Old 08-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #1  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

Default Coming off a hiatus, "resetting" calorie level

So I started my journey in January and lost pretty steadily until the beginning of June (about 50 lbs, so roughly 10 lbs/month).

I have summers off, so did a lot of slacking off...didn't count regularly, overate on some trips and didn't do a whole lot of "formal" exercise (though I was, in general, quite active most days.) Luckily, I still managed to lose another 6 lbs or so. A much slower loss, of course, but considering what I was doing, I am actually quite pleased that I kept it going in the right direction.

Anyway...now that I'm back at work, I'm going back fully OP. I'm just wondering where to start my calories at since I'm essentially "starting over."

Before I went on summer break, I was shooting for about 1,450 cals/day. Over the summer I figured I must have been averaging a little below maitenence, so somewhere under 2,400.

Going from 2,400 down to 1,450 again seems kind of drastic since I've gotten used to more calories again. I'm thinking maybe I should shoot for about 1,700 for now and lower it from there? Or should I just bite the bullet and go back to 1450?

Anyone else kind of take a break and then got back on the horse? If so, what was your strategy?

Thanks!
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #2  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Northern-
taking abreak and eating at "maintenance" for such an extended period of time is GREAT for you!
most people dont realize it/choose not to, but you have given your fat loss efforts an incredible boost. After dieting down for so long (6 months?) your metabolism had adapted, your hormones got out of whack, etc.....taking an extended break gave your body a chance to "reset". Your body should be primed for fat loss at this point. I would ease into it. See ifyou CAN lose at 1700 or 1600. you can always drop from there.
i was forced last winter to take an extended break, and it was the best gift i could have given myself! i was maintaing at that point (trying to lose, but no such luck) at 1200 a day!! Now i can maintain in the 2000 range.
good luck
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #3  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the feedback!

I think taking a break was good too. I was actually quite amazed at how much my metabolism has improved since I first started...i.e., pigging out in Vegas for 5 days but being DOWN a pound just a week later...wow! I also have a pretty good idea as to how much I can eat before I start gaining. I know that will look different when I get to goal as I still have a lot more to lose, but at least I have an idea

I did 1700 yesterday and I think that's where I will start for now. I was pretty hungry when I got home from work, so I think eating any less would not be good for me (or the people I work with!) as I adjust back into my routine.

As you and others have said, it's much easier to start higher and cut rather than start low and have nowwhere to go!
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote