Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/290/150

Height: 5'6"

Default OAS and allergies

Does anybody else have OAS (oral allergy syndrome)? I have BAD allergies and am allergic to peanuts. I also found out that I have OAS which is why I always avoided fresh fruites/veggies (they made my mouth itch/burn) but can eat cooked veggies/fruits. This pushed me into the dairy and fresh breads food group for a long time. I love cheese, milk, yogurt, cream, bread, cheesecake, ice cream, etc. Now that I'm trying to change that I find it difficult to eat healthy food. It's a PITA to have to cook veggies/fruits before eating them and if I don't have my dairy item I still feel hungry (I'm thinking this may be mental).

Would love some advice and inspiration from those who have made it work!

Thanks
Pink Pretty Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I don't have your issue, but what about just steaming the veggies very lightly; for a few minutes only ... worth a try. And be sure to try out some new veggies and fruits becuz you may find some that don't bother you at all ie zucchini, cukes, pea pods, cherries, blueberries, watermelon, broccoli, winter squashes, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, corn, peas, carrots, different lettuces, cabbages, mushrooms, etc. Cabbage is nice lightly sauteed with a bit of seasoning. Many of the ones I mentioned above, are very mild in flavor, not harsh or stringent (tart) in any way.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/290/230

Height: 6'0

Default I feel your pain.

I am pretty much allergic to everything, and have been all my life. Any uncooked fruit or vegetables, nuts, peanuts(they are beans, not nuts), dust, grass, pollens, most furred animals, as well as having reccuring stomach ulcers which eliminate alot of other foods. I have know that I had a protein allergy for about a year now, but I hadnt heared of it being reffered to as oas until today. So far, what I have found out is that food that have been frozen, processed or heated can work. I didnt try freezing the foods so that may open some doors for me. I also found out that taking two teaspoons of natural local honey can build immunity to the pollens that your body mistakes the proteins for, and given time you may be able to eat the foods you couldnt before. This does not always work and can trigger allergic reactions, but to be able to eat my first salad ever would be well worth the risk.

Personally, I would not try either without having time to get to a hospital if needed, as these reactions can be severe.

I do hope this helps, as I know how hard it is to diet on meat, dairy and carbs.
derickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

you might find an atkins type of diet more manageable. You can eat dairy, and steaming and cooking veggies is fine. Fruit is usually not on offer to a great degree. You must avoid the grains, but after induction you can add pulses back (beans and lentils) if they agree with you.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote