Old 08-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/295/160

Height: 5'8

Default Eating WAY to few calories

So, I posted this on another area of the site, but I decided to bring it over here instead. I feel like since I'm going to be calorie counting (and since this deals with caloric intake) that you guys might be able to help me out. Also, I'd just like to go ahead and get myself settled in here since I wandered away from 3FC and now I'm back!!

I've gotten myself into a horribly bad habit of eating only once a day. Its not because I want to "starve myself" or because I think it will make me lose weight.... but it started because I was a busy college student, working two jobs (now working no jobs ), going to therapy twice a week, and managing a long distance relationship... sometimes I just /forgot/ to eat.

Now, to top it all off, I've recently been put on two medications that pretty much make my desire for food next to nothing (Adderall and Topamax) so I have to REALLY make a conscious effort to even REMEMBER the first meal, and proceed to force it into my face because the thought of food is disgusting (thank you adderall).

Now, I know this is horrible for my metabolism and for my health in general. I know I should eat 5-6 meals a day. I know that part of my weight problem is probably because I've been eating one small meal a day (about 70% of the time if not more) for about a year now.

I guess my question is, do you have any suggestions to help me try and even out my eating schedule again? I really am at a loss for what to do, I know its a huge issue, but I literally just don't even think to eat, and my body doesn't remind me. HALP!

BTW: I know this is not my only issue. I also eat crap food at other times, and I don't exercise like I should, etc. So yes, not my only issue and obviously not the only reason I'm overweight, but I feel as though its contributing to my overall poor health and bad lifestyle.
TheActress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #2  
cb1

S/C/G: 220/220/120

Height: 5'6

If you don't feel like eating, do you feel like drinking stuff? You could make a healthy smoothie and sip on that all morning (fruits, veggies etc). That's one way to get some calories in without chewing. lol. there's protein shakes too.

What's your schedule like? Do you have a kitchen you go through in the morning? You could put up a huge sign saying "EAT SOMETHING! - A banana - a smoothie - a hard boiled egg - anything!" Maybe have small snacks that are only one or two bites around.... carrots, slices of cucumber, small cubes of cheese, precooked strips of chicken breast or half slices of roast beef... something you can grab and eat quickly throughout the day without having to sit down to a huge amount of food and feel like "i have to eat all this..." instead just eat two bites, and the calories will add up and boost your metabolism. So if you can't stand the thought of a meal... a bite here and there would be helpful throughout the day. maybe have a tray of food in the fridge and every time you go through the kitchen you have to eat a bite of what's in there.

Maybe make a list of your favorite foods and figure out how you can work a favorite food into your daily schedule.

Also I'd talk to the doctor and see if there's possibly an alternative medication etc that won't have these side effects, or something else you can do to avoid this side effect.
cb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/295/160

Height: 5'8

I've got a SUPER early class in the morning and have all summer (it starts at 8, which means up by 7 and out the door by 7:30... thats early for me. 7am and I haven't been acquainted since highschool) and it lasts till 11:30. Home by 12. And then I'm just totally not thinking about food.

I think a sign is a REALLY good idea. I used posters on walls, post it notes on the mirror, and flash cards in my wallet when I was doing some stuff in therapy, so why not use it for food and lifestyle changes with diet! I totally didn't put two and two together.

Another thing I'm worried about is the increase in calories. I've been taking in so few calories for so long I'm afraid that bumping up my calories will actually cause a gain. You think there's any validity in that fear? I know it will be beneficial and much healthier in the long run, but I know if I see a gain in the beginning I will get really put off and discouraged.
TheActress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #4  
cb1

S/C/G: 220/220/120

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheActress View Post
Another thing I'm worried about is the increase in calories. I've been taking in so few calories for so long I'm afraid that bumping up my calories will actually cause a gain. You think there's any validity in that fear? I know it will be beneficial and much healthier in the long run, but I know if I see a gain in the beginning I will get really put off and discouraged.

I'm not an expert but, if you have been starving yourself you have to get out of starvation mode to lose anything? So if you bump up calories your body might grab onto them in a panic, but give it time. The more you eat the more you will boost your metabolism long term. i get disappointed by small gains as well, but I find that they are temporary (water weight etc.) If you gain a few pounds but end up losing TONS down the road, isn't that worth it? You'll have more energy and be happier, too. If you do get discouraged... come to 3FC, get some support and push through... if I up and quit every time I got discouraged, well... I wouldn't get very far. It's not all sunshine and daisies, but remind yourself you are after long-term results and not a quick fix.
cb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 227/*see ticker*/130

Height: 5'7

Try not to let yourself to get discouraged if you gain some weight. Don't see the number on the scale go up and say "Well screw this, it's not even worth it." Your body is going to store anything it gets because it's probably deprived of what it needs and when you do get food in there, it's gonna go in shock.

A few pounds gain in the beginning is nothing to worry about when you're on the road to a successful and healthy lifestyle. The end of the journey will be so worth it
kaylamparker is offline   Reply With Quote