it up!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 380/see ticker/194

Thanks, ladies! It is nice to know that you relate! I agree that a lot of it is because I am tall as well. I can't wait til I go shopping and can go a couple of sizes down!!
southernbelle102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #5  
Determined Diva

S/C/G: 321/295/170

I agree with there being a correlation with being tall--I've dropped 18 pounds (officially--maybe more since I don't weigh very often!), and NOBODY NOTICES and I'm still in the same size of clothing. I'm looking forward to getting back into the size of most of my work clothes, if only for a short while. Frankly, I'm looking forward to making a closet-wide donation to Goodwill when I pass the size of all of it, and then we'll see. I'm an excellent shopper. (snicker)

So, yes, I feel your frustration 100%!! So ready for this to be off my body! But I wouldn't trade the journey for anything; every day I make good decisions is a day that strengthens my habits. I plan to make healthy choices for the rest of my life, so practice makes perfect (or at least consistent!!).
LiliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #6  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

ALso keep in mind that the higher sizes have more inches between them than the lower sizes. I read the other day that the difference in waist size between a 28 and a 26 is an inch and a half or so, whereas the difference between an 8 and a 10 is an inch. You can see this when you look at size charts online (look at Old Navy or Banana Republic, then look at Woman Within).

So kinda like the "paper towel theory", where it takes more loss at a higher weight for it to look like you've lost anything (because it's coming off from all over your body and your body is very large to begin with), it takes more inches lost before you can go to a lower size.

I've lost 40 pounds, and I'm still wearing 3 and 4x pants. The 4xs are very loose, but the 3x is still fine. It's frustrating... but it will come in time. Just keep plugging away at your plan, and the weight loss (AND the smaller sizes) will come in time!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #7  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Yes, definitely keep in mind that there's a MUCH bigger difference between the higher sizes than the lower sizes.

American Eagle jeans fit my body the best (the only jeans that make it look like I have a real booty, lol), so every single pair of jeans I have is from there and it's easy to compare sizes with no brand differences.

I started out juuust barely stuffing myself into a size 12 in AE. As in, I couldn't even button them, I had a rubber band holding the button and button loop. I should have been in a 14 for sure. After losing the first 25lbs, I was absolutely thrilled to realize that I could fit into my first ever pair of size 8 jeans. That's a 25lb difference going down two sizes. But over the next 25lbs, I went from a size 8 to a 2!!! I seriously could not buy jeans fast enough, it seemed like every two weeks or three weeks, I'd say every 5lbs, I was having to get a new size down.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #8  
God Will Guide Me!

S/C/G: 272.8/ticker/234

Height: 5'7''

In my case I lose all around, not just in my belly, so the weight comes off on my face arms, legs, belly, etc etc. If it all came off my belly then yeah id be a smaller size, but that aint happening. and i am ok with that because i dont want to have a teeny waist and a huge rest of my body lol!!!
jackiemomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #9  

Height: 5' 5"

I might be an anomaly, but I can wear a 16 at any weight between 230-195. I suppose my boobs and hips stay big no matter how much I lose
The upside is that I don't have to buy a bunch of clothes until I'm under 200 lbs- and I still have my 14s in a box in the closet.
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #10  
Future Mrs.

S/C/G: 291.6 / ticker / 175

Height: 5'9

It could also be the areas in which you lose 1st. I personally lose in my face and chest, my butt is always the last to go. My wait at the moment is a 14 but I'm still in 16's because of the booty. Just keep it up, you will start losing from those other areas soon. Congrats on the 40lb loss..that's where I am too. =)
justjill124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle102 View Post
Hi everyone! So, I am getting really frustrated that even though I have lost around 40lbs, I have only gone down like 1 size in my clothes. I started in a 26/28 and in 28 pants (they were on the tight side) and now I can fit some 22/24 tops and 26 pants. I know that any loss is a great thing, but it is hard knowing that there are so many inches between sizes on the upper end of clothes sizes. I mean, it is great on the way up (I wasn't having to change sizes every time I gained 10 lbs). But, it is really annoying on the way down! I have a friend who is dieting as well and she has also lost around 40 lbs. She started at an 16 or 18 and is now in a 10 and can fit in some 8s. I went clothes shopping the other day because my 28s were getting way too small but I barely fit in the 26s. They were still pretty tight!

Do any of y'all find it really frustrating at times that it seems like when you are at such a high size, it takes forever for the sizes to go down?!
Oh yea, I can remember being frustrated when I first started, tops 26/28 ( I liked them loose and not form fitting ) and bottoms, just starting to get into size 26. Seemed I had lost 50 pounds before I moved into 22's. Think of it this way, the smaller you get, the quicker the sizes will drop.

You are off to a fantasic start! Keep up the good work!
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #12  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

I've lost 50 lbs and went from tight 26s bottoms to snug 22s. It's frustrating, but your option is to give up. Hang in there. The size drop will come.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:38 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

losing sizes just comes with more frustrations! having to buy new pants, being awkwardly in-between sizes forever...the whole process is frustrating!

You're doing awesomely...before you know it, you'll be struggling to keep pants on!
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:06 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

One thing that I remember about being at my highest weight was that EVERY pair of pants I owned was wayyyyy too tight, but I refused to buy larger pants. It took longer for me to get to a new size because I wasn't even wearing the right size to begin with, lol.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:04 AM   #15  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirit View Post
One thing that I remember about being at my highest weight was that EVERY pair of pants I owned was wayyyyy too tight, but I refused to buy larger pants. It took longer for me to get to a new size because I wasn't even wearing the right size to begin with, lol.
Haha, I can so relate to this! I was talking to my aunt the other day and told her I have lost 40lbs so far, and she said, "Oh, my, you're going to need some new clothes soon, huh!". Nope, the ones I had before are just now fitting! hahahaha

I totally see what you are saying, southernbelle. I am always reading about people with less to lose going down a pants size after a 15 lb loss, and I'm thinking, huh, my 4x's are getting a little baggy now, but I should be able to 'rock them' (ah, hahahaha) for at least 20 more pounds. Then the 3xs I have from on the way up will likely get me through another 40-50lbs before I REALLY need new ones.

So apparently we better just hold on to our clothing fund for now, wear our big ol' mumus as long as we can, because once we get closer to goal, we'll need that cash to go down all those sizes! That said, I gutted my closet yesterday trying to organize/declutter, and I donated ALL of my 4x tops meant for cooler weather. They WILL be way to baggy on me by the time the snow flies -- I am committed to THAT! Now the 3xs, those will be lasting awhile!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote