PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 12:22 AM   #1  

Default What WOE is best for PCOS

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 10 years ago, shortly after my son was born. They treated it with birthcontrol pills for the longest time. I finally went off them. About 3 years ago my new doctor put me on Diane 35 and spironolactone. They didn't work either so I went off them. I also have a fibroid.

My hair is thinning and I have excess hair growth where I don't want it!

What I need help with is this. My doc told me to lose weight (PCOS caused the rapid weight gain in the first place). How? She has no clue! Just do it!

How, in everyone's opinion, is the best way to do this? I've heard LC-- which by the way, it blows my mind how that much fat can be good for you. I heard SB is also good for that.

Please help me! I don't want to be the old lady with the beard and the mustache all the little kids laugh at and run away from. lol

Hope to hear from someone soon!

Old 10-08-2002, 08:10 AM   #2  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

GlucophageXR, exercise and a Diabetic Type 2 diet plan (which you can get through your local diabetes center). Take all of those and all me in the mornin.....LOLOLOLOL j/k

These are the best things you can do/try IMO.

Last edited by HopefulSpirits; 10-08-2002 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:19 AM   #3  

Question Thank you

HopefulSpirits;

Thank you for answering my post but, what is Glucophage XR?

When I have more time I will check out your homepage. I will also find the diabetic type II diet. Will I lose weight on that? Would the Atkins diet or some other LC diet work the same?
Old 10-08-2002, 11:53 AM   #4  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

GlucXR is a drug to treat PCOS.

Diet: There is no "the diabetic type 2 diet". Its tailored to you by visiting a registered dietician at a local diabetes center. Asking for a DT2 diet plan will help her/him understand what PCOS is all about. PCOS is the daughter of diabetes and we treat it as if it were DT2.

My feeling on all the "fad" LC plans is just that. Fad. They dont last longterm, they can hurt you in the long run, they arent tailored. Everyone is different with different lifestyles and needs. Its SOOOO important to get it tailored to you specificially in order for it to last longterm and to help with the weight.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:05 PM   #5  

Thanks again Hopeful Spirits;

I understand what you mean. I will try that.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:06 PM   #6  

LC is not a fad nor is it any dangerous than the "type 2 diabetic plan" I personally follow Atkins and have amazing results. I too have very severe PCOS (as confirmed by blood test and u/s by my doctor) and have been following Atkins for a scant few weeks. Blood tests confirmed my triglycerides and hormones are rebalancing themselves, a fact that not only encouraged my doctor but was strongly in favour of me continuing. I'm sorry, but not any one plan is suited to any one person and although it may not be your cup of tea HS, there are others that have found proven and good success with the WOE. hixgal, please go and see a doctor knowledgeable enough about PCOS or please do check out other links regarding this disorder. An excellent source of support and information is www.soulcysters.com and I hope you can find the WOE that works for you!

My humble 2 cents on the issue...
Old 10-08-2002, 01:24 PM   #7  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

"I'm sorry, but not any one plan is suited to any one person " Exactly my point. This is why I suggest everyone visit a RD to get a tailored plan suitable for that person instead of picking up a plan in a book. I also said that these diets, such as Atkins, arent good for the health longterm. Thats the key word. I have never heard of anyone being on this over 2 years and that was through someone else that the person I spoke with knew. I have never heard of anyone directly through my conversations doing well on ANY book/media diet longer then maybe 18 months at most. I think visiting an RD has the potentional to last a lifetime when taken seriously of course. The person has to want to continue. Many book/media diets end due to physical inability to continue and unrealistic expectations. Again, these are just my POV's.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:08 PM   #8  

I have PCOS and started Weight Watchers a few weeks ago. I feel this is a pretty good program. My future mother in law follows WW and incorporates the old diabetic plan elements.

With my meal plans I try to reduce my carbohydrate intake but feel we do need them all in all. With WW, you can see what you eat every day and make sure you get a balanced daily plan. It's pretty cool.

CD
Old 09-25-2003, 06:32 PM   #9  

Please make sure your doctor checks to see if you are insulin resistant BEFORE prescribing Glucophage. NOT everyone who is PCOS is insulin resistant.
Closed Thread