Old 08-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #1  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Default I just feel...stalled. Could use some encouragement.

I don't know what's wrong with me. I've been losing weight the tried and true way (diet + exercise, about 2 lbs a week) and it's been going good. I've gone from 225 to 206. I was going to the gym 3-4 times a week and eating well.

And then in the last week, I just feel completely apathetic. I'm eating things I shouldn't. I know before I ever stick it in my mouth I shouldn't do it. It's not that I'm eating a lot, but rather eating stuff that isn't good for me. Like today for lunch I had a lean buffalo burger (no cheese) on whole wheat which was good-- and then I popped open a can of mixed fruit in heavy HFCS. Why would I do that? I know that's not good for me. And I immediately felt physically crappy after that.

For the last 4 days, I haven't wanted to go to the gym, and I'm tired and my stomach is upset. I feel blue, but I don't suffer from clinical depression and I have no reason to be depressed. I was fine last week. Nothing has changed...I just feel blah. I was excited about my weight loss, and now I feel like I don't care. This is very sudden, and it's scaring me. I feel overwhelmed.

I could sure use some encouragement. What works for you when you hit a mental slump? What do you tell yourself? How do you motivate yourself? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #2  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

I have a book that I created that has all kinds of motivating things in it. I also listen to music because music for me is so important. It's like my mood stabilizer or something, I don't know. All I can say is that we all go through this, I felt this way late last year and earlier this year, but that was due to some horrendous life experiences. But eventually we pull it together and go on with this thing because face it, we are all sick of how we look and feel, so the only thing to do is go on.
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

Thanks, Devsmama. I should do something like that...come up with a book of encouraging photos and sayings and stuff. I love music also- listening to my iPod is often what gets me through a grueling workout.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #4  
Bear Down..Lost 38 in '10

S/C/G: 260.0/219.4/113.0

Height: 5'

I was feeling a bit like that all of July. I had some added stress, but I just did things I knew I shouldn't have done. Like...have BBQ potato chips. I couldn't stop and I ate almost the whole bag. Also felt like crap after wards. What I did that got me out of my funk and back on track. I made myself sit down and plan out my week. I stuck to the plan and lost 3.6 pounds that week. Maybe just writing it down would help you too? Smiles!
gottadoit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 8"

EagleRiver - How about going for a walk while listening to your Ipod? Or maybe a nice warm bath. It sounds like you need some pampering. (((hugs)))
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/237/180

Height: 5'11

Hi I am so glad that you posted this (not glad that you are going through this) because i am feeling the exact same way, have been for the last two weeks i have no desire to do any exercise at all and eating loads of things that are no good for me its horrible, its only pure luck that i havent put any weight on but i also havent lost any, i have just decided that enough is enough and im starting back into everything tomorrow, hope you get over feeling like this soon, and know that it happens to other people too x
Kittykat Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/177/135

Height: 5'4"

Uggh...I've been feeling the same way. Allergies have ben getting the best of me, and eating some things I shouldn't put me in a funk for the last couple days. Today, i looked at my inspiration board, and stopped in here, as it always gets me going. About ready now to go through on some workout clothes and head to the gym. Got back to eating better today too, which I also think helped a ton. Good luck.
kaygee41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #8  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

I think that on journeys like this things like that happen and you need not let yourself get all worked up. This journey is also a learning experience never lose site of that! I like inspirational quotes they are a huge part of my motivation and in fact I have a section on my diet blog just for that purpose. I am always looking up quotes to add to my blog. Be proud of what you have accomplished so far and pick up the pieces and keep moving forward. You have already taken the first step by realizing the problem and admitting it. Ease yourself back into working out. You can start with 20 mins per day. Good luck and dont give up we all can do this!
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:06 AM   #9  
Here to Learn

Thanks everyone. It did help- I went to the gym tonight and did an hour of resistance training and then came home and ate a reasonable portion of baked chicken and sauteed cabbage. And a handful of Goji berries for dessert. I'm going to use some of your ideas and try and come up with a scrapbook or something that has quotes, pictures, whatever to try and motivate myself. I still don't know why I feel so blah, but I guess it could be the weather. It's rained every day for 2-1/2 months...maybe that's part of it.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 252/198/140

Height: 5'5

I am sure all that rain did not help!
Sorry you are feeling this way. I do think we all go through this at one point or another. I have a collage of pictures specifically ones I never want to look like again! It helps me too when I am really feeling like I am wasting my time or not losing quick enough to put on my largest pair of pants I was ever in.
I think physically seeing what I have the potential to be again always snaps me back into reality somehow.
Music can be very motivating too! I am glad you go back into the gym!
Good luck and if you need anything we are all in this together! remember slow and steady wins the healthy race!

http://tryn2bfit224.blogspot.com/
tryn2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 225.6/215.2/150

Height: 5'4

I feel blah these days too and have lost my momentum. It is so easy to turn to food for comfort when I feel this way...and I have to admit that I have done just that. My foot is bothering me so I can't do my regular running - which was a great stress reliever for me...so the stress builds and I end up eating what I shouldn't. Chocolate gives me instant relief to stress it seems. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I understand 100% what you are going through. Hope your mood picks up and I'm sure that if you stick with your plan you will continue to feel better as you shed the pounds. Keep strong and keep up the great work. I will try to do the same.
Take care.
Chippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 225/163/145

When I feel like that, I go online and look at all the cute clothes that I want to fit in, I think about my children and how I want to be there and have energy to do things with them, I think about feeling beautiful and that helps to motivate me. I love to dance too, and normally I can't dance for long periods of time because I'm so heavy, I get out of breath, my legs hurt and that bothers me.

I do know how you feel and that is partially why I have been bouncing since starting my weight loss regimen in June, i have not been able to go down past 213 because whenever I reach there I start to over-compensate and eat crap which puts me back up to like 215, 216 and then I just end up having to lose those extra 3-4 lbs all over again. It's like taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back and it is very frustrating. That's when I have decided join this forum for extra support and motivation - hope it helps you move along to your goal weight too!
ghlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #13  
Here to Learn

Well I had a setback yesterday. I planned to go to the gym after work, instead my Dad called me desperate for help because he got malware on his computer. I'm not a computer professional, but my parents have always had me fix their computer. He wanted me to rush right over, so I didn't go to the gym. I ended up staying at their house trying to fix this PC until 8:45. By that point I was hungry so I stopped at the store...ugh- and bought a pizza. About 900 calories I scarfed in one sitting.

So my goal today is to get back on this weight loss program and eat healthy and in proper portions.

Thanks again for everyone's responses. It is good to know that I'm not the only one and that there are coping mechanisms.