Old 08-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #1  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Post-Dental Surgery - What'll I eat? Help!

I'm starting this thread to ask for help finding things I can eat after the dental surgery I had last Wednesday. I've cross-posted this with my "What's for dinner" thread today. I really need everyone's help; I'm afraid I'll give up. It's not good for me to be anxious; I freak out and eat.

I can't chew salads, beef, or chicken. I can eat eggs, vegetables I can cook until they're soft, creamed soup, ground beef if I'm careful. I can eat cheese if it's very soft or melted. I've had lots of sugar-free jello and whipped cream. I also have some Atkins induction friendly shakes. Maybe I can eat beef filet if it's very tender beef and I cut it up into tiny bites?

I know I ate too much cheese yesterday, so I'm worried about not losing anything this week. The dental thing is going to be for about a month - my gum has to heal, the stitches have to melt, and I'm getting a bridge made. Yesterday, I just had a giant anxiety attack like "OMG, what am I going to eat?? I can't eat Atkins..." but staying on plan isn't an option. My head is right, and I have to stay with it.

My anxiety level is through the roof 'cause I know this situation isn't going to be resolved until after school starts. I'll have to take my lunch and a snack every day - what'll I take? I'm thinking maybe shakes and cottage cheese? How can I get enough protein? I want to stay on induction since I have a lot of weight to lose.

I really appreciate your help.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Sorry to hear about your dental surgery, hope you heal up quickly!

Since you want to stick with Induction, pureed meats & veggies, eggs, Induction friendly cream soups & quiche's (from Linda's low carb site) sugar free jello with whipped cream are your safest bet. Faux "mashed potatoes" (cauliflower) are delish! I found a recipe a while back on another site that is basically ground beef seasoned with garlic powder, oregano, parsley, pepper & onion powder browned & drained with an 8 oz block of cream cheese added and a can of Rotel tomatoes. OMG! I LOVE this stuff!

If you want to follow a strict Induction, cottage cheese would not be permitted. That being said, given your circumstances, you may or may not want to consider it. You may want to think about tuna, egg and chicken (finely ground) salad for snacks. Deviled eggs are great snacks too!

Your experience with Atkins shakes may vary, they cause some to stall and others are fine with them.

While you do have some limitations due to the surgery, doing Atkins isn't completely impossible

Take care of yourself and feel better soon!

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #3  
Less Juicey

Default Thank you for the recipe and the tips!

Thanks so much for the recipe and the tips. The thought of pureed anything (except veggies) is kind of gross, but it's definitely a possibility. I haven't weighed this week (Thursday is my day), so I'll get a gauge on how the shakes and extra cheese have affected me. I'll try the ground beef recipe - it sounds delicious and easy - as soon as I go to the store and get some tomatoes.

I'll hold off on cottage cheese until I'm losing steadily and well and then try it...by then, chewing won't be an issue! It's best for me to be on a very structured program and in a routine. Otherwise, I give myself too many deviations that add up too quickly.

Have a great week and thanks again.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #4  

I cooked the beef or chicken first, cooled it, then put it through the chopper until it was very tiny pieces, almost like ground.
I layered soft veggies and meat in buttered baking dish, poured on seasoned egg mix (like quiche), topped with a bit of cheese, baked until set.

When cold this travels well, can be eaten cold or nuked if you prefer. Dip in sauce of choice.

It's been awhile since I did this. I just made it up as I went along, and now I don't remember the details.
I don't think I wrote it down, but if I can find it in my recipes, I'll post again.
Sherrie568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #5  
Less Juicey

Default Thanks!

Thank you for the ideas; I'd appreciate any recipes you find. The quiche idea is a good one since I can take the squares in to school.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: starting size 18/ Goal size 10

Height: 5'5''

Egg Salad would be good or use low carb yogurt a splash of heavy cream blended for a yummy smoothie. ( I like peach).

Good luck
ghost girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #7  
Less Juicey

The peach smoothie sounds like a real treat. I'll have to find the lowest possible carb yogurt. I'm trying to stay on induction for a long time since I have lots to lose. Thanks for the idea - I'll put peach yogurt on my shopping list.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Don't mean to be a killjoy but....no yogurt during Induction.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #9  
Less Juicey

Default We need you...

to keep us straight! Okay, we'll wait on that smoothie until I'm much closer to my goal. As I said, it's no bueno for me to make little exceptions for myself...that's how I gained 80 pounds...one little exception at a time.

Thanks, JerseyGyrl!
Old 08-02-2010, 02:02 AM   #10  

S/C/G: starting size 18/ Goal size 10

Height: 5'5''

you are so right, thanks for keeping me on track.
ghost girl is offline   Reply With Quote