General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 09:38 AM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Thumbs down Prevention Millennium Diet #98, ETC.

This thread is in transition. We have three regular posters, others have come and gone and anyone who wants to jump in is welcome. If you are a lurker and have read the last couple of threads you have noticed that we are all trying new things now. Rather than change the title of the thread when we are so close to #100, we have decided to continue calling it the PMD thread until we do hit 100. Then we'll choose a title that more aptly describes what we are doing in the way of diet. It is a good diet by the way, we have each lost weight on it, but after about 3 years are ready for a change.

Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed
42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine.

Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed
42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine.

go to prevention.com and put diet into the search engine and it will take you to the diet in another click or two

the website gives more details on the diet

Last edited by ledom; 10-14-2002 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-13-2002, 02:01 AM   #2  

Default Wow! 2 more then 100!

Give ourselves a pat!!!

Alice, you are ONE SERIOUS shopper! I like your style girl!!
What a good idea too for Christmas...I know the longer one has been married the harder it is to buy something for one another because pretty much everything has been bought, so you probably did him a BIG favour!!!

Your relationship with your D sounds SOOO nice Ledom! I bet you were (are) a wonderful mom (not like I was ... a self obsessed mom with MY own going to school etc. Which of course now I feel bad about but too late, alas...). I am more help to my D now that she is university than I ever was when she was in grade school. My DH was pretty good though.

Well so far I have been within my point range everyday....(I have no desire to go tell the wonderful Father P. that I am a "GLUTTON"...UGHHHH!!!! WHAT an UGLY word, eh?? ) I even had 3 points left tonight and thought what the heck, it is the weekend have a 4 oz. glass of wine

Your "weight room" sounds great Ledom. My darkroom is turning into a storage room containing the dog carrier, old rugs and the like. It is something I would like to get back doing, printing I mean. It is just that I haven't been thrilled with any photos that I have taken, just all "grab" type shots. I also miss belonging to the photo club that I went to when I was on the mainland. But you sound like you are smoking right along. How do you do it? Teach, photograph, kayak, body build...you are one amazing girl!

Alice, that is very interesting about it being a cold winter...I am not surprised because it seems SO cold here and it way too early to be this cold. I bet your leaves are nice now, eh?

This Tuesday is the feast day of one of my FAVOURITE saints...St. Teresa of Avila, a great mystical writer. Her autobiography is good read for anyone even for those not even remotely interested in religion. I highly recommend to the world out there...one of the two women (that I know about anyway) who is considered a doctor of the church.

Also Monday is the Canadian thanksgiving. The kids are coming with the dog. I am making cabbage rolls and perogies....slavic soul food.

OK, everyone that is all the news in my corner of the world...enjoy your Sunday!
Old 10-13-2002, 04:33 PM   #3  

Angry Good afternoon....

It's been a very rainy day so far, but I'm not complaining in the least bit. Yesterday was a gorgeous typical fall day. Hope you both are enjoying your weekend.

ledom, I'm glad that things are going well with your D. It seems like you both are having good quality time together with your weekly lunches. What a wonderful time you must have had kayaking with a former teacher. His stories sound very interesting, and I'm sure made the trip that much more pleasant. Your 70 deg. weather sounds heavenly. We are in the 50's. Nice sweater weather:sheep: Your weight room sounds really nice. I bet you can't wait until you get all your equipment. I hope that you found some time to develop some of your film. You sound very busy!!!

judi, that's good you are keeping within your point range. Yesterday I went a little overboard, but not too..too..bad, I spent 8 points on wine It tasted really good. Today I am making it up. I made this great 0 point veg. soup which I had for lunch today and I will have it for the rest of the week, and it's a low point dinner tonight. Enjoy your Thanksgiving tomorrow with your family. Lacee gives Marley & Bentley a great big LICK!

Take care and enjoy the rest of the day.

Last edited by aleka; 10-13-2002 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:53 AM   #4  
Chick

Default Good morning,

Hey there. It was a quiet weekend at my house and now it's Mon. morning and I'm thinking of all the things I SHOULD have done. Anyway, judi, I'm busy but many things are skipped. House cleaning at the top of that list.

Happy Holiday to you Judi. And Alice, I guess the summer people are gone today. Enjoy the peace and quiet. My little resort town is hopping this week, we have an annual documentary film festival which has grown quite popular here. I hope to spend some time at the theatre this week.

I hope you all have a good week.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:37 AM   #5  
Chick

Hey girls - what's up? Hope you are enjoying the cool weather. I sure am. Highs in the 60's and sunny this week.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:21 AM   #6  

Angry Good morning,

I had my weigh in earlier this morning. I lost 3/4 lb. I was hoping for a total of 5 lb. loss, but it wasn't to be. Next week for sure (I hope). I seem to be averaging 1 lb. a week, and that's ok. At least it's coming off.

It was around 27 deg. this morning BRRRRR. I had frost on my windshield when I went out. It's only supposed to be in the 50's today, but it has away to go before it hits 50. Tomorrow they are saying we are to get a regular Nor'easter with wind swept rain.

Yes, ledom, the summer people have gone.

We will have the leaf peepers next, but they are just usually driving through. It is nice and quiet though.
That film festival sounds fun. I hope you get to enjoy it.

How was your Thanksgiving, judi? Hope you all had a great time.

Take care and have a great day.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:59 PM   #7  

Default Tuesday night!

Alice, that is a good weight loss... A pat on the back for you!

Well, I am IN my point range after thansgiving ONLY because I borrowed from two days in advance...I hate doing that because what happens is I starve on those days...like tonight...no supper, just a diet pepsi. But I really don't want to go over the weeks total as you know. On thanksgiving I wanted to have chocolate and well those points have to come from somewhere Thanksgiving was nice.

Ooooh a documentary film festival...that is what I would like.

Today is very bright and warm, almost like summer.

How are you doing without Cokes Ledom?

8 points on wine, hmmmm...that is what I could use right now. But I will forgo It was one of those "Prozac" type of days.

Gosh tomorrow is midweek already...have a good Wednesday all!
Old 10-15-2002, 11:21 PM   #8  
Chick

Default Hey there,

judi - I'm over diet coke. Today I was thinking about telling my friend/boss that I had quit drinking D.C., but something held me back. I guess I just didn't want to make a big deal about it, but 2 1/2 weeks diet coke free. A plus, I have about $10 left in my purse at the end of the week that I wouldn't have otherwise because I am not hitting the vending machine during the day.

The more I read about the BFL lifestyle the more interesting it gets. People say that around the 10th to 12th week of the challenge is when you can expect to see a noticeable difference. I am still feeling patient with it. I am not dropping a lot of lbs., I am getting stronger and I think I notice having more energy as well.

Alice - 1/2 is a good loss, especially following a week when you lost 2 1/2 if I remember correctly.

I wore my new leather jacket today and love it as much as I thought I did when I bought it.

Well, time to get some rest.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:12 AM   #9  

Angry Good morning,

DH & I are off on a trip to Vermont in a little while, but wanted to say "Hi"!

ledom, YAY for you on the DC That's quite an accomplishment.
I'm glad that the BFL is still going great for you. I'm sure the reason you haven't lost a lot of lbs. is that your building muscle. How is the pant o meter?

judi, we were told that if you don't use all your banked points within a week, and you are allowed up to 10 banked points per week, anything over that you lose. Sorry you had to borrow some points, but I would think it was worth it, as it was something very special. When I have gone way over my points, the next day I eat very light, having low point meals. I have made a 0 point soup that I have a lot with a few low fat crackers...1 pt. for 6 crackers. You must be starving only having diet coke. Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Well...it's getting late...Miz Lacee knows she's going for a ride and she's The "boss" has spoken...so to speak.

Take care and enjoy the day.

Last edited by aleka; 10-16-2002 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:03 PM   #10  
Chick

Default Hey girls,

judi, I wish you were here to see the film festival. I have been enjoying it, not getting to spend as much time at it as I would like. But enough to really be enjoying it.

Alice, hope you have a good trip today.

The pantometer is fine though I'll be happy when I see them looser. BUT, let me say this - I definitely feel my body composition changing. I see glimpses of muscle not there before and I am revved. I know this is going to work. I am finding it really easy to stick with the food plan, if anything I have trouble getting it all in. There is no hunger and the concept of free day is very liberating. All in all I am happy, I think patience is the key here. It does take a major commitment to adopt a new lifestyle for anyone that might be considering this plan. Oh, back to the pantometer. I was getting where there were certain things in my closet I just didn't want to put on after a bad few months. Everything still fastening, but not hanging well - the biggest difference I see is that things are beginning to feel more comfortable. Nothing falliing off me yet though. I am in the middle of the 3rd of 12 weeks of my challenge now.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:05 AM   #11  

Angry A good day to you both.....

Had a great trip to Vt yesterday. The color was very beautiful. We saw the most awe inspiring sight. We were coming out of one place and we saw hundreds of geese flying north, I think they were heading in your direction, judi, there must have been 4 or 5 formations. The air was so still, and all you could hear were the geese. I have never seen anything like it, and I probably will never see it again, although I hope I do sometime.

ledom, that's wonderful you are so enthusiastic about BFL. It's very motivating to see your body changing. Keep up the good work. Your pants will be hanging on you soon.

I was just thinking, how we all were in a slump in the dieting dept. and how something "clicked" in each of us around the same time. I guess great minds do think alike

judi, hope you are having a good week.

Have a great day.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:02 AM   #12  
Chick

Default Good morning,

Alice, that is so cool about the geese. I just love stuff like that.

judi, DH must be keeping you busy now that he's home - we haven't heard from you in a couple of days.

I'll be doing a 2 hr. drive today and hope to see some pretty scenery. The leaves are just starting to change and it is brilliant sunny, cold day. I'm looking forward to it.

Oh yeah, the cats are so frisky now. They have been wrestliing and running through the house like wild animals. They like the cool weather too.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:19 AM   #13  

Default Itsa me...finally

Hi! We unexpectedly have to leave a week early on our Ca. trip so I have been washing and packing stuff for the bus. Wheww! We are leaving tomorrow. Then today I went and saw the dr., the dentist and had a flu shot...sheesh, upkeep..boring but essential.

Your trip to Vermont sounded lovely Alice. I love seeing the geese too. When I was growing up they would fly over in an enormous V, honking away it was SO cool. I don't see them in big groups like that here, in BC they fly over in smaller groups and some hang around all year in the parks. But I grew up in Saskatchewan and I guess they came from way up north. It was always such an event to see them.

It is sunny here, just like summer but I am sure it will change so it will be good to be going to the US.

Glad you are enjoying your new jacket Ledom...it is so nice to find something that is just "You" isn't it??? Right now I have a black Irish wool and cashmere walking cape that I love. I bought it last year from "Signals" and didn't wear until this year.

Good for you on the BFL Ledom. It sounds exciting! You are over Coke...now that is both an accomplishment and an austerity...good for you.

How is point counting going Alice? It is good I think because it lets one eat whatever and so there is no reason to feel deprived. Like today, I was just in that fast food frame of mind and had a veggie burger, small fries and egg mcmuffin sans meat all from McDonalds...it was great. Of course, it meant tonight all I had for supper were two small V-8 juices.

I bought a scale for the RV so I won't get lax. Going to weigh tomorrow.

Yes, it is kind of neat how things all clicked for all 3 of us at the same time. I agree, it has to be that "great mind" thing, no doubt about it.

I will email you from the road And a big smooch to all the pets...Marley stinks like a ferret, (no disprespect to ferret owners...Charles Dickens said it first about someone's baby) I hope the DH is going to wash him before he goes on the trip...I don't like the thought of him snuggling under the covers with me...Marley, not the DH!
Old 10-18-2002, 06:34 AM   #14  

Angry Good morning,

judi, have a great time in Ca. How long will you be gone? Hope to hear from you while you're gone. Also hope Marley got his bath Yes, I think point counting is good. The WOE I was on previously, I had to give up certain foods, and when I started counting points, I was like a kid in a candy store eating the once forbidden food. I do have to stop eating certain things, like processed foods, and go back to following my old program very loosely....eating real food again and not eating so many carbs. How did your weigh in go?

How was your road trip, ledom? Do you have much color? The color is rather spotty here. Some areas have fantastic colors, while other areas are still mostly green. I think our lack of rain and the warmer than normal temps. are to blame.

My GF & I had our weekly lunch date. After lunch we went to the movies and saw "Sweet Home Alabama". It was awfully good. I had seen the previews on TV and wasn't sure what to expect. But, both of us thorougly enjoyed it.

Take care and have a good day.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:09 AM   #15  
Chick

Default Good morning girls,

Yeah Judi - I hope you can check in. We'll miss you. Have a good trip.

Alice, sounds as if the leaves are about the same down here. My drive was beautiful as I was driving through an unpopulated area. Only regret was that the butterflies seem to be migrating and the water I passed was mirror smooth. It would have been ideal for kayaking. Gotta get out soon!

6:10 and my workout is DONE! That is a great feeling. This morning was upper body. 3 mornings a week I do weights which takes just under an hour and 3 mornings I walk/jog for 20 minutes. No point counting on this diet! I eat lots of food but it is prescribed. A protein and a carb at every meal and veggies any meal I want them. It is very much routine and doesn't leave room for treats except blessed FREE DAY!

I'm having people over for dinner tomorrow. I made chili last night to serve. Lots of housework needs to be done between now and then.

D went to see Sweet Home Alabama yesterday too!
Closed Thread