Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #1  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Default Nervous about setting up weight rack

Today I'm starting NRoL4W. I'm excited, the store got the book in for me on Friday and I've read enough to start my first work out.

But oh god, the first thing on the list is doing a barbell squat. The book's very encouraging in how to stop being strangers with the squat rack. I've never set up a weight rack before, and I'm having these horrible visions in my head of putting weights on one side and having the other side flip over or some other random scenario.

And as pathetic as it seems, I know that because I am a woman and the squat rack is in the section mostly dominated by men, they will be watching me. I want to do everything right, I want to prove myself. As sad as it is, if I was guy I know no one would give me a second glance.

Basically, I'm coming out of my comfort zone and leaving the less busy free weights only area for the more crowded and male dominant area with all the weights.

I think I would feel better if some of you could offer some advice and maybe tell me about your first time. I know I'm strong, I know I can do this but it's just nerve racking the first time.

Thanks in advance!
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Just put your weights on and put your weight collars on (so the weights don't fall off) and you should be good to go. What type of squat rack do they have? Are you in a cage or is the rack just to set up the weight and you need to get it back to the rack ?

I actually never used a squat rack in a gym because I used smith machines (which I wouldn't recommend). We use half squat racks now at Crossfit for when we are doing heavy weights but you basically drop the weight on the ground when you are done (don't do this if your gym doesn't encourage this).
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #3  
Losing the baby weight

I've been searching online, and I can find a lot of information on how to do the exercise but no videos on someone actually doing the set up. I've never set up weights before, so I'm worried I'll do something wrong.

It's not the cage style ones, it's the type that you get under it, lift and walk forward a bit and then do your squats.

This is going to sound silly, but do I set up the weights on the bar, then place the bar on the rack? Or will the bar be okay on the rack with me just putting some light weights on?

I feel like such a newbie >.< But this is all for the best. I am thinking of trying the move without weights but just the bar first and then working my way up from there.

BTW, I looked into crossfit in my area, it's very expensive but looks so fun. It's also all the way downtown so I don't know if I'll be able to try it once I'm done this program.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #4  
Just Me

Put the bar on the rack and then load the weights. Do you know how much you can squat right now? An unloaded bar most likely weighs 45 lbs and that may be enough for just starting. You'll want the bar set up so that you have to dip down to stand with the bar on your back. You don't want to have to go on your toes to get the bar off the rack.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #5  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Oh Stephanie, you poor thing. I SO know what this feels like. I wish I could be there to help you through this first time. Because I just so know what that's like. But let me tell you, as scared as you may feel is just how freakin awesome you are going to feel once you make this your own.

I get this anxiety EVERY SINGLE TIME I try a new lift. I've been working out at the same gym for five years and it does get a little easier. Now, I pretty much feel confident to do whatever I please because I have "proven" myself. But that first time, and yep, it is male dominated. But ya know what...once you do it successfully you totally own the floor.

K. Here's my advice.

First, have you done a back squat with a free bar on your back before? If not, I would only use a dowel, or practice with a broom handle at home. Get that form down pat. I'll provide you with some links to study so you can critique your own form best as possible.

Once you feel pretty good about going down and pushing back up through the heels and keeping that chest nice and broad then try it at the gym. I would first use a free bar (an Olympic barbell without any weights attached) That thing alone is 45 pounds and really is enough for the first time. Could you squat more weight. Maybe. But you need to teach your body the proper mechanics first.

Some gyms will also have a lighter weighted free bar, like about 35 pounds. See if you can find one. It will feel significantly lighter when you pick it up.

Here's another secret. Most of those men don't squat correctly anyways. I've watched. Nope, they sure don't. A squat is a beautiful thing, when it's done successfully. When done incorrectly it can make me wince the same as nails on blackboard. And just because they are male they do not intuitively squat better.

Watch the videos, Check out the book Starting Strength from the library by Mark Rippetoe, and check out www.Stumpteous.com for tips as well. Practice at home to feel somewhat confident in your movement and then try it with a free bar.

Something else that I recall during my early squatting sessions, there is a point in which adding more weight made the squat movement "feel better" It's difficult to describe but for me, if it's too light my form gets a little sloppy unless I've already squatted heavier in the session or did proper activation movements prior to the squat. It's kind of like a little extra weight forces me to "sink into the correct form and think" about the movement. Anyway, you'll have your own experiences as well. I'm rambling here. Just take a deep breathe, walk on over there and claim your bar.

Oh, and it wouldn't hurt to get a trainer to help you either. I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2X...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CW...eature=related
http://www.stumptuous.com/
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #6  
Losing the baby weight

Thanks so much guys!

Sometimes I wish you all were in my gym instead of just online. I wish I had another strong female friend to do this with so we could learn together. Unfortunately all my female friends are "poo pooing" the idea of a woman lifting weights (yet I'm the one getting compliments on how I look).

I've actually been practicing infront of this mirror I have to get my form down, I didn't think of trying it with a broom though so that's a good idea! I want to make sure I can support it properlly and pull off the move.

I was looking into a trainer, but it's far too expensive for me at this time. We're trying to save money so we can move North to be closer to my fiance's daughter. I've been learning everything on my own from this site, books, and videos online.

I'm glad I have you guys for support! You've helped clear up a lot. I can't wait to make my place in the weight lifting area! Most of the guys that hang around don't look serious, they just kinda stand around and talk and maybe use a weight machine once in awhile. Maybe I'll show them what a real work out is?

Thanks for the confidence boost guys, it's nice to hear of someone else being nervous who is now so accomplished!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #7  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I have one thing to add- when you load the weights, load one weight per side then add another weight per side. You need to alternate or you can overload the bar on one side and it can tip over. When in doubt, let go of the weight slowly so you can catch it just in case the bar starts to tip. If you have a spotter or workout partner you can load each side simultaneously so it's not a problem.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #8  
Losing the baby weight

That's the scenario I kept picturing, that I would put on something light like a 10 pound weight on one side and the whole thing would flip and smash into the huge mirrored walls, haha.

I wish I had a work out partner, maybe as my looks and health improve my female friends will see how good it is and start lifting with me. A girl can dream can't she?
Old 08-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Oh Stephanie, if it wasn't such a pain in the butt to drive over the Port Mann from here in Langley, I'd totally be there for ya

But really, whereabouts are you training? Have you already joined a gym? I used to go to the Fitness World near Metrotown and hired a trainer, he was a good one. He showed me how to do all that stuff. You don't need a membership, you just pay for a few sessions to get used to the equipment.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

But since you are doing NROLFW anyways, you may want to just start with the empty Olympic bar. You're going to start off doing 2x15 squats which is actually quite difficult with the bar (45lbs). When it comes to the deadlifts, you might want to start off with just the lowest weight plates on each side (ask gym staff for bumper plates if they have it).

If I was in your position, I'd be keen to do Crossfit though! When I lived near Edmonds, I'd hop the skytrain downtown each evening for my POPAT training course (VPD physical exam)
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #11  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieM View Post
That's the scenario I kept picturing, that I would put on something light like a 10 pound weight on one side and the whole thing would flip and smash into the huge mirrored walls, haha.

I wish I had a work out partner, maybe as my looks and health improve my female friends will see how good it is and start lifting with me. A girl can dream can't she?
LOL- I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry until you start loading the 45's.

Maybe you'll meet another single woman at the gym who also wants a workout buddy. That's kind of what I'm working on. I have her all picked out (she doesn't know it). There's a woman there who is also on a weight loss program and she works out as often as I do and she's nice. I'm just a bit on the shy side so working up to asking if she'd like a workout buddy is hard. I'll do it eventually.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #12  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Stephanie, with bumper plates (rubber plates) you can have a 45 on one side of the bar and nothing on the other side, and it won't flip, as long as the rack is wide (supports out close to the collars), and the bar is centered on the rack. If you just load it one plate this side, one that side, and unload the same way, no worries.

For using the rack, stand facing the rack, trying to rerack the bar when the rack is behind you would be awkward and not too easy on a good day, much less when you're tired. Set the supports so the bar is about at the height of your collar bones, so that when you go to rerack it, you don't have to stand on tiptoes (which you couldn't do anyway with a heavy weight later on). To start, though, keep it lighter as they said, so you can focus on form. After you get your form down, then you can start working a little heavier.

I'll second the crossfit recommendation, if you have one near you!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #13  

Height: 5'11"

I was trying to figure out what Crossfit is, and whether or not we have it in my town (we do!). But it looks like it's really for hard-core people, like serious athletes and cops and firefighters and stuff. Does anyone know if just a regular person who is trying to get fit can go to a Crossfit gym?
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 PM   #14  
Just Me

Yes, Crossfit is definitely for regular people. I'm a regular person along with Cheryl and Mel here who are also Crossfitters (Cheryl was the first among us )

My Crossfit has people of all different fitness levels.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #15  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Windchime, definitely Crossfit is for all fitness levels, ages and abilities. All the exercises are able to be scaled down in weight, reps, or to a simpler but similar movement, so anyone can participate at whatever level they are able to. Our gym also has people of all ages, sizes and fitness levels...plenty of normal humans there, me included.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote