Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-31-2010, 11:06 PM   #1  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

Default Help!

So today I went to the gym for the first time in at least 8-9 months! So I'm super happy I took that first step by getting back in there and going there.. here is my thing this time I am DETERMINED to do this the right way and to get to goal!

my problem is this I am over 300 lbs and very out of shape! which means i start huffin and puffin not to long into working out right now. I know I'll build up more stamina as I go but .. I got really nervous when working out today I told myself I was gonna push myself after but about 12-13- mins i truly TRULY wanted to quit.. but I said NO I'm going to make it till at least 30 mins! and I did however when I got off (and did do a cool down period and let my heart rate go down before I got off) I was REALLY dizzy and after I walked down the stairs to get to my car i started shaking really bad I almost thought I was going not throw up!

My biggest fear is passing out or throwing up in in the gym.. How far is to ofar? too push yourself? i want to do this right and I want to push myself.. but I don't want to throw up.. I had a personal trainer before and he said it's not a good work out UNTILL you feel that way.. I don't like that feeling it just gives me anxiety.. I guess my question is Do I need to learn to live with that feeling.. to truly get a good work out in? is there a line between pushing yourself Hard and pushing your self TOO hard? I mean I know I'm going to be sore, I know it's supposed to be hard.. I know I'm not really going to enjoy it especially at first How do you know when you've worked out hard enough to make your work out count and actually do you some good versus making yourself feel sick form it? or does it just affect me this badly because I'm so out of shape and so over weight?

Last edited by mariamherrera; 07-31-2010 at 11:08 PM.
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:22 PM   #2  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Are you just walking? I would maybe slow your pace down, add a 1 or 2 percent incline. Try to aim for adding a few minutes every week. There is no cut and dry when it comes to exercise. Its all about tweaking. But I can tell you, the more you are consistent the easier it gets.
The best gauge I have heard is if you can still easily carry on a conversation. It is hard at first when you start exercising. But truly, it does get easier! Just keep going and doing your best!
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/150/140

Height: 5'7

First of all, congrats on going to the gym. That is the first step! I don't think you need to feel like you are going to pass out or throw up for it to be a good workout. I think you need to start small. If you overdo it now, you will not be able to maintain your momentum (which I can totally feel your outright determination! )
You did not say what you were working out on but it sounds like it was the treadmill or perhaps the eliptical? I am not a personal trainer and I will not pretend to be, hopefully someone with more knowledge will post with a plan. Sorry I cannot offer more specific advice but I can offer lots of support-- GO MARIA!!!!

Last edited by LYNNEGAL22; 07-31-2010 at 11:29 PM.
LYNNEGAL22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:34 AM   #4  
started out 6/30/10

Height: 5'2"

Couple of things: first of all, your profile photo is simply beautiful. Second, CONGRATULATIONS on going to the gym. Third, your signature (I can't loose a 140 lbs but I can loose 10 lbs 14 times!) cracked me up!

Okay, down to bizness... what if you worked out for 10 minutes, took a break, and then did 10 more minutes, and worked up from there. For example, you could do cardio, switch to something like light weights to recover, then go back to cardio. Just an idea...

Stick to it!!! A month ago, I felt just like you feel right now. I thought I was going to die and I was certain that I had cracked a hip! But now... I can't even describe how great I feel. YOU CAN DO IT!!
Quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:48 AM   #5  

thank you all!!!

junco! thank you for the compliment on my pic! I love it too! we took it on our 5 year anniversary cruise this past November!

and hehehehe My signature cracks me up too.. to think about losing 140 lbs is too overwhelming for me it's just discouraging it feels like I'll never get there so I look at it as Oh OK I only need to loose 10 lbs. that's not so hard I can do that every few weeks!

As far as my work out went today I was on the elliptical for about 7 minutes and said forget this I'm gonna finish on the tread mill so I did about 25 more mins on the treadmill I also did intervals where I was power walk really fast for like 2-3 mins and make the incline higher and then slow down, and repeat.. My old trainer said that that is the best way to keep from plateau.

Last year I had lost 40 lbs just by diet and I didn't star excerinsing until I was about 280 lbs.Boy I did get a little whoozy form time to time but today really scared me.. Thats why I'm wondering if It's because of the extra weight I have on me now thats it's so much harder.. or just because perhaps this is my work out in ages and I just need to build some stamina again.. I dunno I also would do aqua aerobics mostly fro a work out and then maybe do the tread mill for 15 mins and the elliptical for 15 mins nd taht was it.. so maybe the aqua aerobics helped since it is low impact?

the more I thought about it as well.. It was REALLY hot today.. and when I got outside in the sun I felt worse and then I hopped in my car and the darn AC wouldn't kick in.. so maybe I was just over heated?

I dunno I think I'm just gonna ease in to it the first week or so.. and slowly add more time and resistance / incline as I go along..

or maybe I just get back into the aqua fit class
Old 08-03-2010, 12:14 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I am a personal trainer but I am not a Jillian type of trainer at all, in the real world I really don't think people want an in your face type of person unless they are in very good shape and need pushing to the extreme. I could never push anyone to the point of throwing up or passing out

Take your time work yourself up gradually and eventually you'll be able to push yourself hard without having that feeling to passing out...

Baby steps wins the race in the long run ... Keep up the great work but take your time but be consistent about the whole process because it is a life style...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #7  

thank you Ilene! I Think I'm going to start doing my personal training again but just find a new trainer.. I WANT to be worked HARD but like I said not to the point I feel faint or like throwing up