Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/127/120

Height: 5'3

Default Is biking painful for you?

Is biking painful for you? I'm average weighted, and it's not painful on me, but a little uncomfortable on the crotch region. My boyfriend who is about 70 lbs overweight refuses to bike because it's so uncomfortable for him.. I wonder if it's the extra weight, or him having a man package? Anyone have any suggestions on bike seats, shorts, or any suggestions at all to make biking more endurable?
blindcantaloup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #2  
Am I skinny yet?

S/C/G: 173/*ticker*/145

Height: 5'8"

My boyfriend is 6'1" and about 275 and he's a cyclist. I also bike with him. We've been doing about 20-25 mile rides once a week. A good pair of bike shorts will help a lot! I didn't want to spend the money on them at first, but am glad I did! (Just got to a bike shop and they can help you...they have different levels of padding. Mine are Louis Garneau.) More than that, it's just getting used to it. Go on short rides every few days and add a little distance each time. As far as the package, Blake has an Adamo Road Saddle. (just Amazon it...it won't let me post the link) Pricey, but keeps pressure off of certain places, I guess. He read something about high sterility rates in male cyclists and freaked I think. lol Your sit bones will be sore at first, but just recover and keep adding time/distance a little at a time. Like I said, we do about 22 miles and neither of us has any pain. It like it soooo much more than running! Good luck!
GenetJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #3  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

A good bike shop can take an imprint of your butt and recommend the appropriate seat.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

When I bought a bike a couple years ago, I was in incredible pain after only 5 minutes (and it was worse the next day). A wider bike seat solved the problem.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #5  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

I agree, it's the seat. I find that basic seats that come with bikes are very painful. When I first got my bike, I couldn't tolerate more than a ride around the bock and it left me feeling bruised for a couple days. I bought a nice wide padded seat with springs underneath and I find it very comfortable. A good seat can cost around $40 but it it very worth it
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #6  
SGeranium

Height: 5"8

There is a certain amount of building up of tolerance as well. If I take a break in winter or whatever I need to wear my padded short FOR SURE. By the end of summer it doesn't really mater one way or the other. Seat adjustment/ bike fit has a lot to do with riding comfort as well.
SGeranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Definitely the seat. I used a male bike for awhile and I rode to and from my jobs for about 1 hour a day 7 days a week. After awhile it really started to hurt my crotch because the seat would constantly drive up into it whenever I rode. Males seem to have a slightly different problem since they need the support pressing up there to keep their "delicates" supported. I suggest you find a new one that works appropriately for him.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I have always found it very uncomfortable, so I don't do it! It is nothing to do with my endurance or anything like that (I am quite athletic), I just don't like the feeling of the bike. There are too many options out there for me to force myself into something I don't care for!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:19 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

There are egonomically correct bike seats for men and women ask your bike shop about them. I have one and love it and haven't had a problem since getting mine about 5 years ago...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote