Old 08-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #1  

Default 1st day of school!

My kids start school in the morning (year round school!) For 5 weeks I have been mindful of what I am putting in my body and now I don't like eating many processed, prepackaged foods (is it just me or is everything really salty?!!) My kids are the best and they deserve to have the best food in their little bodies as well!

I am preparing meals from Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious cookbook for their lunches and snacks. I know many don't approve of this type of cooking (i.e. hiding vegetables) because they feel that vegetables shouldn't have to be disguised; they should be presented and eaten, but that doesn't fly with my 5 year old. I also serve recognizable vegetables on the side but I don't worry when he doesn't touch them because I know he is getting them in his muffins!

Last edited by 1bighog; 08-01-2010 at 09:52 PM.
1bighog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #2  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Height: 5'6"

I have that book too, and though the idea of people getting their kids to eat vegetables in their regular form is a nice one, and maybe a good ultimate goal to strive for, that definitely doesn't happen with my kids either!!! I really haven't tried many of the recipes because I used to always make excuses to not actually cook, but now I've dusted it off and I'm going to try some of them out. Glad you're being mindful of what your kids eat too, and I hope they enjoy the first day of school!
dudesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #3  
Next mini-goal 184

S/C/G: 204/189/155

Height: 5' 7"

I don't think there is anything wrong with hiding veggies in food for kids. My daughter loves veggies over everything else & we always use to put them in her foods. She loves carrots shredded in cupcakes she thinks they aren't as dry when they get packed in a lunch box. She is a young adult now but when she was in elementary school kids teased her alot because her Mom didn't give her the good stuff (Junk) so she wanted to take the good stuff & still have her veggies. Everything she cooks to this day if veggies can be added she will add them. I know some parents don't like the idea of hiding veggies but if it will lead to them cooking healthy and eating healthy when they are in charge of their own food I can't see it as a bad thing. One of her favorite meals to take to school was spaghetti. Kids were jealous because she got spaghetti alot, she never did tell the kids we always made homemade sauce & we put lots of vegies in it.
Im On A Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #4  

That's awesome, Dee. I hope I can say that about my kids one day.

Well, my girls eat pretty well. My 13 year old eats healthy, just not a lot of food. She is a hard core athlete (practices her sport 20 hours a week, 51 weeks a year) and is underweight. Since she doesn't eat a lot of food, she is mindful of the type of food she puts in her body. My 7 year old just LOVES all food, veggies included. No worries there.

My boys? Really, it's just my 5 year old. Not. One. Single. Vegetable. Ever. He doesn't even eat corn, which I've told him is a grain, because he thinks it resembles a vegetable. My 3 year old does okay on his own, but takes a lot of his cues from big brother so if big brother says it's disgusting, it must be disgusting. Now that I've got him home alone I bet he'll start trying more stuff.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #5  
Here for the party

S/C/G: 187/108

Height: 5'5.5

I just think it's awesome that you're such an aware mom and are really trying to do right by your kids. Not only will it benefit them now, but later. I don't think some parents realise just how lasting food and other habits -- whether good or bad -- that are developed growing up at home. It's really hard to overcome the bad habits you learned growing up that parents reinforce. Conversely, you're getting your kids off to a good start -- I wish I had had a parent like you when it comes to food and nutrition!
fivestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:58 PM   #6  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

My 5 year old is starting Kindergarten too I am scared about what they put in the school lunches and don't want her eating them every day! Right now I don't know what to expect, but will be packing her food most of the time. What kind of things are you going to make for the main dish? I have no idea beyond sandwiches.

I think it's awesome that you're making sure he gets healthy food
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflower View Post
My 5 year old is starting Kindergarten too I am scared about what they put in the school lunches and don't want her eating them every day! Right now I don't know what to expect, but will be packing her food most of the time. What kind of things are you going to make for the main dish? I have no idea beyond sandwiches.

I think it's awesome that you're making sure he gets healthy food
I am using some recipes from Deceptively Delicious, like Tortilla Cigars (awful name, I know!) and chicken nugget recipes. Other things I do, leftover homemade pizza, homemade "lunchables" (I purchase thickly sliced deli meat and cut into chunks, along with cheese and whole wheat crackers), pasta salad (a great cold recipe!), and pigs in blanket made with turkey sausage and crescent rolls. Not everything is perfect but I've got to mix it up for my 5 year old...he won't eat the same foods for more than a couple of days in a row (whereas my 7 year old would eat a pbj every day!)
Old 08-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivestone View Post
I just think it's awesome that you're such an aware mom and are really trying to do right by your kids. Not only will it benefit them now, but later. I don't think some parents realise just how lasting food and other habits -- whether good or bad -- that are developed growing up at home. It's really hard to overcome the bad habits you learned growing up that parents reinforce. Conversely, you're getting your kids off to a good start -- I wish I had had a parent like you when it comes to food and nutrition!
This made me feel awesome. Thank you. You know, I read something posted on another forum at 3FC that really made me think. A mom posted about getting McDonald's for her kid and husband but skipped it herself to stay on track, then remarked that her kid and husband were skinny and could stand to gain weight. Someone else replied, "Even skinny people don't need McDonald's." It was like a light bulb came on in my head. My kids deserve better.