Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #1  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Default Update, and question involving allergy/intolerance testing diets...

OK... I'm back... for now. I'm still in Serbia, and I've kind of given it up for now... but am going to be back at with a fervor as soon as I get back to the USA August 17th.

My urticaria has been really bad lately, I mean... to the point where I'm walking around for ten minutes outside and I'm itching all over and in five more minutes I feel like I'm about to faint or throw up.

So.... exercise hasn't been a priority for me... which could be why it's gotten so bad.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions for a diet type plan for food allergy/intolerance testing? My Dad thinks that I might be slightly lactose intolerant, because what happened to him when he was my age is happening to me. MAJOR stomach pains, diahrrea, and even vomiting a couple hours after eating something like a milky type chocolate bar or ice cream. Maybe it's the mix of sugar and milk... I dunno. All I know is that it's not fun... and I can't keep downing pepto everytime something like this happens. It's not a bug... I'm not sick... and it happens, and then it's gone. And looking back... sounds like it happens every time I have a lot of a dairy product.

So... last time I went on something like this (to try and figure out what was causing the urticaria), it was all potatoes for like a month.

But... I don't know. I'm not doing this through a doctor, and I'm not doing a major full out type thing because anything I have is very mild (comparitively at least), so yeah. I'm going to be writing down exactly what I eat every day, and how I physically felt that day... so that'll hopefully lend a hand... but... should I do some kind of cleanse or something beforehand? Like, only raw foods or something (not raw meat of course...)? Or... what? Just wanting some advice from people who have done this themselves... I'm sick and tired of all my stomach issues. They're not bad enough to go see a doctor about... but I'd like them to stop.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'd recommend an elimination diet and then slowly add things back one at a time.

Here is a good overview:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=diet&dbid=7

And here are the recommended foods to eliminate (also on that page)
Standard elimination diets eliminate the most common allergens, such as wheat, soy, corn, dairy, eggs, gluten, nuts, citrus, fish, chocolate, and shellfish, caffeine, alcohol, and artificial food additives. More restrictive Elimination Diets remove all of the foods previously listed plus those foods that contain salicylates and amines.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #3  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Sorry to hear you are having a such a hard time. As for the urticaria, are you taking any kind of allergy remedies? I mentioned before that I used to suffer from it as well but I grew out of it as a teen. I only thing that really helped me was a 24 allergy pill containing loratadine such as non drowsy Claratin or a generic brand. as for the food allergies, I agree with nelie. Slowly introducing common foods a few days apart and noting symptoms would be your best bet. I honestly would be going in for simple allergy tests if it were myself but I understand you are out of country right now. I wish you the best
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:53 AM   #4  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

The allergy/intolerance testing type thing isn't connected to the urticaria. Heat/sweat is what causes that... and despite it being bad... there's not too much I can do for it except maybe take a daily antihistimanine (which I'd really hate to do... so I don't... ). But I'm having other issues, like heartburn after sugary stuff (I think), and other stomach/digestive issues... so yeah. Not connected to the urticaria... wished it was.

Thanks nelie!!
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #5  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

the easiest elimination diet usually involves a less common protein food, (often lamb, but turkey is fine too) sea salt, water and a starch like brown rice, and some olive oil for cooking. Nothing else, for at least 48 hours. If you have no symptoms during that time, you add foods back. If you have symptoms, you can try a switch, (ie to another meat, another starch) or you can get testing. I am extremely allergic to horses, can't watch my daughter ride in an indoor arena or go into a horse barn. Skin testing can help determine those types of allergies. get well soon
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote