Old 07-29-2010, 10:50 PM   #1  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

Default government guidelines for calories...

Now this is crazy, the trainer at my daughter's gym told her to go to www.mypyramid.gov to calculate how many calories she needs a day. She's pretty much the same size I am, an inch or so taller and about the same weight. According to their calculator she needs to eat 2400 calories to LOSE weight?! So I tried it, and it said I need 2000 calories a day! Is the government trying to KEEP us fat?!

My nutritional counselor at the local hospital calculated that I need to aim for 1400-1600 calories a day, and I have trouble eating that much.I don't know where she gets her formula but it was based on my weight and activity level. My daughter is more active than I am, chasing 2 kids around-and she does things like zumba and water aerobics classes when she can get to the gym. I told her I wouldn't go any higher than 1800 calories if I were her. Like me, one of her issues is that she isn't eating enough calories unless she hits mcdonalds or something. It really makes me wonder where the government comes up with this stuff. At first it looked like a great website with lots of tools and resources, but I just don't trust their info. What do you ladies think?
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Those numbers are all based on averages. 2000 calories really is the "average" caloric need of a reasonably active woman I think 2400 calories for the average male). The problem is that many people aren't average, and our caloric needs (on average) have been consistently on the decrease.

Ironically while Americans are eating more than ever, we're also burning less than ever. Our caloric needs are dropping every year (because we do less and less physical labor), which means the government statistics are obsolete by the time they've been compiled.

Those numbers may still be roughly accurate "on average" but "on average" means absolutely nothing to you if you're not average.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:40 AM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Well, for me it works out. I know I maintain on 2500. Lopping off 500 cal for a rough -1 lb a week? It works for me.

And that's what mypyramid.gov suggests for a person my age for healthy weight maintaining.

*shrug*

But you know, these things are just a guideline. It gets you in the ballpark maybe, but it takes some fine tuning to locate home plate.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:55 AM   #4  

I easily eat 2000 calories a day and I am 43 and weighed in today at 117.5 (5'4). But it really depends on the personl, activity levels etc!! I certainly don't have a fast metabolism or I would never have gained in the first place.

Last edited by featherz; 07-30-2010 at 07:56 AM.
featherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:01 AM   #5  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I have used mypyramidtracker.gov for my entire weight loss and works great for me. Can't say enough good about that website!
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

YUP I agree those calories may be just right.....I have had testing done that considered BMI, bone mass, muscle mass etc, and to Maintain my bodily systems, in other words, pump my blood, fill my lungs, operate my brain, and hold my body upright in a sitting position, it takes almost 2400 calories to operate! And guess what, if I maintain 1400 cals a day I should be losing 2 pounds a week, right???? NOPE, for ME, and everyone is different, I have to eat more to kick in my metabolism.....I have done alot of damage to it in the past and it is not very forgiving.
Mikkijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #7  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

I lose weight on ~1200 cal/day, maintain on ~1600 and gain on 1800+. That's true whether or not I exercise. Life's a ***** and it's not fair, but there you have it. So much for mypyramid.gov, which claims I should be able to lose 1/2 pound a week on 1800 cal/day.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #8  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

Wow, guess my daughter and I aren't close to average then. Or our idea of moderate/low activity levels are way skewed. I think I prefer to follow what my nutritionist advises as it seems more sensible. The rest of the site does seem to have some good tools to use.
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote