Old 07-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238.5/212/150

Height: 5'1"

Default MRM..does it help?

When I went in to weigh today I asked about sagging skin and was immediately told to start taking MRM, that it would help with skin, hair and nails. Has anyone taken this and seen a difference? I'm really trying to do this without a bunch of pills and dislike everytime I have a question another pill suggestion is the only advice given. Any advice or what works for you?

(sure would be great to have a ticker too..suppose I should post more..lol)
icansucceed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6''

I take MSM...which is what you're talking about. No idea if it helps. My hair has still been falling out, but I expected that as it happens when i lose weight.

I doubt I'll buy it again when I run out of it, but I really wish it helped...I'm gonna have a mess of saggy skin one day.
Hvnlymzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #3  
Never give up!!!

S/C/G: 245/235/185

Height: 5'4"

I take MSM also. I have noticed that my hair does grow more not than before I was taking it. I'm not sure about the skin yet because I haven't lost all the weight, but I'm sure that with the amount of weight I want to lose I will still have some sagging skin especially around my stomach area. I think I didn't take it for a few weeks only because I was out, but I found another website through searching on 3FC & I'm going to start ordering some stuff from them. The name of it is Puritan Pride I believe. I found things were a lot cheaper there.
shannysmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #4  

You can get MSM other places than at MRC. I've seen it at costco for sure. Never compared price or ingredients, but just thought I'd throw that in there.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #5  

What does MSM stand for?
Karen in McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:32 AM   #6  

Thanks for the input. I think I'll hold off on it for now as I've just started on the plan and am nowhere near the sagging skin issue yet. Well other than it already sags from age . I don't think I'll mind it so much around my belly as I won't be wearing a bikini anytime soon but my arms are where my concern comes in.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #7  

MSM = Methyl-sulfonyl-methane
Old 07-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #8  

the standard line is to buy the MSM ... but I think you will find through medical research, it does nothing. Skin elasticity is related to a combination of things.....genetics, age, amount of weight you lost and how long you had it on to begin with etc. I take it for my joints. This was a question a year or two ago on this site and the people who weighed in about it then all said it did nothing.
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #9  

P.S. If you want a laugh about wrinkled skin, I HIGHLY recommend going to You-Tube and pulling up a video called "Wrinkled Ladies" by Anita Renfroe -- it's laugh-out-loud hysterical. Bottom line ... make peace with it.
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #10  

dkmd27~

That video was great, I had to watch it several times. Thanks for the chuckle.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #11  
Never give up!!!

S/C/G: 245/235/185

Height: 5'4"

I saw that video a month or so ago & it made me laugh so hard I cried. That song can so get stuck in your head easily. I do know that taking MSM helps with joints & I have noticed I'm not so stiff as I was before especially in my knees. At work I am constantly bending & squatting so I can totally tell a difference from before I started taking it. They also sell a combo at probably any store of MSM, chondroitin & glucosamine I believe. It does help with joints I do know for sure!!
shannysmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 318/219/175

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmd27 View Post
P.S. If you want a laugh about wrinkled skin, I HIGHLY recommend going to You-Tube and pulling up a video called "Wrinkled Ladies" by Anita Renfroe -- it's laugh-out-loud hysterical. Bottom line ... make peace with it.
I also love her video for "Before I Eat".
SandyKC0SWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #13  

Biotin helps hair and nails also.
saycindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 280/260/140

Height: 5'2"

I've been taking MSM and Omega-3s for the last few months before I even started with the diet. Mostly to help with my aching joints (b/c of the excessive weight) but also to help with my digestive system. I can't say for sure that it's the reason why some of my aches have receded but I *have* noticed that my nails grow much faster and wow is my hair shiny! ; )))

Hvnlymzic - In response re: hair loss - both of my parents experienced hair loss while dieting and I did as well when I have dieted previously. Biotin and especially calcium do help. Calcium and magnesium deficiencies do contribute to hair loss and when dieting these two minerals are usually in short supply. The best recommendation is to make sure that you're taking a multi-vitamin!
hope2lose is offline   Reply With Quote