General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #1  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

Default Dairy Free, Gluten Free...Oh My!

I've ALWAYS had digestion problems, and until recently I didn't really know what was the cause (my family was very anti doctors growing up), obviously I knew that eating this or that made me feel crappy ect.

Well, after much thought I went to see someone and they suggested I cut out dairy and gluten from my diet and go from there (after a month or two they said we could think about "testing the waters" and see what specific foods cause problems).

Anyone else out there following a similar plan that have some recommendations for healthy balanced meals?
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #2  

Yes, I eat Vegan and dairy free as well as gluten free. At first it was overwhelming...especially when I was told I had a sensitivity to eggs. That is when I just went all the way with being vegan.

It is not too hard now that I have been at it a while. There are alternatives for dairy...for instance, I use coconut yogurt, or soy. I like the flavor of the coconut MUCH better than the soy though. Most health food stores carry it. Not sure if its available in Canada though... The same brand that makes the yogurt makes a coconut kefir that I use in place of buttermilk. For milk, I use almond milk. Coffee creamer, I usually use the coconut brand one. If you like to use some convenience foods occasionally, Annies makes a good variety of frozen entrees that are dairy and gluten free. You can make breads with gluten free flours that taste pretty good. Check out Amazon for gluten free baking books. Most give dairy free alternatives in the recipes. I have found cheeses made of rice, soy, and even almond. Its kind of hit or miss on taste, but most are ok IN things. I eat a lot of Indian cuisine. When it calls for yogurt, I just substitute a non dairy type, as I mentioned above. If you eat meat, you have all kinds of options. You will just have to watch the ingredients in things you use...like soy sauce has wheat in it, so you have to find a wheat free variety. Any sauces containing soy sauce will also have wheat, so you make have to do a bit more scratch cooking. I usually eat a lot of veggies and beans, and I use organic corn and basmati rice for my starches.

I hope that all was helpful!

Last edited by Ellen; 08-10-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #3  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I'm in the same boat

A lot has improved since going gluten free in April, but I haven't cut out dairy yet. I'm not sure if I can and as my issues have greatly improved it's not a big thing for me right now. I just love eggs and cheese too much haha

I suggest you check out celiac.com, they have a lot of information on living gluten free. It's more complicated then cutting out 'bread and beer' as my doctor told me, and there is a lot of misinformation out there. They also have a forum as well.

I have a gluten intolerance, but I am not allergic too it. My symptoms were constant bloat, diarhea and nauseua daily. My friend is allergic and he throws up as well.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote