General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #1  
Gonna Do It This Time!

S/C/G: HW259/CW192ish/150

Height: 5'7"

Default The Great Closet Clean Out

I've been putting off having a huge closet clean out for months now. A few days ago I realized that I've delayed doing it because I'm pretty sure I'll have next to nothing left to wear. Most of the pants and shirts I own are AT LEAST 2, if not more, sizes bigger than what I currently wear and I have very little that actually fits. What has helped motivate you to get rid of all the old stuff and make way for the new? I need some serious motivation!
stillwagontsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Oooooo, I just love cleaning out my closet. Here's why:

1. It's just so much nicer when it's neat and clean and organized -- and that's easier to do when it's not overcrowded.

2. When you clear out all the stuff that's too big, it's easier to "see" what's left. Less overwhelming to open up and look through every morning.

3. If you leave your too-big clothes in there, you just might end up wearing them out of desperation or habit. How often have you cinched up those too-big pants with a belt? And that never really does look right. We have earned the smaller sizes, so let's wear 'em!

4. Here's a tip from my dear GF -- if you're married, your partner will *never* understand why you need new clothes if you've got a stuffed closet. You have to clear out all that stuff you're not wearing to really demonstrate how few things you have so you can justify buying more. (And some of us need to do this to justify those purchases to ourselves, not our partners).

I just packed a box with pants that literally were falling off when I walked. I am struggling with whether to donate them or just stick them in the deepest darkest corner of the basement. Some people say you have to commit to the loss by getting rid of the fat clothes... but I've done that before... argh!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #3  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I did a MASSIVE closet clean out a few weeks ago, and I'm so glad that I did. Maybe I just think too deeply into things, but it had a big impact on my whole mindset.

I held onto those big clothes because I am not one to get rid of something if I feel that it still might have a purpose. Why toss something (or donate it, whatever) if I may need it later on? I don't want to buy it again. But that exact way of thinking was holding me back. I will NOT need those big clothes later on because I will NEVER be big again to need to fit into them. This was a conclusion that I needed to come to. I had to convince myself of it, really. So no, those big clothes do not and will not have a purpose in my life, so I needed to get rid of them. I'm a smaller person now who wears small clothes who needs new small clothes and will only have small clothes in my closet. Big clothes do not belong in my reality.

Some people hold onto their big clothes for "just in case." Just in case they fail and gain the weight back and don't want to go through the humiliating process of having to buy all new big clothes. I don't want any "just in case." And anyways, if I do start to gain the weight back and find myself not fitting into my small clothes, having absolutely no bigger sizes in my closet will be a big incentive to get back on the wagon again! I don't want any excuses to put it off! I don't want to think "ugh, these size 4 jeans are getting a bit tight. Oh well, I'll start losing again after the holidays...afterall, I have up to size 14 in my closet." Nope, no way. I want to think "ugh, these size 4 jeans are getting a bit tight. I need to start losing right now or else I'll have to buy bigger jeans butt naked."

Again...probably extreme and overly analyzed. But I must say, having a clean, clutterfree closet containing only small clothes did wonders for me. Yes, my wardrobe is pretty pitiful right now, it'll take awhile to build it up again. But when I open my closet it says "skinny person." Not "currently skinny person who used to be big and is holding onto big clothes in case she gets big again."
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #4  
Gonna Do It This Time!

Quote:
But when I open my closet it says "skinny person." Not "currently skinny person who used to be big and is holding onto big clothes in case she gets big again."
Very good reminder of why I need to have a clear out. Maybe getting rid of the too big clothing will help change my mindset.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #5  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

I love my cleaned out closet. I do have the advantage of working from home so I'm usually in my workout clothes (which are for the most part outfits that are too big for public wearing) allowing me to get by with my currently very limited wardrobe:

1 pair of pants
1 pair of jeans
1 pair of presentable shorts
1 skirt
1 suit
3 dresses
10-12 t-shirts, tops, blouses

I don't have to spend a lot of time thinking about what to wear for any given event, very freeing.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #6  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I bought just enough new clothes to have a few outfits (with fairly frequent laundering) and, then, did my closet clean out about a month ago. The last time I got down to 200, I was too cheap to buy new clothes. I think one of the reasons that I put the 40 pounds back on was an unconscious need to fit back into my clothes! So, this time I spent the money on new clothes. I'll get them tailored and/or replace them if I need to in the future. I'm committed to this weight or lower and now my closet shows that.
gardenerjoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 292/250/175

Height: 5'7''

I'm so glad I found this post! This has been a huge battle for me, as I think I'm bordering on being a "clothing hoarder"! It makes me so sad to get rid of certain items because each item of clothing holds memories for me. Plus, I hate getting rid of things I used my hard earned money to buy. I really need the motivation to continue purging my dressers and closets!

I'm currently 25 years old, and - no joke - own many items of clothing from when I was 14. Am I insane?! I weighed 150-165 throughout my teenage years, and as I gained more and more weight, I never got rid of ANY of those "small" clothes! So, now I have every size pants from 7 to 18! Completely ridiculous, right? I've lost 52 lbs. now, so a lot of the big clothes aren't acceptable anymore. Fortunately, I have my "transition" size clothes waiting for me, from when I was smaller.

Last Saturday I spent hours purging my closet and drawers of the huge clothes (from when I was 250) and the tiny, itty, bitty, slutty clothes (from when I was 16!). I must have taken 10 trash bags of clothes to Goodwill, and I'm only 1/2 done!

Thanks for all your posts, everyone! They're definitely encouraging me to get rid of stuff that does not, and will never fit me!
Danielle2842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #8  
Restart Date: 1/01/2020

S/C/G: 246.2/TICKER/140

Height: 5'4"

I can't wait to get to the point where I clean out my closet and get new stuff. It takes a while to build a wardrobe though. Thanks for reminding me what I am working for! Have fun with it!
leopardspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #9  
Gonna Do It This Time!

Danielle, you're not insane. I'm almost 38 and I still have clothing in a box in the basement that I wore when I was in college...20 years ago! Who's the insane one?? ME!!!! I bit the bullet last night and started putting everything that was too big for me into bags. It didn't take long to almost totally empty my entire closet. Most of my shirts are 26/28s and dresses and skirts are 26s and 24s. What the heck am I thinking? I have come to realize that the local Goodwilll store will be exceptionally happy come Saturday morning and I'm going to have to either plan a major shopping trip or start walking around naked.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #10  
It's a Working Progress

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Maybe you can clean out a little at a time and donate it to charity/Goodwill or what have you if you can't bare to part with everything at once. Also think about the tax break when you file your taxes! It's a charitable contribution.
bnorah is offline   Reply With Quote