Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'8

Unhappy I can barely exercise!

I'm not extremely overweight, I just have about 20 something more pounds to lose, but I absolutely have NO endurance when it comes to exercise. I was on the treadmill for 15 minutes today and thought I was going to die. What can I do about this, because I am getting really frustrated and considering quitting altogether.

Any tips will be helpful..thanks
hiswifeylee09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/190/147

Height: 5'7"

Try doing the C25k program on the treadmill. I don't know if this is what you do, but you can't just jump on a treadmill, start running a 5k or even doing the elliptical and expect to have the endurance of someone who's been doing it for awhile.

Work on your fitness, start out slow and then build up as your body is ready for it.
audrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'8

Oh believe me, I'm not expecting that. I was walking...at 3.5..thats it
hiswifeylee09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/190/147

That's ok, if that's not at the level of fitness you are yet it'll take your body some conditioning to get used to even that pace. It takes time and dedication. The issue with exercise isn't necessarily being overweight or not, but your fitness level as well. Even people who are their normal weight struggle at the gym with the slightest things if they are unfit.

Like anything else, it takes time.
audrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #5  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

My advice is to start slow & build up. If 15 minutes is all you can do, then do it! Commit to 3-4x/week and increase your time by 10% each week until you are walking for as long as you want. Once you've mastered duration to your satisfaction, then you can think about speed/distance if you want.

I would also encourage you to consider incorporating some type of strength training, not just cardio. There are several do-it-at-home DVDs you can get either from your library or from the store. Building up your core strength has several benefits & will help you to improve your cardio.

For now, focus on the routine - make it manageable & build the habit. You'll be pushing yourself to do more before you know it.

Cheryl

Last edited by cherylmn; 08-05-2010 at 04:08 PM.
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #6  
From Victim, too Fighter

S/C/G: 238/238/160

Height: 5'7

What you don't realize is you ALREADY DID IT!!!!!!!! I am so very very proud of you, and guess what 15 minutes, is 15 minutes!!!!!! So please pat yourself on the back dear!!!!This is what I did, and it is really hard at first, I will not lie.. but I really PUSHED myself through the pain, and lack of energy.. I put on Music I LOVE which is Nickelback, really gets me feeling great, then I just WALKED!!! I started out at 2.0 mph on my treadill, and am Now up to 3.0.. but hey.. gring it up, slow it down, bring it up, slow it down.. If I got winded, I seriously took it down to turtle pace * seriously*, then when I got my sea legs back.. took it back up ( it really helps to do this, if you feel like you just cannot take another step..I am only two weeks into really STICKING to any type of activity * yay me *, and I really have more energy and less weakness then I did the first few days!!! I promise you, you will get to where things are easier.. Take it day by day, this is what I am doing !
MCKMNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

When I started I couldn't finish 5 MINUTES on the elliptical trainer. I did 20 minutes on a recumbent bike and nearly died. I still hate the treadmill with every fiber of my being, though I use it when I need something different.

You start small and work up. You conquered 15 minutes...so next time try 17. Then after that jump to 20. Work up to more and more.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #8  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

A few years ago when I started really exercising I could barely complete my three mile walk every morning. I felt like my lungs were going to explode doing just 15 minutes of low impact aerobics. And now I can do an hour of step aerobics, with jumping and all. Just keep working at your current max, push yourself (but not TOO hard), and you will be able to do more and more. It's okay if you can't do what other people can, just do what you can.

It helps a lot to find something you enjoy. Maybe the tredmill just isn't your thing. Not every exercise suits every person. Personally I -have- to have something that makes me think (like choreography) or I notice my exertion much more because of boredom. Even with my favorite music I usually can't do more than 20 minutes on a stationary bike, whereas I can be much more out of breath and "feeling the burn" more with a DVD I enjoy and last quite a bit longer.
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Endurance isn't related only (not even perhaps primarily) to weight. In fact, in my experience, it's tied more with your activity level. I've been in much better shape at even higher weights than I am currently.

You gain endurance by pushing yourself. It doesn't have to be far. If you can only do 10 minutes comfortably on the treadmill, then try to do 11, and in a few days try 12. You want to push yourself a little, but you don't want to push yourself until it feels like anything is going to explode.

Quitting is the worst thing you can do, because the less you DO, the less you CAN do.

Part of what got me onto disability was avoiding activity. For years I had been having worsening asthma and COPD (that every doctor said was due to my weight gain). It was really bad during exercise or activity, so I started getting fearful of exertion. The less I did, the less I was able to do.

Well, it turned out that the lung problems were actually being caused by NSAIDs (I've been on a prescription NSAID since I was 25, and my first "asthma" symptoms started shortly after). It's not an uncommon side effect, and yet no doctor ever suggested removing me from the NSAIDS they just prescribed more and more asthma drugs and stronger NSAIDs and stronger asthma drugs, and stronger NSAIDS...

Only by a fluke did I learn that most of the lung issues were caused by the NSAIDs (I ran out of money to buy either and had to spend two weeks without them. My sinus and lung problems disappeared, and I didn't need my inhaler - it seemed like a miracle).

It's been a struggle to regain endurance and stamina, but I've made tremendous progress. It doesn't look like a lot of progress (even to me) sometimes because you forget what you couldn't do before, if you don't write it down. Progress is sometimes slow enough that it doesn't really seem like much until you compare it to where you started.

So write it down. Do what you can do, and write it down. Three months from now, read through your exercise log, and you'll be AMAZED at where you are compared to where you started.

You don't have to wait that long, of course - you can reread it every day but only by comparing points seperated in time do you really see enough progress to feel it's been worth it. You might see improvements in only a couple weeks, or you might feel that the progress is too slow to be worth it - DON'T let yourself thing that. It's the quickest way back to the couch.

You will gain endurance, but only if you keep at it. Endurance doesn't come with weight loss, it comes with pushing yourself a little further every time.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:19 AM   #10  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Stick with it, keep doing it until it get's easier, then increase time.

I started out walking at 3.8 on the treadmill for 25 minutes, now I'm at the point where I walk at 3.8 for two min, run at 5.3 for 3-4 min, alternating until I'm done that 25 min.

I agree with the above that said to incorporate strength training, I've only been lifting weights for about two weeks and I was able to run for 6 minutes straight a few days ago!

And it's true that it's not about your weight, it's your fitness level. I have a friend who is stick thin who get's out of breath walking too long. Losing weight is just a side benefit of how healthy and great you'll feel as your fitness level improves.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #11  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I agree - I first started with walking around the block! Thought man this sucks! I just kept at it and kept adding. No way in heck could I have walked 3.5 for 15 minutes even when I started! So you are off to a great start in my eyes! Keep it up and you will get there!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote