Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-17-2010, 12:59 AM   #1  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Default Elimination Diet: Day 1 starts tomorrow....

All rightie... so... my elimination diet to try and help me figure out what my food allergy is starts tomorrow. I will be eliminating:

- All refined sugars and artificial sugars, no matter what it's in... this'll be interesting... (just because... last time I did this, it worked for a week... and it was EXTREMELY hard to find stuff... and that was in HOUSTON... not this tiny lil' town)

- All dairy products. (this one might actually be genetic, my dad became lactose intolerant around my age... so... I dunno)

And avoiding strong spices (though not eliminating them completely unless the other two don't end the issues)... just because they do make me have light heartburn (I think) and cause me to want to throw up. Bland food tastes the best to me... my perfume can barely be smelled it's so light... So yeah... that's a little more of personal preference on that one.

This will be for 3 weeks, and if I've improved and am symptom-free, then I slowly add in one or another to see what the issue is. If I'm not symptom-free, I will look back at my food diary (which I will work on keeping up with), and see what I have eaten in the past three weeks that could still keep triggering the symptoms. So yeah...

And I'm going to be attempting to keep my calorie count above 1200, and below 1600. Within a healthy dieting range for me.

So yeah... wish me luck! I also have to go to the school and try and figure out my schedule... start running again, etc... a lot of things.

Oh... and do y'all think I'm going about this the right way? I thought I read through the whole link I was given and understood the concept... so yeah... just let me know your thoughts... I don't want to do something wrong and mess myself up even more...
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I think unless you eliminate most grains you may miss out on other things you react to. If you want to do an elimination diet, you need to eliminate more things, but only temporarily, like 48 hours.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #3  

The thing is... I'm only eliminating the things I've found in the past that are the most likely to have caused me the most trouble... and those are refined sugars and dairy stuff...

I just don't eat that many things with grain in it... and I thought that most of the allergies that occurred at this age had to due with things you were highly exposed to... at least... that's how it tends to work in the dog and cat world...

I dunno... by eliminating more things... what all do I need to eliminate? I only found a couple things (like sugars, dairy, and some grains) on the link given to me...

I'm just new to things like this. I went on one before (no results, there were other symptoms, and it turns out that those symptoms were related to a chronic urticaria issue with heat, but I was also 10 at the time, so I don't remember that much about it), and it was all potatoes... nothing else... so yeah. So I'm not quite sure what to do with them...
Old 08-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Maybe an allergist (M.D.) could give you a regimen to follow, so you wouldn't just be trying things on your own?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:02 AM   #5  

The thing is... I'm not wanting to do this through a doctor, since none of the symptoms are life-threatening or annoying to the point where I'm in physical danger in any way... and since I live out in the middle of nowhere, I'd have to travel upwards of 2+ hours to find someone who is covered by my insurance... so yeah. Not wanting to go through a doctor... so I'm just kinda doing it on my own... just eliminating things I think could be causing stuff, and seeing if that helps, and if not, try eliminating a few other things that could be causing it... and if that still doesn't work... then go see a doctor...

But... I do want to make sure I'm eliminating things correctly...
Old 08-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
But... I do want to make sure I'm eliminating things correctly...
And so instead of seeing a doctor, you ask an internet forum...

Because of your other conditions, notably the urticaria, I would still suggest that you should have a doctor's supervision. Otherwise you're just kinda screwing around... Sorry to blunt!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #7  

I do understand your point. However, a doctor is out. Too much difficulty in trying to get in to see one.

My urticaria is completely and utterly unrelated. I was tested for that in the past, and that is not causing my current stomach issues.

I don't see what the problem is with me cutting out all sugars and dairy products... I would have thought that, even if it didn't end my symptoms (in which case I would attempt to go see a doctor and try and figure out a bit more), it's still healthier that just eating the same way I do now.