Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #1  

Default To tell coworkers or not?

I am undecided about whether to tell my coworkers about my surgery or not. On one hand it is none of their business. But I know there will be a lot of questions about how I am loosing so much weight and why I am not eating very much, especially since there is always so many treats around here at work. I am sure there will be much speculation and gossip. I will probably tell my friends (outside of work) though. How have all of you dealt with your noticable weight loss at work? Thanks!

Last edited by happ; 08-13-2010 at 04:16 PM.
happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:10 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

remember first and foremost: it's none of their business. but we all know how coworkers are - some are friends, others are just nosy, and some are nasty. i was very up front about my surgery, but since i had been completely bedridden beforehand, everyone was very happy that i was up and around and healthy.

some people simply say 'oh i'm just eating healthier' or 'getting more exercise' or whatever.

the one caveat, though, is that because some of us lose weight very quickly and dramatically, there may be some talk that you've developed cancer or AIDS. or some other fatal disease.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:31 AM   #3  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

**** I tell EVERYONE, anyone brings up food or protein and I will admit I had the surgery, I am proud of what I am doing, but then I work at home so I dont have to deal with noisy parkers at work.
my friends all know and someday I will scan and post the pages of my sketchbook they all signed the day before my surgery with good luck messages, I find having friends at least who know helps keep me on track
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Telling everyone can bite you in the end. Seems people expect things of you and watch every morsel you put in your mouth.

I'd think twice about telling co workers or anyone else you simply don't know well enough like your family.

But thats JMHO

I am glad I didn't tell anyone

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #5  
fabulous by 40

S/C/G: 240

Height: 5'04

I told my co-workers and they actually were a great help in the beginning. Some watch me like a hawk, others are just bitter, but most give me so much support that it was all worth it.
sindurella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I tell EVERYONE. I'm very open and honest about the whole thing. I had my surgery almost a year and a half ago now, I have never had anyone "food police" me - they all know I'm strong, independent, and intelligent enough to know what I'm doing. I have had a few people ask me when I'm eating certain types of foods if that will bother me later (since most people don't know the difference between RNY gastric bypass and the DS, they assume I will have dumping), but I just use it as an opportunity to educate that (a) not everyone with gastric bypass experiences dumping, and (b) I had a different procedure that doesn't have that particular potential side effect.

Sure, it's technically none of their business, but I like sharing my experience. And it's amazing how much I've learned FROM my coworkers and others once I opened up - stories about a friend or family member who was considering WLS and might want to talk to me, coworkers with type 2 diabetes that I didn't know about previously, coworkers with questions about nutritional issues that I'm now well-versed in...it's not all just about the weight loss.

But, it depends on your own personality. When someone comes over to me and comments that I'm looking great and to keep doing whatever I'm doing, I can't help but want to share the true reason for my success. I've never been very good at accepting a compliment, so I have to have this other thing ("the surgery") to attribute my success to.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote