Old 08-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #1  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

Height: 5'6"

Default Fell SO far off the wagon...

...that I had to grab a bus to get back on!

Started innocently enough with an induction friendly dessert. Made it from the 2002 Atkins recipe section. I think the sweetener in it set off MAJOR carb cravings - I ended up having a 3 day carb binge.

Lesson learned. Colitis flared up something awful!

Back on track as of tomorrow and I guess I know that I'm not ready for indulgences just yet. In fact I may need to accept that I can't have them at all. And I really need to learn to be okay with that.
Simona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:29 AM   #2  
Oh, you stubborn Viking!

S/C/G: 342/SEE TICKER/192

Height: 5 ft 9 in

But the important thing is you have a renewed vigor to continue on your journey! And you learned your limits and just how badly a slip can make you feel! So all in all, maybe an important lesson...good luck!
LacieRene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #3  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Oh, Simona, I'm glad you posted. Yesterday afternoon I prepared the ice cream from Atkin's New Diet Cookbook (1995). The recipe specifically said it is fine for induction - and it should be - nothing off plan. I ate some for dessert last night...and it is amazing! Really amazing, not diet amazing...BUT this morning, the first thing I wanted (before I'd even made my coffee) was more ice cream and then TOAST popped in my head.

I made my coffee and opened my email and saw your thread. Thank goodness, it helped me realize immediately why those were my first thoughts. I haven't acted on my evil thoughts - I couldn't make toast in this house if my life depended on it - but I understand why I had them.

I'm not drinking artificial sweetners at all, so my body and my head read the Splenda as SUGAR. Now I'm going to fight carb cravings for several days although I didn't go off plan. That is just WRONG! Like you, I'm not ready for even Atkins treats. Sugar-free jello and whipped cream doesn't trip the carb cravings, but the ice cream does for sure.

Congratulations for going right back on plan! We can do this!
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

Diet cherry or orange soda poured over a 1/2 of frozen unsweetened whipped cream has been one of my favorite Atkin's "treats".

I find that soda and coffee both trigger my wanting carbs, but I don't think it's the sweeteners so much as my association between these things and sweets or bread.

Last edited by nancymae; 08-06-2010 at 05:41 PM.
nancymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #5  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

That sounds yummy, but I'm confused. "1/2" a what of frozen unsweetened heavy cream? 1/2 cup? 1/2 Tablespoon?
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote