Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-07-2010, 11:52 PM   #1  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Default The Truth About Videos Vs Gym...

Is it REALLY possible to do videos like WATP with a healthy eating plan and lose weight?
For some reason I just always tell myself I have to be outside running or at a gym working out to really lose weight. That these in home workouts are just a waste of time...why do I have this mindset?
I know that I will have to bump up intensity when the videos start getting easier, but right now they really kick my butt...
Any input?
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:01 AM   #2  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Height: 5'6"

Before I got pregnant with my second son, I lost 34 lbs using workout videos and eating right. I loved the videos because there was so many to choose from, and doing something at home was great because I could fit it into my schedule at any time and there was no one around to see me sweating and looking like an *** except my oldest son. I think they definitely work. If you have cable, check out OnDemand for exercise videos!
dudesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #3  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

I think it's because we're comfortable in our own home. That's it's not really "Real" workouts untill we're out of our comfort zone.
I used to feel this way too, then I figured the vid's didn't do much because I wasn't trying hard enough in my home. There was no one around... I wasn't paying for a class at the gym.
Do you have a friend or family member who's house you can go to? Try the video there, just once, out of your comfort zone and see if it kick's it up a notch.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:24 AM   #4  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Oh I work out hard...I always try to do the more intense version of the moves. So I know I'm working out as hard as I can. But one thing is, they do boosted walking which is essentially jogging, but that is kind of hard to do properly on carpet. I still might switch between jogging intervals outside...
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:27 AM   #5  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I've lost almost 160 pounds without ever stepping into a gym

ETA: My workouts have mainly consisted of DVDs

Last edited by Onederchic; 08-08-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 252/198/140

Height: 5'5

I do a workout video everyday. And I do go to the gym just to do cardio but in the beginning until I got comfortable going to the gym I did workout videos in my house! On Demand free ones that got me hooked on Jillian Michael's. I love her videos some of them make me work harder than any gym workout!
Experiment until you find one you like or a trainer you prefer and focus on doing those ones. You can do it!

I post lots about workout videos etc on my blog if you ever wanna check it out http://tryn2bfit224.blogspot.com/
tryn2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:20 AM   #7  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

In my opinion, the exercise you'll actually do is the right exercise. I currently only have one at home DVD, it's a WATP and I find it a great work out and a great fall back to have when I can't get to the gym or too darn hot to walk outside.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

I've lost all my weight without stepping foot in a gym. Burning calories is what it's all about in terms of fat loss, then you need to find a way to build muscle at home, too (which is very doable). Good luck!
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Weight loss mostly has to do with what you eat although moving more, however you move and building muscle helps with weight loss. If you aren't eating right, you can go to the gym 2 hours/day and won't lose weight.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/143 - HW: 240

Height: 5'8''

All I do are workout videos and my elliptical. I've only lost 20+lbs this time but I've lost well over 100lbs just doing the videos in past years. You most definitely can lose weight that way! I use a lot of WATP videos, along with some of Jillian Michaels and one of The FIRM dvds.

The videos are going to kick your butt at first...they're supposed to! As they get easier, bump up intensity or get newer, longer/harder videos. You really can keep challenging yourself with an at home workout system!
Laureedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #11  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

I also have stuck to a program without going to a gym. VCR tapes ( I know, so old-fashioned, lol) and DVDs and calorie counting/low-carb.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #12  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryesings View Post
In my opinion, the exercise you'll actually do is the right exercise.
I LOVE this!! So true.

No gym membership here. I didn't even start to incorporate serious exercise into my plan until April when I was about 10 lbs shy of my goal weight.

I know what you are saying, though. I adore my Pilates DVD, but I never feel like I've really worked out because it isn't cardio & my heart rate never really gets going.

BTW (and I'm sure you already know this), there are some super intense at home DVDs, too, if you are really interested in finding something to kick your tushie.
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Weight loss mostly has to do with what you eat although moving more, however you move and building muscle helps with weight loss. If you aren't eating right, you can go to the gym 2 hours/day and won't lose weight.
I agree it is mostly diet but for me they work in tandem if I exercise I am more likely to eat well and vice versa . I got started using DVD's and still use them occasionally. Gym memberships for me are time wasters by the time I get dressed drive there and back I could have stepped out the door for a walk/jog and been back home.
jeanies is offline   Reply With Quote